Josh Kelly signs with GWS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Loxton
Club Player

Re: Josh Kelly signs with GWS

Yes i would love to have Kelly onboard, and maybe we are still a chance.
I just get this feeling Kelly or not, that we have something brewing on another quality player not in the Free Agent lists.
If we get this player with a year or so their contract, we could potentially afford to payout their existing contract with our $$$$
Believe me I'm no ITK, just have a sneaky feeling were deep into something else.

oldie60
Club Player

Looks like we may have to settle for frozen fish fingers

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

oldie60 wrote:Looks like we may have to settle for frozen fish fingers
AND chips! ..... oh hold on, he's retired :cry:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
The Recruit
Club Player

St Loxton wrote:Yes i would love to have Kelly onboard, and maybe we are still a chance.
I just get this feeling Kelly or not, that we have something brewing on another quality player not in the Free Agent lists.
If we get this player with a year or so their contract, we could potentially afford to payout their existing contract with our $$$$
Believe me I'm no ITK, just have a sneaky feeling were deep into something else.
If it's not
R Sloan
J Merret
P Cripps
J Lever
L Parker
D Zorko

I am not getting very excited...:(

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

The Recruit wrote:
St Loxton wrote:Yes i would love to have Kelly onboard, and maybe we are still a chance.
If it's not
R Sloan
J Merret
P Cripps
J Lever
L Parker
D Zorko

I am not getting very excited...:(
Fair enough. So here is something to get excited about. https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/out ... ?year=2018

I reckon it's worked out well. The Tuggers will now have a very tight cap. (Remember, their original offer was $800K a year. :lol: ) I reckon we'll still be landing a player or two. (I really hope Alir Alir, before the Swines realise the error of their ways). And even if not as 'big fish' as Kelly or Martin, they'll still be damn good. And they won't see us blowing two first rounders on only one player! (And people think that the String man would be a high risk play???). All this leaves us in position to try again in 2018.

If we're to spend big $$$, I'd be looking at Tom Lynch from the Suns of Beaches, the Tassie Hillbilly from Nuff Nuff, McGovern and Yeo from the Cokers (but definitely not that receiver Gaff!). Also Toby Greene (even if only for the s#!@s and giggles).
If we're to spend big $$$ and draft picks, I'd be looking at the Tractor.
If Richo is overworked and needs some helping walking his dogs - Jordan De Goey from the Skunks.
If we're chuffed with the Nathan Brown grab (and I am), I'd be looking at doubling up with Ben Reid, or Heath Grundy from the Swines.

In other words, no need to fret if we don't make a killing with trades and Free Agency this year. In 2018 there's plenty on offer for all tastes and budgets. Lotsa' options. We just need to keep out powder dry

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
David-Lee
Club Player

This is why we get discouraged....every fecking time the players or staff or board c**k it up they change the goal posts and youse positive wanks keep letting them off the hook....remember this?
This was Pelchen he was there planning 2017. He advised on hiring AR as well as many draft selections.

" The process truly began in 2013 when the Saints won just five games and finished 16th, a year after finishing ninth.

The plan began with the building of a “talent base”, according to Pelchen who headed the charge and was one of the architects of St Kilda’s famous blueprint to return to the top four by 2018."

Now its shifted to 2020 and next year it will be 2022.

But we keep being faithful and handing over our cash so they can c**k it up again and again.

How do you have a list like we did in 2007-11 and not win
GF's?

Now we must sit through shifting goal posts until someone gets it right again. Mark my words AR will not take us to the top.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Now Martin and potentially Kelly are off the table, lets just go to the draft with our picks.

We don't need Rockliff or Gaff as we've already got too many one paced on ballers, unless of course we could get Lever then that would be a different story.

dals_da_bomb
Club Player

Just saw Kelly being confirmed on every site known to man.

Let out a few choice words at work.

I know we were warned it wasn't getting done - but its still reeks of disappointment.

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
spert
Saintsational Legend

Always curious as to why Kelly would want to leave a finals team to play with a team who headed in the other direction this season anyway. Looks like we are all cashed-up, so I hope our recruiters and coach make some very smart decisions.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Josh who?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Oh well. Would have been great to have him but lets move on. Maybe we can try nab him again in 2 years.

