War Chest

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

War Chest

No with Dusty, Kelly NA and Lever likely to goto Melbourne, what do we do with the war chest.

I think retain and build it where possible. Kelly and other GWS players will be available in 2 years and looking for big pay days.

Some can be used to retain any existing talent that continues to develop and if someone unexpected pops up we are ready to pounce. Lets not spend for spending sake ( which to me is Rockcliffe)

Thoughts

footynut
Club Player

Re: War Chest

Kelly's gone' Martin's gone.... so why don't to change our target & look at Taranto and to a lessor extent hopper and Devon Smith

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Yes, the war chest isn't going to come in handy this off-season with there now being no guns available for hire. Best to put it away for when it'll really matter.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
chook23
Saintsational Legend

You can not just keep building the war chest and take it forward....we will have to spend a certain amont on our list.....
Some may just have to get a pay increase to spend our required amount.......

Planning for a big fish or two creates a problem if you dont land some.....

Management issue.

saint4life
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

We just need to renegotiate current deals and heavily front end them. Then the war chest will be even greater. Pay Billings 1M next year and then little for his next two is an example

St Loxton
Club Player

footynut wrote:Kelly's gone' Martin's gone.... so why don't to change our target & look at Taranto and to a lessor extent hopper and Devon Smith
From what i have seen of Taranto he will be a GUN.
Extremely skilful and smart.
If he was seriously considering leaving GWS, he would be a huge get.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

There is alot of talk coming out of WA that they should trade Gaff to regenerate their list. He is only 25, proven footballer and averaged close to 30 posessions this year.
500k out of the war chest right there.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:No with Dusty, Kelly NA and Lever likely to goto Melbourne, what do we do with the war chest.

I think retain and build it where possible.
Thoughts
1/ You can only bank 2 years of TPP. Not using the saved funds this year hurts.

2/ The competitive value of our war-chest strategy that was aimed for this season was largely eroded by the huge jump in TPP that every club has been granted. So the Saints have suddenly gone from having a very good competitive advantage in being the most cashed up club, to now virtually no advantage as every club has money to burn.

This is why North have been able to try and throw such huge contracts around. They are only one year into their rebuild vs our 5, but North were still able to offer huge contracts (wrongly in my view as they should be trying to maximise a lot of young talent rather than 2 bigfish).

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

St Loxton wrote:
footynut wrote:Kelly's gone' Martin's gone.... so why don't to change our target & look at Taranto and to a lessor extent hopper and Devon Smith
From what i have seen of Taranto he will be a GUN.
Extremely skilful and smart.
If he was seriously considering leaving GWS, he would be a huge get.

With their main guns re-signing and extending, yes we need to try and get a talented emerging star out of GWS. I would rather this than Rocky who will be 28 next year.

The players we gain need to be at their best for longer than the window of 2018-20 which would be Rocky' best years left.

Our rebuild needs to be refoccused. Only pick up talent under 26 now and look to reinforce players of the age of Billings , Gresham etc so that they will be a strong unit from 2020 on.

Taranto yes. However I think I read that he has now extended till 2020.

Rocky no.
Gaff a maybe.
Stringer, if our coaches like what he says, should be a yes as he is about the best talent left, and is still young.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....