Trading picks 7 and 8 for pick 1 or 3 top 20 picks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Trading picks 7 and 8 for pick 1 or 3 top 20 picks

Would anyone else entertain these ideas?

What if Brisbane would be willing to give us pick 1 for 7 and 8? I personally would take it if we can't use those picks on getting an established gun or a couple of good players.
What if somehow picks 7 and 8 could be converted into 3 top 20 picks? . These picks could be used on players from other clubs or taken to the draft if unable to acquire players from other clubs. A player that gets picked in the top 20 is a good chance of becoming a decent player. Why not take 3 instead of 2.

Really curious to know what the club is thinking given J Kelly and others are officially off the radar now or we don't appear keen on the FA's around. I want to know what is brewing behind closed doors!!! No negative BS around this stuff please....a bit over it. If I wouldn't my daily dose of "the sky is falling in" I would watch Home and Away or Neighbours every night. :D

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Wombat15
Club Player

Re: Trading picks 7 and 8 for pick 1 or 3 top 20 picks

the one ive been reading is the pick 7 for richmonds 2 firsts.

Stian
Club Player

Wombat15 wrote:the one ive been reading is the pick 7 for richmonds 2 firsts.
Interesting, what actual pick numbers would those 2 firsts likely be?

saint-stu
Club Player

Please no more two for one trades. We've been there done that. We need top end talent, not more B graders.

1ac46a38
MickThomas
Club Player

We can't trust the club to be clever at the draft.
Letting Elshaugh decide on a player, is like letting a woman
go to a car yard to choose a car.
No idea whatsoever.

(note: this is not sexist at all, simply highlighting a difference in perspective.
Me, as a bloke, wouldn't know the first thing about women's shoes, or women's taste in jewellery,
or what to get a woman for a gift.)

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Heard the Saints are looking to gain pick 2 or 3 in draft if forced into position of drafting. They have spotted someone they're desperate to get in the draft.

Tipping the recruiting team will make the best choice available to them if we go to the draft with high draft picks anyway. Past 5 years they've done well with their top 20 picks. Still a bit of a lottery though this whole draft thing. Bad luck and injuries are just what they are also. It is what it is. Its no one's fault if a high draft pick doesn't turn into Dangerfield within 3 years.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
diddley
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote:Heard the Saints are looking to gain pick 2 or 3 in draft if forced into position of drafting. They have spotted someone they're desperate to get in the draft.

Tipping the recruiting team will make the best choice available to them if we go to the draft with high draft picks anyway. Past 5 years they've done well with their top 20 picks. Still a bit of a lottery though this whole draft thing. Bad luck and injuries are just what they are also. It is what it is. Its no one's fault if a high draft pick doesn't turn into Dangerfield within 3 years.
I have to admit, I was thinking something along the lines of a 3 way trade.
Gold Coast/Carlton pick 2/3
St.Kilda pick 7&8
Richmond picks 15&16

Swapped for
Gold Coast/Carlton picks 8&15
Richmond pick 7
St.Kilda picks 2/3 &16

I'm not sure how the points tally works on that, but I think it's beneficial to all parties.
We could get our future A grade mid, and then a late first round kpb.
(Side note. I would prefer to give up our future 2018 first round instead of both 7&8 this year. That would give us 3 first round picks his year)

older saint
SS Life Member

Do not give up any picks for 2018 - much better draft class than this year ( at this stage). Unless targeting a specific top 3 player lets get 2 good ones at 7 and 8. Not sure clear standout player(s) this year