How many others are dissapointed by this result ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: How many others are dissapointed by this result ?

Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:Another year, another bog average premier.

Here's the premiership forecast

2018 Melbourne, 2019 Essendon, 2020 north, then GWS, freo and Gold Coast will be armchair lifted into winning their first flags.

If I ever run into the 'footy god', he/she is going to need a very good dental surgeon afterwards.
Chuck the Blues in for one as well.
How could I forget that fantastic organisation... by then the pies will also be due.

kaos theory
Club Player

We are St. Kilda and we are CURSED.

I'm a rationalist, but this is hard to take.

1971: up by 20points at 3rd time and lose. In those days, to lead by that much at 3qtr and lose would have been a highly unlikely event....but for not us!
1978: I was still young, but remember we were steamrolling into towards the finals (smashed both gf finalists on the way), but it was a turbulent season, and we just missed out, lost a chance do something special with that momentum.
1980s: We collected more wooden spoons than I care to remember, but we were told we could be big club, if we could get our act together…but we are still waiting…
1991: First final since the 70s, and with momentum could have gone all the way. But that dog Ablett took out N Burke early in the Geelong game, and that was a huge imapct by the end of the game, and we just lost. Under that final system, with momentum and pluggger unstoppable - how knows
1992: one win, then out in finals
1997: This was our huge opportunity, momentum and no other dominating team. But truth is, through bad luck we were falling apart by the time we got to the gf. Lost Joel Smith late in season, then Vidiovic, then Everett in fist final. Then Loewe’s sister gets cancer & Winmar’s father dies just before the game, no luck on the day, and the crows steal a flag.
2004: We had Port on toast in the pf. First, g-Train’s 100 goals cost us momentum, then that freak goal late in the game by wanganeen…. The loins were cooked, we would have won the flag that year.
2005: Injuries killed us, we went into the pf with 6 players out of our best side…
2009: We were the dominating team. Any other yr we would have won the flag by 50+ points. But with our luck there was another dominating team, peaking that yr too. So we had 2 close games, one win each....we know which one we lost..
2010: Again, we were a top team, but just our luck, along comes collingwood, juiced up and playing out of their skins dominating everybody. They demolish last yrs premiers in the pf. But we were well drilled, and had only one shot at it to get it right, the first gf....but luck wasn't quite with us (again), and we got blown away in the replay.

So when teams come out of nowhere teams like crows (97/98), dogs, tigers, (last 2 years) and just waltz in and take flags out of nowhere, it’s hard to take as a saints’ supporter….
Last edited by kaos theory on Sun 01 Oct 2017 12:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

The Tigers were worthy premiers. Simple as THAT! Well done Richmond.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Go Saints! (to hell with the rest!)

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Meh...at least it was a good game! Well done Tiges.

I hope it's a decent season of football next year though...the AFL can pump it up by telling us how 'even' the last 2 seasons have been, when from a punters perspective they've actually been two years of really average, inconsistent football.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:Absolute rubbish to suggest the umpires influenced the result.....onya Curly, finding umpiring conspiracies even when the Saints aren't playing.

Tigers were all over them like a rash. Too much pressure all over the ground. 22 contributors. Barely sighted Lynch, Jenkins, Betts and various others. Sloane had a poor second half.

I don't begrudge them at all. If anything them winning gives me more hope. If the Dogs can do it from 7th and Tigers from 13th the year before, why can't we? Happy for various mates of mine who are life long Richmond fans, feeling the same passion for their club we have for the Saints.
Would much rather teams who haven't drunk from the well for a long time get some water than it just being a roundabout of Geelong, Sydney, Hawthorn etc.......
GREAT post SB! Kudos to you mate! Anyone who wasn't moved by the sight of Richo's tears of joy and Benny Gales tears with his son, and "resents" another sides success, simply because we failed to do it, is (IMHO) a wee bit mean spirited, a poor sportsman and basically a sad person.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

thejiggingsaint wrote:
st.byron wrote:Absolute rubbish to suggest the umpires influenced the result.....onya Curly, finding umpiring conspiracies even when the Saints aren't playing.

