Finnis says no to Rockliff and Stringer

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Re: Finnis says no to Rockliff and Stringer

Dave McNamara wrote:Well at least this thread has answered one question:

A significant number of Saintsationalists strongly endorse the shipping-out of a bloke who was/is arguably the game's greatest ever centreman.

A dual Brownlow medalist, dual team of the century member, dual premiership player, and dual clothing attire wearer.

Btw, we lost the 1971 GF by 7 points. We were nearly five goals up just before 3/4 time, and running all over them. Could still having had a dual everything player in the team have seen us over the line in '71? And look how the histories of the two clubs who played that day have gone since. :( Sliding doors...?

Could having another dual bloke (great issues, but also great talent) in our team get us over the line the next time? Sliding doors again...?
Dave, footy history is littered with footy clubs tolerating superstars and their bad habits. I recall many years ago coaching Mark Evan's daughter in netball and having a chat with him after a game. He was Hawks footy manager at the time. He admitted to me that he spent 40% of his time dealing with buddy franklin and the other 60% with the rest of the list.

I wouldn't be surprised if guys like Carey (probably not as bad) Gary Ablet Snr, Lockett in his day, were all as bad. I guess the difference is if the guy is a match winner and playing great footy more is tolerated. Leigh Matthews tolerance for Aka became less and less the more Aka was injured or just wasn't performing like he used to. Was always a tool, but if they're not going to win you games, why put up with them?

Stringer has done nothing for 2yrs and appears incapable or unable to address his issues. I was in the camp thaht didn't want Ben Cousins at the Saints back in 09 (partly because of his hamstring issues but also the questionable influence he may have over the younger guys) and I was dead against us recruiting Lovett - as much to do with him being a DH as a notorious lazy prick. He proved to be both within a month of arriving at our club unfortunately.

Gardiner we got for nothing, so was worth the punt, and in my view it paid off.

Back in the day when the likes of Ian Stewart and John Nichols were running around, far more was tolerated. No where near as much money involved in footy so scandals didn't hurt footy clubs like they do these days. Also the media was probably about 1/100th what it is today. A real boys club and most of the journo would be aware of indiscretions off the field but wouldn't report on it. Was considered boys being boys. Times have changed

Francis Urquhart

Re: Finnis says no to Rockliff and Stringer

This Stringer fellow's behaviour makes him totally unfit to ever be a St Kilda employee.

My Tory party however... :wink:

(Stamper is getting a bit long in the tooth.)

F.U.

Sorry Kevin Spacey, but for me, there’s only one, magnificently Machiavellian F.U.