Time for Ameet 'The Operator' Bains and co to get serious at the trade table. Lets do something aggressive and try pry a gun mid away from their club. At least give it a shot with picks 7 and 8. If nothing comes off then take the picks to the draft. At least the club will have given it a crack.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
MickThomas
Club Player

so...would he maybe return to Victoria after 2 years;
he's hoping his value would have increased, and he might have a premiership medal...
clever move

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I am sure that our club did its best to sign him, as he was exactly the sort of player we needed and would have been affordable at something over $1m per year average for 6 or so years.

I suspect that the trade to us was on at some point, but was ruined by the intervention of other clubs waving around ridiculous sums of money.

If it were true that the Roos were offering $1.9m in the first year, Kelly and his manager made entirely the right decision to stay with the Giants for much less money. He's only a young player, he's still developing, and the very last thing he needs is all the pressure of being the highest-paid player in the game and the annointed saviour of a club that hasn't been doing so well lately. It's a recipe for disaster. Before the bidding war, he could have come to our club in a slightly more low key way with less pressure on him. But now he's been branded a superstar of the Martin-Dangerfield ilk well before his time. So staying put is the right move for him.

Staying at the Giants means that he is only one star among a cluster, and part of a team which might very well win a flag in the next few years. And then, barring serious injury

The root cause of this mess is the AFL's clumsily-handled transition to the new cap rules, which has given clubs like the Roos the opportunity to wave lots of money around in a shortsighted way. Thanks AFL: you're certainly consistent in your standard of administration.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
The root cause of this mess is the AFL's clumsily-handled transition to the new cap rules, which has given clubs like the Roos the opportunity to wave lots of money around in a shortsighted way. Thanks AFL: you're certainly consistent in your standard of administration.

Not just the Roos!

The StKilda Curse continues. After 5 years of getting ready, in banking the max that the TPP etc, to have a large war-chest now to help assist in recruiting star players the massive increase in TPP to all clubs JUST when we were ready to rumble has blown us out of the water as it gave all clubs the means to recruit or retain players.

North are only starting to cull last year with no more than one year of TPP banking had cash to splash, add to them the Blues and indeed virtually every club as with most clubs having players on "öld" contracts it suddenly meant that all clubs had wiggle room if they wanted to.

GWS who should have been haemorrhaging stars like Kelly, Whitfield etc at the end of this season have been instead able to retain all those that they really want to keep. The Tigers too could keep Dusty.

Even the Hawks last year knowing that the extra cash was coming were able to land both TOM and JOM.

Our war-chest was ambushed by the timing of the increase. It value as bait destroyed, as after 5 years in the planning we no longer had the competitive advantage in salary cap room that we had planned for and banked on.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
meher baba wrote:

Not just the Roos!

The StKilda Curse continues. After 5 years of getting ready, in banking the max that the TPP etc, to have a large war-chest now to help assist in recruiting star players the massive increase in TPP to all clubs JUST when we were ready to rumble has blown us out of the water as it gave all clubs the means to recruit or retain players.

North are only starting to cull last year with no more than one year of TPP banking had cash to splash, add to them the Blues and indeed virtually every club as with most clubs having players on "öld" contracts it suddenly meant that all clubs had wiggle room if they wanted to.

GWS who should have been haemorrhaging stars like Kelly, Whitfield etc at the end of this season have been instead able to retain all those that they really want to keep. The Tigers too could keep Dusty.

Even the Hawks last year knowing that the extra cash was coming were able to land both TOM and JOM.

Our war-chest was ambushed by the timing of the increase. It value as bait destroyed, as after 5 years in the planning we no longer had the competitive advantage in salary cap room that we had planned for and banked on.
So true, SR. The curse of the saints is worse than the curse of the Chicago Cubs, and they broke theirs. What did we do to earn the wrath of the footy gods?

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
meher baba wrote:

Not just the Roos!

So true, SR. The curse of the saints is worse than the curse of the Chicago Cubs, and they broke theirs. What did we do to earn the wrath of the footy gods?

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Am I the only son that finds it really disturbing that the majority on here seem utterly desperate to throw an exorbitant amount of money at 1 player and feel that anything other than complete success in the 2017 offseason is tantamount to a complete failure of our entire rebuild.

Messiah complex anyone?

