Alan Blossoms

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Alan Blossoms

Postby Yorkeys » Tue 12 Sep 2017 11:25am

Casual biased observation: AR started the AFL360 show coming across as a bit nervous and deferring a little to that bloke that coaches Geelong. Last night I thought he looked confident, actually made insightful points in an entertaining way and had Geelong Coach looking a bit rattled (naturally perhaps after Martin took his side apart). The Alan Richardson may be one of those high yielding trees that just take a while to develop and blossom. Anyway I was pleased for him and that he is coaching the Saints. I also think his style will be vindicated in comparison to the management speak waffle of the Geelong coach. I believe the media have twigged that since taking over a top Geelong side someone else built his finals record is not so hot. Am I grasping at straws (of course I am), but I hope some here agree. I don't see Alan doing stand up for a little while yet but directorially he seems ok for the big gigs.
Yorkeys
Club Player
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue 13 Jun 2017 1:16pm

Re: Alan Blossoms

Postby Goose is king » Tue 12 Sep 2017 11:43am

Whenever I've heard Richo talk about football in general or other teams I am very impressed with his obvious knowledge and even his performance from an entertainment point of view. But when he talks about St Kilda he is so boring as though he is checking his comments twice in his head before he talks at the risk of giving anything away. Hearing him talk in the media about the saints makes me think "how the hell could the players get inspired by this guy" but when you hear him talk football in general terms or about other teams you understand why he is highly regarded. I think we are in good hands
Goose is king
Club Player
 
Posts: 1594
Joined: Sun 27 Jan 2008 9:05am

Re: Alan Blossoms

Postby parkeysainter » Tue 12 Sep 2017 1:45pm

AR is a good coach everyone. He has a very good footy brain and is a good developer of players.

Yep. He might sound a bit cliche and one paced in the media sometimes but he's the damn coach. The important stuff stays behind closed doors. He's not there just to please the media and give them every little detail. Same with us in some respects. He is on a mission get us into the finals and the top 4.

He is genuinely a top bloke that the players apparantly look up to and respect. I think its great the club is stable in the coaching area. Not sure whats happening with the assistants though. Any news?
Bring back Phil Narkle's helmet into fashion
User avatar
parkeysainter
Club Player
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Thu 20 Jul 2017 2:59am

Re: Alan Blossoms

Postby SaintPav » Tue 12 Sep 2017 3:11pm

So Richo speaks the same way he does in the media as he does to the players behind closed doors?

Are people serious?
User avatar
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 9626
Joined: Wed 16 Jun 2010 9:24pm
Location: Alma Road

Re: Alan Blossoms

Postby spert » Tue 12 Sep 2017 3:19pm

parkeysainter wrote:AR is a good coach everyone. He has a very good footy brain and is a good developer of players.

Yep. He might sound a bit cliche and one paced in the media sometimes but he's the damn coach. The important stuff stays behind closed doors. He's not there just to please the media and give them every little detail. Same with us in some respects. He is on a mission get us into the finals and the top 4.

He is genuinely a top bloke that the players apparantly look up to and respect. I think its great the club is stable in the coaching area. Not sure whats happening with the assistants though. Any news?

He is such a good coach that we dropped down two positions on the ladder this season, and too many players generally under-performed. After four seasons, one would expect ladder positions to improve not go backwards.
spert
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 6780
Joined: Wed 29 Jun 2005 10:39pm
Location: A distant beach

Re: Alan Blossoms

Postby jonesy » Tue 12 Sep 2017 3:32pm

Yet to show he's a damn good coach after 4 years and if he hasn't after his fifth next year he never will be more than just a good bloke.
Bring back the Lockett era
jonesy
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4561
Joined: Sun 18 Jun 2006 2:04pm
Location: Melb

Re: Alan Blossoms

Postby magnifisaint » Tue 12 Sep 2017 3:58pm

jonesy wrote:Yet to show he's a damn good coach after 4 years and if he hasn't after his fifth next year he never will be more than just a good bloke.

So tell me how good Hardwick is.
User avatar
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 5278
Joined: Sun 02 May 2004 2:52am
Location: Fiddling under my raincoat

Re: Alan Blossoms

Postby parkeysainter » Tue 12 Sep 2017 4:10pm

Pretty obvious the players were mostly at fault this year (e.g. goal kicking woes) and its not all AR's fault for missing the finals. Its been gone over before but considering our much harder draw (ranked 4th hardest), we probably broke even or went a bit better than last year even though we won 11 instead of 12. Things like that need to be put in perspective to judge AR's performance.

AR took over a bottom 4 side and has put us on the cusp of finals in his 4th season. Next year will tell us some more. Don't judge or write off a coach too quickly. Look at Richmond and beware.

Some Saints fans will never be happy. I get that, they're quick to throw anyone into a running river if they don't become a superstar in their 1st year of football or the coach doesn't get them into the finals. What is an alternative for a coach atm? Choco Williams, Rocket Eade or Mad Malthouse.

