I am worried ....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gershwin
Club Player

Re: I am worried ....

St Chris wrote:Problem with using 7 & 8 is that Jack Steven will be 28 come Round 1, and Armo 29. When fully fit, both are still our best mids (or at least 2 of the best 3 with Seb).

For us to improve, we need players that will help right now, while Jack and Armo are still around. If we wait until Pick 7 & 8 have hit that magical 70-100 games mark, Jack and Armo are long gone. We're only replacing that quality as pick 7 & 8 become quality AFL footballers, not adding to it - the status quo remains and we become perennial mid-table finishers.

I know it sounds mental, but if we were happy to take 7 & 8 to the draft, we should look at trading Jack Steven because we're not gonna be a contender until it's too late for him. We should cash in now, as a "take one step back to take 2 steps forward" approach.
This is why I am pushing to get Rockliff. He is 28 so we get immediate performance. He doesn't cost us a trade - we get to keep 7 & 8. He may cost us $800,000pa but we have the money. We keep Steven and he is an improvement on Stevens and takes a bit of the pressure off Dunstan and Acres to perform at a high level when they are still quite young.

summertime and the living is easy ........
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Our team has proven very solid in the recruitment of players over the past 4 years

Each year, since FA was introduced, we've seen increased player movements

We are 3 weeks away from the real stuff

Deep breath, relax

#1 Ryder fan
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:Problem with using 7 & 8 is that Jack Steven will be 28 come Round 1, and Armo 29. When fully fit, both are still our best mids (or at least 2 of the best 3 with Seb).

For us to improve, we need players that will help right now, while Jack and Armo are still around. If we wait until Pick 7 & 8 have hit that magical 70-100 games mark, Jack and Armo are long gone. We're only replacing that quality as pick 7 & 8 become quality AFL footballers, not adding to it - the status quo remains and we become perennial mid-table finishers.

I know it sounds mental, but if we were happy to take 7 & 8 to the draft, we should look at trading Jack Steven because we're not gonna be a contender until it's too late for him. We should cash in now, as a "take one step back to take 2 steps forward" approach.
Good post. Strategic and I agree
We also need to seriously answer the question: even trading 7&8 for a Rockliff type upgrade ....are Steven and Armo really the elite mids to take us all the way??? I don't think so but equally how old will the rest of the list be while we play midfield catch ups...

“Yeah….nah””
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The club is cooked. We will be talking about mergers or re-location in two years.

I just watched the last quarter of the 2004 prelim.

Gehrig was taller, faster , more agile, stronger, more athletic, tougher, smarter and a better kick than McCartin will ever be.

We are all delusional on here.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:The club is cooked. We will be talking about mergers or re-location in two years.

Gehrig was taller, faster , more agile, stronger, more athletic, tougher, smarter and a better kick than McCartin will ever be.

Gehrig was an underperforming, lazy sod with a bad attitude before he hit his prime

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:The club is cooked. We will be talking about mergers or re-location in two years.

Gehrig was an underperforming, lazy sod with a bad attitude before he hit his prime
Amazing how he made All Australian in 1997 (aged 21) as a defender and then kicked 42 goals in 1998 (aged 22).

Somehow kicked career 549 goals.

Lazy sod with a bad attitude.

stkfc1
Club Player

Teflon wrote:

We also need to seriously answer the question: even trading 7&8 for a Rockliff type upgrade ....are Steven and Armo really the elite mids to take us all the way??? I don't think so but equally how old will the rest of the list be while we play midfield catch ups...
It actually makes a lot of sense. Personally I would hate it and I doubt the club would even consider it and I doubt that JS would want to go BUT if the right offer came along from a club who thought JS would be the difference for a flag in the next year or two and came at us with a God offer (it would have to be early picks and possibly a good young player) and he was happy to consider it, you'd have to give it serious thought.

