Off Season Player Review #19 - Sam Gilbert

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Off Season Player Review #19 - Sam Gilbert

Where the hell has this guy been? I reckon I first write Sam off at the end of 2011 as being past his best... and to be honest, despite a few good games and some solid patches I reckon I've been right for the majority.

And then came 2017. Gilbert was FANTASTIC. Especially in the first half of the season. He was strong, versatile, pacey, his disposal went up a few notches... in a move that proved to be a master stroke he some how found a home in the role of the old fashioned rucking midfielder.

I worry about his longevity in the role he's in, he had some injury issues in the second half of the season I think, which pbly comes with the role, but he slowed down and to be honest, our form may have dropped with him. At this point though I actually have him pegged as close most important player on the list.

Haven't been a rap for Richo this season but that was an inspired move

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Re: Off Season Player Review #19 - Sam Gilbert

Have always thought that if he didn't have his usual 4 or 5 clangers a match, he'd be an A grader .
Good players make mistakes but some of his are like the keystone cops .

In red white and black from 73
repta
Club Player

Captain Caveman.

The cartoon from the 80s. Swap the batton for the ball and we have a dead ringer.

He played this year like he was unburdened. Took the game on. Always had best intentions, didn't always work.
Best year he has had.

Gershwin
Club Player

His endeavour is exceptional and balances his weaknesses in disposal. Would be happy if he has a similar season in 2018.

summertime and the living is easy ........
MickThomas
Club Player

Gershwin wrote:His endeavour is exceptional and balances his weaknesses in disposal. Would be happy if he has a similar season in 2018.
If his disposal was improved by having only 2 clangers in a game, he would be saintsational.
The out-of-bounds on the full seems to be his signature move, he does it so well and so often...

I wonder whether Baroose and Gilbo are in direct competition for youtube views on
their respective "bloopers" channel (if they have one?)

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Have always loved Sam because he always has a crack. Obviously doesn't read this site; if he did he would have give the game away years ago. Thick skinned, undervalued and much appreciated in my assessment.

Saint supporter since '62