Give AR until 2019 or even the end of 2020. Then we can judge him properly as he should a finals list/side to put out every week.
Bring back Phil Narkle's helmet into fashion
User avatar
parkeysainter
Club Player
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Thu 20 Jul 2017 2:59am

Re: Alan Blossoms

Postby cwrcyn » Tue 12 Sep 2017 4:35pm

None of us know what kind of coach we have within the walls of football club and how good he is with players, etc....how on earth could we? However, it does appear we have a harmonious football club and a board, CEO, and president keen to extend his contract. Perhaps it's one thing Richmond has been able to teach the rest of the football world. If you have a coach the players respect/admire and are very happy to work for, and a supportive board who is willing to bolster the football department in support of the coach, then things can work out pretty well.

It's never just about the coach. In my view, if you have a coach who has everyone's respect and who respects everyone around him, then you're on a good thing. Support him, help him in areas where he may have minor deficiencies, and things should work out okay. And another thing...if you don't have the cattle, not even a super-coach will take you to the big prize.
cwrcyn
Club Player
 
Posts: 1778
Joined: Fri 15 Sep 2006 10:35am
Location: earth

Re: Alan Blossoms

Postby parkeysainter » Tue 12 Sep 2017 4:41pm

cwrcyn wrote:None of us know what kind of coach we have within the walls of football club and how good he is with players, etc....how on earth could we? However, it does appear we have a harmonious football club and a board, CEO, and president keen to extend his contract. Perhaps it's one thing Richmond has been able to teach the rest of the football world. If you have a coach the players respect/admire and are very happy to work for, and a supportive board who is willing to bolster the football department in support of the coach, then things can work out pretty well.

It's never just about the coach. In my view, if you have a coach who has everyone's respect and who respects everyone around him, then you're on a good thing. Support him, help him in areas where he may have minor deficiencies, and things should work out okay. And another thing...if you don't have the cattle, not even a super-coach will take you to the big prize.


Agreed. My thoughts exactly.
Bring back Phil Narkle's helmet into fashion
User avatar
parkeysainter
Club Player
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Thu 20 Jul 2017 2:59am

Re: Alan Blossoms

Postby jonesy » Tue 12 Sep 2017 4:55pm

jonesy wrote:Yet to show he's a damn good coach after 4 years and if he hasn't after his fifth next year he never will be more than just a good bloke.

I'll tell you in 2 or 3 weeks.
Bring back the Lockett era
jonesy
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4561
Joined: Sun 18 Jun 2006 2:04pm
Location: Melb

Re: Alan Blossoms

Postby GregPackhamsHeadband » Tue 12 Sep 2017 7:41pm

Love him or not, he'll be our coach until at least the end of 2020. Get around him. BTW, he now has a new nickname. Alan "blossoms" Richardson! :)
I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
User avatar
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player
 
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed 02 Aug 2017 8:25pm
Location: Goward's Gulch

Re: Alan Blossoms

Postby Stian » Tue 12 Sep 2017 7:43pm

SaintPav wrote:So Richo speaks the same way he does in the media as he does to the players behind closed doors?

Are people serious?


No he doesn't !! I think that is the point that some here are trying to make. We have seen some Saints Unplugged videos and some candid videos of AR welcoming new recruits by phone and lots of other stuff that has come up here and there on the club website. I just get the feeling from all of that that he is the sort of bloke who would get an enormous amount of respect, loyalty and warmth from his players. They would do almost anything to earn his praise.

Now - compare that with somebody like Malthouse. Hmmmmmm ???
Stian
Club Player
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed 14 Sep 2011 2:11pm

Re: Alan Blossoms

Postby parkeysainter » Tue 12 Sep 2017 8:32pm

Stian wrote:
SaintPav wrote:So Richo speaks the same way he does in the media as he does to the players behind closed doors?

Are people serious?


No he doesn't !! I think that is the point that some here are trying to make. We have seen some Saints Unplugged videos and some candid videos of AR welcoming new recruits by phone and lots of other stuff that has come up here and there on the club website. I just get the feeling from all of that that he is the sort of bloke who would get an enormous amount of respect, loyalty and warmth from his players. They would do almost anything to earn his praise.

Now - compare that with somebody like Malthouse. Hmmmmmm ???



Well said. That's what I was saying too. :D
Bring back Phil Narkle's helmet into fashion
User avatar
parkeysainter
Club Player
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Thu 20 Jul 2017 2:59am

Re: Alan Blossoms

Postby magnifisaint » Tue 12 Sep 2017 9:39pm

Hello Blossoms
User avatar
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 5278
Joined: Sun 02 May 2004 2:52am
Location: Fiddling under my raincoat


Return to Saintsational Fan Forum (open to all ages)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], CQ SAINT, Google [Bot] and 8 guests