There is a good chance Steven will be past his prime in the next few years. His speed out of packs is his greatest weapon but he's getting older, more susceptible to soft tissue injuries etc. He may not be in our best 3-5 players any more when we finally hit our straps. Unfortunately if it happened it would mean our midfleld would be treacle slow unless Freeman comes on next year and we do go get a Gaff type. It would be a crab party in our midfleld otherwise.

e also have an abundance of HBF and inside midfielders also and they cant all fit into the same side. They may not be popular but we need to be brave enough to make them.

lefty
Club Player

I'd much prefer the club goes for two 18 year old midfielders in the draft. The only way to improve is to get quality players that will play 10+ years. There is no point topping up with 25 year old's that are OK but not the cream of the cake. This is not 09, where we needed a winger and would trade the earth for a ready made player right here right now, we are at a totally different point in time.

Truth be told, Monty and Roo were taking up two spots for others to develop together, the likes of Acres, Wright, Paddy, White, McKenzie are not getting enough game time to develop. Getting Rockliff is short sighted, if we are 3 to 5 years away from top four?, then getting an 18 year old now, would mean they are 23 when that happens, which is perfect timing.
Last edited by lefty on Thu 21 Sep 2017 12:50am, edited 1 time in total.

stkfc1
Club Player

Teflon wrote:

It actually makes a lot of sense. Personally I would hate it and I doubt the club would even consider it and I doubt that JS would want to go BUT if the right offer came along from a club who thought JS would be the difference for a flag in the next year or two and came at us with a God offer (it would have to be early picks and possibly a good young player) and he was happy to consider it, you'd have to give it serious thought.

There is a good chance Steven will be past his prime in the next few years. His speed out of packs is his greatest weapon but he's getting older, more susceptible to soft tissue injuries etc. He may not be in our best 3-5 players any more when we finally hit our straps. Unfortunately if it happened it would mean our midfleld would be treacle slow unless Freeman comes on next year and we do go get a Gaff type. It would be a crab party in our midfleld otherwise

We also have an abundance of HBF and inside midfielders and they cant all fit into the same side. These are the hard choices we will face over the next few years. They may not be popular choices but we need to be brave enough to make them.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I know for a fact that Richo is comfortable where we finished this year and it was in line with pre season expectations given how hard our fixture was.

He's too conservative by nature IMHFO

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

I'm retiring to the Gold Coast in the next few years, Con. I look forward to following my saints in the red white and black in my dotage. Synchronicity at it's best. Looking forward to it.

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
spert
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:I know for a fact that Richo is comfortable where we finished this year and it was in line with pre season expectations given how hard our fixture was.

He's too conservative by nature IMHFO
Gives me no confidence

derby Street
Club Player

Well that's not good news, I didn't realise we were in such a diabolical position. Con, you certainly are a ray of sunshine and such positive and optimistic soul. a Re- location - any ideas / hints to which state I should retire so I can watch my beloved Saints.

howlinwolf
Club Player

Rest easy Sainter Dad.
Have faith in Ameet.

You can't buy what's not for sale.
We gave it our best shot but in the end those targetted were never going.
Trust in our judgement that we will get/trade or draft the best possible for the BIG picture.
There is a plan. We are a small fish club and these things take longer.

We have picks 7 and 8 ! Astute trading.

The sky is not falling in.

We've had pleasant surprises in trading for years and the culmination of this will progress the teams success.
I have no doubt.

I'm on board !

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

howlinwolf wrote:Rest easy Sainter Dad.
Have faith in Ameet.

Trust in our judgement that we will get/trade or draft the best possible for the BIG picture.

We've had pleasant surprises in trading for years and the culmination of this will progress the teams success.
I have no doubt.

I'm on board !
"You can't lose what you've never had"

McKinlay Morganfield

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

howlinwolf wrote:Rest easy Sainter Dad.
Have faith in Ameet.

I have no doubt.

I'm on board !
"You can't lose what you've never had"

McKinlay Morganfield

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)