Geeez that Tom Lynch goes alright!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Re: Geeez that Tom Lynch goes alright!

Con Gorozidis wrote:
perfectionist wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:Think you're right. Not many surprises in recruiting now. It's all in the development.
And the Crows have about $6 million more per year to spend on development than we do.
IS that correct?
That is a huge difference.
Certainly telling.
There were massive differences before the AFL capped the footy department spends. They have a far bigger network of scouts, both volunteers and professional. Their facilities have always been ahead of the rest of the comp. and they do have a very good development system. The evidence is in how few top picks they have had, yet have been remarkably consistent. I'd imagine they would spend a lot of money on the off field stuff that doesn't make it onto the books. There are plenty of ways to circumnavigate the footy department spend caps. Much easier than fiddling the salary cap.

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Reckon he would have got a lot more game time under Watters. Watters at the time said he tried to convince him to stay but his mind was already made up.

We used the pick we got on Jack Newness. 2 or 3 years ago I would have said we had maybe broken even but definitely surpassed Jack by a long way now.

All I can say is thank god we picked up Membrey but having both would have been very handy.

Lynch kicks it to Membrey.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

1966 wrote:He is a star. Local kid who grew up supporting St Kilda.
Ross Lyon has a lot to answer for but media are scared of him so won't ask him tough questions.
Lucky he left when he did as Jack Steven also had one foot out the door before Ross took the money.
There is no denying that Ross cost us Lynch, but he cost us a lot more than that.

His reluctance to play Armo, Geary, and Jack Steven in more games in 2009 was a mistake and he kept denying younsters opportunities, to the detriment of the whole team and to the detriment of our campaigns in the lead up to finals.

If we had a different coach in 2007-2011 we probably would have won at least 1 flag. Ross was not the great coach we were led to believe. The sycophants were singing his praises for his style, but the lessons of the last few years, prove that the myth and aura around the bloke were created and perpetuated falsely. His blame shifting and unwillingness to accept responsibility for team selection and for the grand final losses is why he irks me.

Stubborn, closed minded and a philosophy more suited to suburban football where you play your best 22 week in week out. That was Ross Lyon at St Kilda. Young players who had not served their apprenticeships only got a game when we were 19 wins and zero losses in home and away. What a stupid, antiquated, uncreative, short term thinker was Ross Lyon. We had talent on the sidelines and Ross ignored them. Acoording to the book of ross you don't play young guys in finals. Townsend and Butler and even Daniel Rioli wouldn't have got a look in.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Didn't this bloke request to be traded so he could follow his girlfriend back to her home?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Didn't this bloke request to be traded so he could follow his girlfriend back to her home?
I'm under the impression that Adelaide approached him, made an impressive pitch as to how they'd use him and he wanted to be nowhere else since then

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

All academic now. No point in rehashing it five or so years after the event.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
stonecold
SS Life Member

Good player, Gold Coast, Co-captain!!!!!

Shame injuries ruined he's season!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