Seb Ross - 3rd fastest speed clocked this year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Seb Ross - 3rd fastest speed clocked this year

Interesting reading that Seb clocked the 3rd fastest time this year on the field at 35.0kmh only behind impey and Toby Greene.
Funny how he was thought to be a plodder by some, but he actually has some wheels.

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Re: Seb Ross - 3rd fastest speed clocked this year

Nothing like an inconvenient fact to destroy a faulty belief. We are not slow as a group. We have quick players. Our issue is use. Nothing on the field moves faster than the football.

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
carn_sainter
Club Player

This year, Seb really developed an incredibly powerful running style/technique. There were a few occasions when he put in a 10 or 20m burst that was incredibly quick.

Conditions are that it is a very powerful - meaning brief - burst and that he needs a rolling start. He's still not dynamite off the mark.

supersaints
Club Player

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:Nothing like an inconvenient fact to destroy a faulty belief. We are not slow as a group. We have quick players. Our issue is use. Nothing on the field moves faster than the football.
Agree our ball use and poor decision making ( like handballing to a stationary target) makes us look slow at times
Seb will be at elite level next season unless he gets injured... he's already a gun, if he played for another side we'd all think he was pretty good!

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:Nothing like an inconvenient fact to destroy a faulty belief. We are not slow as a group. We have quick players. Our issue is use. Nothing on the field moves faster than the football.
+!
100%

The sooner the club acknowledges and actively addresses this, the sooner we can start believing in a return to grand final action

Love is all you need
spert
Saintsational Legend

In our losses this season, especially our big losses, the opposition midfielders have been quicker to the ball and run away from our midfielders. Our mids are not natural sprinters though Steven is an accelerator off the mark, the rest are not. Don't mistake speed over a set distance as an indicator- it's more about how you run and where you apply your run, and the static movement of our midfield at centre bounces and at boundary clearances is one of our weak points. I would like to see our midfield spend a lot of time with a running coach over summer- especially a sprinting coach.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

The majority of true onballers aren't quick players so to speak. Well, the consistent and good ones anyway. Its pretty rare to get a bloke like J. Steven or Rob Harvey for example who can just turn on the warp drive when required after still playing and running in the middle all day. Judd and Dangerfield are other examples. They're kind of freaks of nature. If we look at the majority of our onballers over the last 10-20 years, they were pretty one paced. E.g. Hayes, Ball, Dal Santo, Goddard. Our current crop of mids are quite one paced too bar J. Steven. At the end of the day though, if these blokes were playing VFL or suburban footy every week they would look mega quick out there.

We need to really draft a quality mid that can go warp 10 when needed to give something different to our midfield.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
saynta
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:Interesting reading that Seb clocked the 3rd fastest time this year on the field at 35.0kmh only behind impey and Toby Greene.
Funny how he was thought to be a plodder by some, but he actually has some wheels.

Funny that.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

That is amazing.

I don't think anyone considered him to be quick a few years ago, he definitely had trouble taking off and I can clearly remember his opponents streaming away from him at times. It's a testament to his hard work, I thought pace was going to be an issue for him like most.

BringBackMadDog wrote:Seb is a true inside mid, he gets a lot of the ball in close so a lot of his possessions go unnoticed. He is not one who will run and spread, his handball in close is great but he is not a penetrating kick and has average pace. In saying that, if he can be the same sort of player as his cousin or Josh Kennedy then we will be real winners.
http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77067

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:Interesting reading that Seb clocked the 3rd fastest time this year on the field at 35.0kmh only behind impey and Toby Greene.
Where did you read it?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
Where did you read it?
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/m ... 864f97eed5

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:That is amazing.

I don't think anyone considered him to be quick a few years ago, he definitely had trouble taking off and I can clearly remember his opponents streaming away from him at times. It's a testament to his hard work, I thought pace was going to be an issue for him like most.

BringBackMadDog wrote:Seb is a true inside mid, he gets a lot of the ball in close so a lot of his possessions go unnoticed. He is not one who will run and spread, his handball in close is great but he is not a penetrating kick and has average pace. In saying that, if he can be the same sort of player as his cousin or Josh Kennedy then we will be real winners.
http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77067
He was always quicker than posters on here gave him credit for but has got quicker each of the past two years.

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

I think he took the Acme brand pace pills. The ones Wile E. Coyote took when he was trying to catch the Road Runner.