Tigers were all over them like a rash. Too much pressure all over the ground. 22 contributors. Barely sighted Lynch, Jenkins, Betts and various others. Sloane had a poor second half.

I don't begrudge them at all. If anything them winning gives me more hope. If the Dogs can do it from 7th and Tigers from 13th the year before, why can't we? Happy for various mates of mine who are life long Richmond fans, feeling the same passion for their club we have for the Saints.
Would much rather teams who haven't drunk from the well for a long time get some water than it just being a roundabout of Geelong, Sydney, Hawthorn etc.......
GREAT post SB! Kudos to you mate! Anyone who wasn't moved by the sight of Richo's tears of joy and Benny Gales tears with his son, and "resents" another sides success, simply because we failed to do it, is (IMHO) a wee bit mean spirited, a poor sportsman and basically a sad person.
Tigers deserved the win.

The Crows were very poor after the 1st qtr and pretty much weak as p##s!! Big Tex, Eddie, Cameron, Jenkins and Lynch were nowhere to be seen.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Couldnt really give a rats who won yesterday but well done to the Tigers. Someone has to win.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
1966 wrote:Congrats to the Tigers.
This win has made me dislike Ross Lyon even more than ever. In 2009 his bloody stupid bubble and defensive game plan and overall negative mindset cost us a flag.
Two years in a row with far inferior sides in the Bulldogs and Tigers they have been positive and embraced their supporters and been successful.
Lyon is the most overrated coach of all time and I honestly believe his negative approach cost us. Let's hope if we ever get there again we can be positive and enjoy it.
I agree. Should have stuck with GT.
Yes......cause GTs positivity in taking us to the movies or resting players to "keep them fresh" for the GF in 05 just worked so well in all those GFs he had us in????

What dribble. As one of Thomas ex assistant said directly to me "he ferked your club" but still we have brain dead psychophants who are mesmerised by Thomas belief cloud rubbish.

Our best chance (outside Lyon sides getting us there 3 times and winning 19 straight in 09) was 2004 with a star studded side and Thomas blew it

Face facts - to win GFs you gotta get there first and Thomas couldn't manage that.....he'd run out of corporate puff by then

“Yeah….nah””
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:Couldnt really give a rats who won yesterday but well done to the Tigers. Someone has to win.
+1 as a lover of the AFL code, I thoroughly ENJOYED the day! The Tigers could have been demoralised by the early two goal start by the Crows, but stuck to their structures and gameplan. There was no way that the win could be put down to " luck " or an "umpiring conspiracy" anyone who thinks along those lines is delusional, and just allowing bitterness to rule their heads.
Has there been a better trophy and medallion presentation? I can't remember the last time I saw such humility and good grace from the winning coach and his captain. No triumphalism or big noting themselves, just an acceptance of their efforts being rewarded. By contrast the " effort" from Tex was woeful, even allowing for his disappointment.
I don't "resent" the Tigers getting the win, I think about good and loyal friends of mine who are long-suffering Richmond supporters and I'm HAPPY for them. The point is not to "resent" the Tigers winning the flag, but to redouble OUR efforts in emulating it!

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

I'm very pissed-off at yesterday's result.

Tuned in at the end, purely just to witness Tirdy being rightfully booed off the stage... :evil:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:I'm very pissed-off at yesterday's result.

Tuned in at the end, purely just to witness Tirdy being rightfully booed off the stage... :evil:
:shock: :? :roll:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
This win has made me dislike Ross Lyon even more than ever. In 2009 his bloody stupid bubble and defensive game plan and overall negative mindset cost us a flag.
Two years in a row with far inferior sides in the Bulldogs and Tigers they have been positive and embraced their supporters and been successful.
Lyon is the most overrated coach of all time and I honestly believe his negative approach cost us. Let's hope if we ever get there again we can be positive and enjoy it.
I agree. Should have stuck with GT.
Yes......cause GTs positivity in taking us to the movies or resting players to "keep them fresh" for the GF in 05 just worked so well in all those GFs he had us in????

What dribble. As one of Thomas ex assistant said directly to me "he ferked your club" but still we have brain dead psychophants who are mesmerised by Thomas belief cloud rubbish.