Ok so it we didn't get it done. Draft a few good kids and have another crack at it next year

The Recruit
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
meher baba wrote:

Not just the Roos!

Gee that's a stretch!! Kelly wants to play finals...not a guarantee at saints..by signing two years at GWS he guarantees playing till he is 32-33

suss
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
meher baba wrote:

Not just the Roos!

Maybe but perhaps it's because stay care about things other than money. Dangerfield went to Geelong for lifestyle reasons - he could've earned bucket loads more on the open market.

It seems like Kelly could've earned double had he moved to North or us. I just think we got it wrong when we thought top players would jump ship for $$$ to play with us.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
meher baba wrote:

Not just the Roos!

We ARE cursed! We must be! Every time it looks like it might pan out our way for once something jumps up and bites us. How did the Cubs ditch their curse? Will returning to hallowed ground at Moorabbin help us?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
meher baba wrote:

Not just the Roos!

Gee that's a stretch!! Kelly wants to play finals...not a guarantee at saints..by signing two years at GWS he guarantees playing till he is 32-33

You miss my point. It was that for the players that MAY be pried loose by dollars that our competitive of a war-chest has vanished as virtually every club has spare cash this off-season.

It HAS ALWAYS been the case that very good players rarely leave clubs.

That GWS also got another 205 to play with means that even if they had of kept Kelly, that other players who may have been cast aside like the Swans were forced to with Mitchell last year has not happens. Whitfield has extended his contract. Some GWS players will no doubt be available but it now will not only not be a top tier player like Kelly, it will also not be the second tier (but still very good players like Whitfield, and it will most likely only be be their fringe types like Steele that we gained a last season.

PS> I have have always been of the view that cash alone does not attract players at the BigFish/FA strategy that the Saints were following had some major doubts about it. The huge jump in TPP for all clubs just made those issues even more of a concern.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
suss
Club Player

skeptic wrote:Am I the only son that finds it really disturbing that the majority on here seem utterly desperate to throw an exorbitant amount of money at 1 player and feel that anything other than complete success in the 2017 offseason is tantamount to a complete failure of our entire rebuild.

Messiah complex anyone?

Ok so it we didn't get it done. Draft a few good kids and have another crack at it next year
As I understand it, we need to spend 100% of the cap next year and 105% the year after that. Given that we're only paying 95% now and have front loaded the hell out of our contracts already, the only option remaining is to pay a truck load of money to a new recruit - that's why Kelly would've been perfect.

Happy to be corrected but I think this is why we need to get a Stringer or someone capable of sucking up some surplus funds, and can't just use picks 7 and 8 without bringing in an FA - hence all of this "aggressive trading" talk.

supersaints
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:[quote="meher

We ARE cursed! We must be! Every time it looks like it might pan out our way for once something jumps up and bites us. How did the Cubs ditch their curse? Will returning to hallowed ground at Moorabbin help us?
We did get a curse put on us ( there's an old thread on here somewhere)

An indigenous guy ( can't remember his name) pointed the bone at us , from memory it was because we refused to let Nicky Winmar play up Nothern territory during the off season

The curse was never lifted ...

The Filth also had the bone pointed at them when president McAllister said "we would have aboriginal
Players if they behaved like white men"
Seems Collingwood took it more seriously than us because in the end Eddie did organize a ceremony to bury the bone at the MCG and the curse was lifted.. they went on to win a grand final

We did nothing .. the curse continues and I believe the guy who placed the curse has passed on ... So get ready for zero change unless we can talk some elders into burying the bone at Moorabin

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:[quote="meher

We did get a curse put on us ( there's an old thread on here somewhere)

An indigenous guy ( can't remember his name) pointed the bone at us , from memory it was because we refused to let Nicky Winmar play up Nothern territory during the off season

The curse was never lifted ...

The Filth also had the bone pointed at them when president McAllister said "we would have aboriginal
Players if they behaved like white men"
Seems Collingwood took it more seriously than us because in the end Eddie did organize a ceremony to bury the bone at the MCG and the curse was lifted.. they went on to win a grand final

We did nothing .. the curse continues and I believe the guy who placed the curse has passed on ... So get ready for zero change unless we can talk some elders into burying the bone at Moorabin
Thanks ss. Something needs to change and the club should get on the front foot and do it!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!