How could you NOT win a Premiership with this ....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: How could you NOT win a Premiership with this ....

Con Gorozidis wrote:Opposite end of the spectrum. Look at the Crows. Lost Dangerfield. Suffered draft penalties after over paying Tippett (who was hopeless anyway).
A captain off the rookie list.
Incredible effort by the coaching staff and recruiters.
And just that small issue of their coach getting murdered.

I've given up hating them over 1997 and want them to win the flag this year. Means GWS miss out and Richmond's flag drought continues.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Opposite end of the spectrum. Look at the Crows. Lost Dangerfield. Suffered draft penalties after over paying Tippett (who was hopeless anyway).

I've given up hating them over 1997 and want them to win the flag this year. Means GWS miss out and Richmond's flag drought continues.
I still hate the Crows, but I've been backing them to win the GF since early in the year. They have clearly been the best team, they're a goal kicking machine, and most importantly...they have the best coach going aoround. Apart from Clarkson who is not in the race this year I really rate Don Pyke. The coach and the game plan of Adelaide is key imo.

Compare our 2009 year to the Crows in 2017. They finished on top and so did we. We were the best team by a long shot throughout 2009 with an amazing 19 wins in a row since the start of home and away. The Crows have also been the best team with 6 wins in a row, a loss down in Tassie in round 7 then an amazing 12 wins in a row after that.

We had a coach in 2009 who was the media's darling and a gameplan built around our 'genious' coach's philosophy of defend first and play the percentages, rather than an attacking style which creates opportunities to score goals like the Crows in 2017. Our coaches philisophy was based on young fellows doing an apprenticeship for 4 years before getting a look in. Our coach in 2009 preferred playing his first 22 rather than using the depth in the squad. Our coach preferred recycled players rather than playing young guys with flair, goal sense, and natural football nous ( gee I hate Lyon for not giving Tom Lynch opportunities - making his decision to leave an easy one- and watching what a star he is now for the Crows). Our coach failed in everyway and history is always a better judge than the sycophants in the media and the gullible messiah worshippers

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:

Yep good call.
I hated them for a long time after 97 but I've given up on that and now admire them for their last few years
Well done.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

Yep good call.
I hated them for a long time after 97 but I've given up on that and now admire them for their last few years
Well done.
Also didn't a coach (can't recall his name) who was senior coach a Melbourne, when he got got the sack from Melbourne went as an Assistant coach to Crows and subsequently died also? I think it was cancer.

And not to mention the strength shown by 'Sauce' hanging in there and playing good football so soon after the death of his brother.

They really seem to have developed the right 'culture' in that Club and support each other in adversity - I hope they go the whole way & win the flag.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

Yep good call.
Well done.
Also didn't a coach (can't recall his name) who was senior coach a Melbourne, when he got got the sack from Melbourne went as an Assistant coach to Crows and subsequently died also? I think it was cancer.

And not to mention the strength shown by 'Sauce' hanging in there and playing good football so soon after the death of his brother.

They really seem to have developed the right 'culture' in that Club and support each other in adversity - I hope they go the whole way & win the flag.
Dean Bailey.

They lost first & second round draft picks for 2012/2013 for the Tippett thing too.

Incredible effort to be here. Must be doing a lot right.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

Yep good call.
Well done.

Nope still can't stand them and never will. I will never have fond memories of that day 20 years ago when that halfwit crows player ran amok in the last quarter and ruined my dreams.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Con Gorozidis wrote:We had 13 AA players on our list in 2009 and 2010 and still couldn't win a flag.
Agreed RL would have turned GWS into a dour defensive unit kicking 50 points
I don't get why people are so upset - I say thanks for developing the kids so we can choose which 22 yr olds to trade
And which star 24-25yr olds to buy

Seeya
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

saynta wrote:
loris wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

Yep good call.
Well done.

Nope still can't stand them and never will. I will never have fond memories of that day 20 years ago when that halfwit crows player ran amok in the last quarter and ruined my dreams.
I thought you blamed Shanahan for us losing not the brilliance of jarmin/blight

After a while you have to lose the bitterness and understand the reasons, and this is what I took from the crows lasr night
“I’ve already started looking at the review of how we can improve. And making a grand final is not what it is about. We’re wanting to win a grand final.”
Don Pike

Seeya
saynta
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
saynta wrote:
loris wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

Yep good call.
Well done.