Our best chance (outside Lyon sides getting us there 3 times and winning 19 straight in 09) was 2004 with a star studded side and Thomas blew it

Face facts - to win GFs you gotta get there first and Thomas couldn't manage that.....he'd run out of corporate puff by then
If you blame GT you also have to blame Rod Butters and management like Archie Frazer. Board should have reined in GT.

It was a different era back then and that wouldn't be allowed to happen now. Very unprofessional and huge conflicts of interest. Friendship between President and coach then that loan and it all going pear shaped. It was never going to end well.

I'm a bit of a GT agnostic but do you reckon Chris Connolly would have done any better? He was the choice for coach.

Does the assistant coach have the initials MM or TD? Sounds like sour grapes but GT was a bit of a tyrant and control freak.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

thejiggingsaint wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:I'm very pissed-off at yesterday's result.

:shock: :? :roll:
Now Dave, putting to one side Tirdy's mental health problems (which do I hope he can get sorted out)...

in what other sport would someone who did the drug cheat thing to the extent Tirdy was party to... not be banned from that sport for life?
Last edited by Dave McNamara on Sun 01 Oct 2017 3:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Moods
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:

Agree Jiggingsaint. Yeah it's disappointing missing our opportunities but why be bitter at others who take there's? Was in Richmond last night and the atmosphere was amazing. I doubt there will be a tiger dynasty. I personally believe that now that the Hawks era has ended it's open season for clubs to jump in and snare a flag. We've gotta make finals first. And some of these young guns we've recruited in the past 3-4 years, ie Paddy, Billings, Acres, Goddard even, have to fulfill their potential. If they do we're a chance.

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

What did Richmond and Bulldogs have, match winners. Bontempelli was a major reason the Bulldogs won last year and it was Dusty this year.
I just want to experience ehat they have just experienced. First step is smart recruiting, that's what Richmond did last year.
Another season over, the teade period is coming, let's hope by the end of November we have something extra to look forward to next year.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Just comes down to whether our guys are motivated to work hard enough. Richmond certainly did, right to the end.

We're pretty cruisey and comfortable as a club right now. The coaches, players and staff all seem pretty happy to keep it at the current pace. They don't seem too stressed - they seem to be enjoying how we're travelling and the luxuries of being involved in a system that's very rewarding for all involved.

We'll find out in due course whether slow and steady wins the race, I suppose.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

longtimesaint
Club Player

Bruce G McAbee wrote:What did Richmond and Bulldogs have, match winners. Bontempelli was a major reason the Bulldogs won last year and it was Dusty this year.
I just want to experience ehat they have just experienced. First step is smart recruiting, that's what Richmond did last year.
Another season over, the teade period is coming, let's hope by the end of November we have something extra to look forward to next year.
Except in very rare cases matchwinners are obtained through the draft and not selling the farm trading.

One year will be our year
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
Lyon is a one-trick pony. Don't forget that in the 2009 GF our forward line got beaten on the day, and we put in a pathetic performance in the 2010 replay with no one stepping up. Poor on-field leadership by the more experienced players.
And don't forget how so many marvelled at the decision to persevere with an out of form McQualter instead putting more games into a Jack Steven or David Armitage in 2010...
Yes Jack had op at a point later in the season but Lyon dropped him not to return well before then

One of the better examples of his 'genius'. But no, it wasn't the 12 AA players he inherited that led to his success, it was his master coaching

linz
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:
tony74 wrote:We will be top 4 before 2020. Could be next year, could be in 3 years. Then you need a touch of luck. We're due for that.

It's all about luck. Get me started and I can talk about 1971,1997,2008,2010. We had chances but strange things happened and if you tell me you make your own luck F-Off. But with the edit I know you're not dismissing our bad run Fireman.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
Enrico_Misso
Saintsational Legend
Location: Moorabbin Chapter of The Royal Society of Hagiographers

kaos theory wrote:We are St. Kilda and we are CURSED.

