Time for Wayne Hughes to earn his keep.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Time for Wayne Hughes to earn his keep.

The pressure is on our recruiting and list management teams. Picks 7 and 8 don't come along as a package (unless you are a Frankenstein's monster type club) very often. Wayne Hughes was brought on board to identify and target "gettable" uncontracted players and FAs. He's getting paid around $300 K for the privilege, so it would be reasonable to expect he will deliver. In fairness to Wayne, so far, not bad. Carlisle, Steele, Stevens and Brown. Two potential elites and a couple of cheap, GOPs.

This year is the acid test. We are in a strong position if we decide to trade. Picks 7 & 8 are tempting candy for those who don't normally get access to the early picks. Who are the players we should be targeting from the likes of Geelong, Adelaide, Swines, Ninthmond and GWS. The trick here is to find the "next Dusty", not the current one. I know some of you will howl me down, but Jake Stringer is worth the punt. Watts, Gaff, Salem are all good types that we could use, but they will never be elite. I'd be looking at Taranto, Gallucci, Greene, Lynch, Thompson and (gulp) Ablett. There are plenty of others, even if they are contracted. Deals need to be done. What would you do?

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Re: Time for Wayne Hughes to earn his keep.

$300k to turn around and say 'we missed Kelly'

Reckon I could do that for half the price

Nee!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Can we pick up anyone good AND hang on to our 2017 and 2018 first round draft picks?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:$300k to turn around and say 'we missed Kelly'

Mate, Kelly was never going to leave GWS.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
MickThomas
Club Player

$300k.
For doing a job similar to an economist- it's insane.
What a waste of money

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

If Kelly didn't want to go then so be it. Its not anyone's fault at the Saints. They offered him heaps more money and a number of years.

Same as for North and any other club.

The kid wanted to stay in Sydney. Stiff s***.

Plus...there are plenty good players that will crop up in trade period that we could potentially nab. I would still like to keep either pick 7 or 8 though and get a speedy mid/wing type with top notch skills.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:
fugazi wrote:$300k to turn around and say 'we missed Kelly'

Mate, Kelly was never going to leave GWS.
The point is , the ridiculous figures paid out for these roles.

But as the OP said, it's time for him to earn that money....if it ends up being a shrug of the shoulders and something that amounts to ...'well Motlop is available'...then I reckon that role looks pretty redundant.

Nee!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I am amazed we ever offered Hughes a job. His record is appalling.

noddy04
Club Player

How does everyone know Wayne is being paid $300,000 Is there a site that has these payment figures on them?. As for trying to get Ablett....are you insane the guy is just about washed up. IMHO

Legendary
Club Player

I doubt Wayne Hughes is even earning six figures.

Recruiting is not a highly paid job unless you're the head honcho.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Wayne Hughes does alot more than just chase free agents. Hope people realise this.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Legendary
Club Player

Also, his record at the Blues wasn't that bad (in hindsight).

Gibbs, Murphy and Kreuzer were logical number 1 choices.

He chose Josh Kennedy at pick 4. Nailed that one.

He also took Garlett, Carazzo, Jamison and Betts in rookie drafts.

Yes, he had a few failures in the top 20, but no more so than other clubs (including ourselves).

degruch
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:Wayne Hughes does alot more than just chase free agents. Hope people realise this.
Looking at half the posts in this thread, nope, I don't think people do.

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Legendary wrote:I doubt Wayne Hughes is even earning six figures.

Recruiting is not a highly paid job unless you're the head honcho.
I know someone who put in for the job and that was the money on offer.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:He's getting paid around $300 K for the privilege, ?
If he is getting $300K in that role Bains is incompetent.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote:Wayne Hughes does alot more than just chase free agents. Hope people realise this.
Indeed, PS. His task is to target players we might be able to lure to the club, whether they are FAs or uncontracted. Even the contracted ones aren't off limits. A deal can always be done if the respective parties agree. I think, so far, so good. He's done ok. This is the acid test though. 2017-8 are critical. We need a bit of polish and we've never been better placed to get it.

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

noddy04 wrote:How does everyone know Wayne is being paid $300,000 Is there a site that has these payment figures on them?. As for trying to get Ablett....are you insane the guy is just about washed up. IMHO
I reckon Ablett has 2-3 good years left in him. He would come at a bargain price for someone who's still elite. Washed up? Did you see him play this year? Still chalked up several 40+ possession games. He would improve our group. The quality is still there. Might just be the difference between mediocrity and genuinely challenging. Think outside the square.

MickThomas
Club Player

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:
noddy04 wrote:How does everyone know Wayne is being paid $300,000 Is there a site that has these payment figures on them?. As for trying to get Ablett....are you insane the guy is just about washed up. IMHO
I reckon Ablett has 2-3 good years left in him. He would come at a bargain price for someone who's still elite. Washed up? Did you see him play this year? Still chalked up several 40+ possession games. He would improve our group. The quality is still there. Might just be the difference between mediocrity and genuinely challenging. Think outside the square.
someone mentioned his connection to a god-bothering cult community in Langwarrin or somewhere in Melbourne's eastern rural sector,
so the Saints could be well placed.
Also he might want to avoid the Cats as the old "catching up with an ex-partner" reluctance?

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

MickThomas wrote:
someone mentioned his connection to a god-bothering cult community in Langwarrin or somewhere in Melbourne's eastern rural sector,
Also he might want to avoid the Cats as the old "catching up with an ex-partner" reluctance?
I've heard the bit about the church as well, MT. He's very short odds to go to the pussies, but they're not offering him much in terms of salary, sources say as low as 250k per year. This will be supplemented by local sponsorship deals and incentives. We could throw a fair bit more at him. I reckon he could pay for himself in increased membership and sponsorship alone. It's a bit of a pipe dream ATM, but you have to dream, don't you?

MickThomas
Club Player

MickThomas wrote:
I've heard the bit about the church as well, MT. He's very short odds to go to the pussies, but they're not offering him much in terms of salary, sources say as low as 250k per year. This will be supplemented by local sponsorship deals and incentives. We could throw a fair bit more at him. I reckon he could pay for himself in increased membership and sponsorship alone. It's a bit of a pipe dream ATM, but you have to dream, don't you?
$250k p.a. plus the Visy-esque added cream is far too low, for someone of his pedigree.
But if he rebuffed the lure of the pussies :shock:
would that have a long-term impact on his earning ability in Sleepy Hollow, when he retires,
as local businesses might be miffed that he spurned their club?

Or could he just like other former players and buy a pub, restaurant, motel,
buy large units in an industrial estate and lease those to businesses;
be a silent partner in an accounting firm, etc etc
It wouldn't matter if he didn't finish his playing days at Kardinia Park, then.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

MickThomas wrote:
I wonder what G. Ablett thinks about this SSM vote given his godly background. Will the AFL deregister him if he says "no". :shock:

They changed their logo to "Yes" after all.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

way off the mark here
he is not coming back to Vic for the money - he left for money
he is coming back to finish his career at Geelong (and another shot at a GF - imagine a forward line of Ablett and a resting Dangerfield)

Seeya
Saintly Passion
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
Absolutely no way known. Would be lucky to be getting six figures! Role is mid-level and reports into Elshaug

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Saintly Passion wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
Absolutely no way known. Would be lucky to be getting six figures! Role is mid-level and reports into Elshaug
How do you know what he's getting? Most people would be horrified to learn how much most of the hangers on earn. It's a gigantic boys' club that looks after itself.

Long Term Injury
Club Player

If I remember correctly he was pretty central to getting the Irish boys to the club... I think the next few years will tell us how successful that part of his role was. I know Tony74 was pretty bullish about one of them