Gordo'
Club Player
Location: banned for a spell, things didn't turn out so well, every thread i played, ffs was lucky i stayed!!!

saynta wrote:
Funny that.
something that some better judges of talent have flowering known for ages, right mate? :wink:

Fortitude Fidelity Sainta.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

There is a difference between maximum peak speed (which I assume is what the article is quoting), and that burst of acceleration from a standing start that some players have.

If AFL it is mainly that burst over 10-20m that counts.

Stanley for example won the GF sprint, but it took hima bit to get going.

Plugga on the other hand while he may have struggled to run any distance was very quick off the mark.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 20 Sep 2017 2:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
MickThomas
Club Player

I reckon it's the speed of his disposals- he's quick to just hhandball or kick in mad panic, not caring where it goes.
"Oh nice, another possie for me"

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:There is a difference between maximum peak speed (which I assume is what the article is quoting), and that burst of acceleration from a standing start that some players have.

If AFL it is mainly that burst over 10-20m that counts.

Stanley for example won the GF sprint, but it took hima bit to get going.

Plugga one the other hand while he may have struggled to run any distance was very quick off the mark.
In 1987, Plugger was the quickest at the club over 20 metres. Explosive. No wonder he was so good on the lead and amazingly effective when the ball hit the ground. Freak.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Gordo' wrote:
saynta wrote:
Funny that.
something that some better judges of talent have flowering known for ages, right mate? :wink:
Got that right mate. :wink:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

MickThomas wrote:I reckon it's the speed of his disposals- he's quick to just hhandball or kick in mad panic, not caring where it goes.

:roll:

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

MickThomas wrote:I reckon it's the speed of his disposals- he's quick to just hhandball or kick in mad panic, not caring where it goes.
72.8% disposal efficiency with an average of 30 disposals per game. Dustin Martin:64.3% Disposal efficiency 30.3 average disposals. Dangerfield: 66.1% disposal efficiency 30.2 average disposals

You are just clueless

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I tipped Seb for the BM this year, but I thought we would win 16 games. He is a bit behind Dustin Martin and Patrick Dangerfield mainly because he is 2 or 3 years younger and hasn't built as much strength. Dangerfield is a better mark than both but is 2 cm taller than both. Sometimes Seb appeared slow to make a decision because his teammates had their back to him or were standing still. Other times, he made mistakes, especially towards the end of the year when he seemed to get a bit tired. He was slow to start in his career because he was unfit. That's good news for those in the team who are unfit - you can improve that, and your performance, if you work hard enough and are disciplined enough.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote: 72.8% disposal efficiency with an average of 30 disposals per game. Dustin Martin:64.3% Disposal efficiency 30.3 average disposals. Dangerfield: 66.1% disposal efficiency 30.2 average disposals
You might want to factor in that Both Danger and Martin have opponents concentrating/tagging them at all times and are under huge defensive pressure.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
MickThomas
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote: 72.8% disposal efficiency with an average of 30 disposals per game. Dustin Martin:64.3% Disposal efficiency 30.3 average disposals. Dangerfield: 66.1% disposal efficiency 30.2 average disposals
You might want to factor in that Both Danger and Martin have opponents concentrating/tagging them at all times and are under huge defensive pressure.
it really doesn't suit his hero-worship to acknowledge the truth.
He is a member of the Blue Sky Brigade.

Dangerfield and Martin can be relied on to do several inspirational team-lifting things, like kick several amazing goals, do the burst through a pack and drill the ball to a forward.
Seb gives us the heart in the mouth, for different reasons...

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
Proph3t of egan
Club Player

MickThomas wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Dangerfield and Martin can be relied on to do several inspirational team-lifting things, like kick several amazing goals, do the burst through a pack and drill the ball to a forward.
Send disposal in the first 16 or so rounds was phenomenal considering how much of the pill he gets, and only dripped off on the last couple of rounds or so, there's a reason why he polled well in the coaches award

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
MickThomas
Club Player

Proph3t of egan wrote:
MickThomas wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Send disposal in the first 16 or so rounds was phenomenal considering how much of the pill he gets, and only dripped off on the last couple of rounds or so, there's a reason why he polled well in the coaches award
You believe in the flat-earth theory as well, I suppose.
Seb is fantastic at getting the ball.
Delivering it?
Nope, big fail.
You need to watch the game and not your phone screen.