1971: up by 20points at 3rd time and lose. In those days, to lead by that much at 3qtr and lose would have been a highly unlikely event....but for not us!
1978: I was still young, but remember we were steamrolling into towards the finals (smashed both gf finalists on the way), but it was a turbulent season, and we just missed out, lost a chance do something special with that momentum.
1980s: We collected more wooden spoons than I care to remember, but we were told we could be big club, if we could get our act together…but we are still waiting…
1991: First final since the 70s, and with momentum could have gone all the way. But that dog Ablett took out N Burke early in the Geelong game, and that was a huge imapct by the end of the game, and we just lost. Under that final system, with momentum and pluggger unstoppable - how knows
1997: This was our huge opportunity, momentum and no other dominating team. But truth is, through bad luck we were falling apart by the time we got to the gf. Lost Joel Smith late in season, then Vidiovic, then Everett in fist final. Then Loewe’s sister gets cancer & Winmar’s father dies just before the game, no luck on the day, and the crows steal a flag.
2004: We had Port on toast in the pf. First, g-Train’s 100 goals cost us momentum, then that freak goal late in the game by wanganeen…. The loins were cooked, we would have won the flag that year.
2005: Injuries killed us, we went into the pf with 6 players out of our best side…
2009: We were the dominating team. Any other yr we would have won the flag by 50+ points. But with our luck there was another dominating team, peaking that yr too. So we had 2 close games, one win each....we know which one we lost..
2010: Again, we were a top team, but just our luck, along comes collingwood, juiced up and playing out of their skins dominating everybody. They demolish last yrs premiers in the pf. But we were well drilled, and had only one shot at it to get it right, the first gf....but luck wasn't quite with us (again), and we got blown away in the replay.

So when teams come out of nowhere teams like crows (97/98), dogs, tigers, (last 2 years) and just waltz in and take flags out of nowhere, it’s hard to take as a saints’ supporter….
Exactly.
Great summary of our jinxed history.
So it really Shiites me when the media talk about POOR old Adelaide and Richmond who have (had) the longest GF droughts.
Spare me!

The rest of Australia can wander mask-free, socialise, eat out, no curfews, no zoning, no police rings of steel, no illogical inconsistent rules. 
They can even WATCH LIVE FOOTY!
Vazelos
Club Player

kaos theory wrote:We are St. Kilda and we are CURSED.

Excellent analysis....
2009 we kicked ourselves out of it too.
You say in 2010 Collingwood were juiced... I have heard things what do you know?

Newman
Club Player

Kaos Theory summed it up so well. I've lived through all those eras and man it hurts still to be on one flag in 2017 ... and especially to see Tigers waltz to a flag and the Bulldogs win another with a fairy tale finish. I've always said if we had one in 2009 or 2010 - I'd swap that for being out of finals for 10 years. You not what I'm sayin'. And ... I'd be a lot less bitter.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Just comes down to whether our guys are motivated to work hard enough. Richmond certainly did, right to the end.

We're pretty cruisey and comfortable as a club right now. The coaches, players and staff all seem pretty happy to keep it at the current pace. They don't seem too stressed - they seem to be enjoying how we're travelling and the luxuries of being involved in a system that's very rewarding for all involved.

We'll find out in due course whether slow and steady wins the race, I suppose.
The microwaving of the memberships folks......

That is all I heard in the week after that game.
Whinging, whining, bitter complaining Richmond supporters.

And guess what - it works.

If the way that the team plays is not good enough for their supporters, Ninthmond hear about it - and hear about it - in every media outlet from social to print to radio to TV.

If we get belted like that - WE (the supporters) respond with - well at least it was not as bad as last year, or the umpires, or the ........

We need to threaten to burn our memberships, coaches, players whatever it takes to get the message through

You cannot get paid an average of $300K to JUST TURN UP.

Richmond's win has me bitter, I want that to be us - I want every player on the field to burn with the passion that Richmond had, and every player not on the field to burn even more to be there.

Richmond were not the best team of 2017 - but on the days that it mattered - they were.

If 2018 is just an acceptable year - I am out of here - and I am as passionate as they come - but this is line in the sand stuff - over 40 years of supporting - and I am fed up - it all starts in the trade period.

Earn my support St Kilda - or I WILL microwave my membership!

/RANT DOES NOT END UNTIL WE HOLD THE CUP ALOFT.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Thread should be renamed "Fiery's Thread-O-Whinge"

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!