I thought you blamed Shanahan for us losing not the brilliance of jarmin/blight

After a while you have to lose the bitterness and understand the reasons, and this is what I took from the crows lasr night
“I’ve already started looking at the review of how we can improve. And making a grand final is not what it is about. We’re wanting to win a grand final.”
Don Pike
Nope, hate the croweating bastards and I do blame Shanahan. You have a good memory . I don't remember any of your posts. :oops:

My motto is never forgive and never forget.

But I don't much like the pussy willow guys either.

Glad to see them slink away with their tails between their legs.

As i said numerous times before Shanahan should have knocked the halfwit out or put up his hand as being clueless and outclassed and let someone else have a go.

Was glad to see the back of him as I was with a couple of other players who let us down in the big ones.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Only proves how hard it is to win a Premiership - you need not only decent players but smart experienced players, good coaching and a lot of luck

Our current squad is relatively young in terms of age and experience playing together - a few more years then look out

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I would have thought that Gold Coast had pretty much the same concessions as GWS and look at them. Having early picks doesn't guarantee anything.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

GWS are better off without Cameron and Mumford.
They look way more mobile.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Wow - more hatred for a new team than those we have lost GFs to recently.

Wow, said teams got draft picks to start off. So many didn't work out, so many came home. Still angry.

Simple minds some.
100% this.

But general public logic leads to all sorts of odd outcomes. See Politics 2016.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:I would have thought that Gold Coast had pretty much the same concessions as GWS and look at them. Having early picks doesn't guarantee anything.
Well said.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Well thankfully we are spared a GWS flag this season.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Well thankfully we are spared a GWS flag this season.
I wanted them to win it, imagine the paranoia. :D

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:GWS are better off without Cameron and Mumford.
Don't agree with you on Mummy. I think he's been playing injured and he's an asset when 100% fit.

Glad you brought up Cameron. Leon is not getting the job done

The other Cameron has to stop being a selfish footballer and he can also be an asset.

derby Street
Club Player

If you're talking about the coach I agree. Very ordinary - hope he stays there for a long time.

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

derby Street wrote:
If you're talking about the coach I agree. Very ordinary - hope he stays there for a long time.
I've suspected this for a while.

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:
derby Street wrote:
I've suspected this for a while.
It will be interesting to see how long the AFL ( GWS patrons ) will be patient with Leon Cameron, should they fail to make a GF next season.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Richmond "stole" our premierships in the late 60s. They moved to the MCG - where finals are played - and gained an enormous advantage (still current, but not quite as large). Later, they got Stewart and we got Barrot. Sheesh! The Crows "stole" our flag in 1997. Everything that could have gone wrong for us (after round 17), did go wrong.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
Don't agree with you on Mummy. I think he's been playing injured and he's an asset when 100% fit.

Glad you brought up Cameron. Leon is not getting the job done

The other Cameron has to stop being a selfish footballer and he can also be an asset.
Ruckmen generally play their best footy between 25 and 29.

I think Mummy is cooked.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Their talents masks the fact that Leone Cameron is a dud coach. Has them playing soft flick it around footy which doesnt stack up against the top sides.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Richmond "stole" our premierships in the late 60s. They moved to the MCG - where finals are played - and gained an enormous advantage (still current, but not quite as large). Later, they got Stewart and we got Barrot. Sheesh! The Crows "stole" our flag in 1997. Everything that could have gone wrong for us (after round 17), did go wrong.
Wrong.

It was actually something Murdoch wrote in one of his rags. You know -some right wing conspiracy theory that still haunts us now.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:I would have thought that Gold Coast had pretty much the same concessions as GWS and look at them. Having early picks doesn't guarantee anything.
Gold Coast used their concessions in a very different manner. Traded in for 3/4 cooked names to go for the earlier competitiveness. Then selling the farm for Ablett.

Complete and total mismanagement along with a string of shyte coaches.

This is how it should be for a startup.

GWS just drafted the best young talent in the country. Over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Then repeatedly trade out their fringe for more and more second rounder picks which they used on academy or more top 30 talent.

The GWS blueprint is much, much, much better.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....