Finals discussion thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re: Finals discussion thread

Wholeheartedly agree with the comments on here re GWS and the pathetic crowd.

The Swans have done ok by recruiting fans mostly from among the AFL "expat" community in Sydney (ie people who have moved there from Vic, SA, WA and Tas). Those fans are rusted-on to the Swans and few have switched to GWS.

The focus on Western Sydney was a dud idea: it's a region increasingly dominated by migrants who grew up with soccer or (in the case of Pacific Islanders) the rugby codes.

It's really difficult to see how this situation can improve. If the club can't draw adequate crowds in finals with a team of stars playing a highly attractive brand of football, what will happen when the club inevitably hits rough seas. When this happened to the Swans 25 years ago, they were buoyed up by a committed base of supporters, including some successful businessmen. GWS doesn't have such a base: all they have is the AFL.

It'd be embarrassing for the AFL if they weren't an organisation that has long been totally shameless.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bruce G McAbee wrote:Actually, I will be curious, should GWS win tonight, how they will go when they play in front of something they never have before next week. A crowd.
I think the Tigers v GWS game will go down in history as the most one sided game re crowd support ever.

Tigers fans will be out in force as most will know that they will not get a GF Ticket.

Not that many GWS fans will attend.

PF's always do not have huge numbers of neutrals attend, and in this case those that do are likely to lean to the Tigers.
Bruce G McAbee wrote:As for last night, good tactics threw Sydney completely off balance, hope Richo was taking notes.
Cats copied the Hawks plan v Swans....and why not it worked well both times.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I have the distinct feeling that GWS played THEIR " GF" last night. The Tigers will beat them next Saturday evening.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
fugazi wrote:Can't think of a hollower final.
If it wasn't for Stevie J kicking a bag there would've been absolutely no feeling here.
Let's see how he goes next week when they have some opposition. Weagles barely turned up. And the crowd.......14,685. Reflection of what a hollow, franchised, marketing driven shell GWS is. Reflection of where the game is at really. Have to say I'm losing interest to some extent.
Shocking crowd, but Parramatta were playing that night. Bad move by the AFL. would like to see the tv ratings for sydney - the footy came third in my household that night.
Sydney people though really pick and choose their games. Parramatta got what is a very good crowd by nrl standards of 41,000. last week the roosters drew only 21,000 and manly drew 15,000.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:
Sainternist wrote:Apparently Josh Kelly likes to play in front of tiny crowds with people golf clapping his team. What a buzz for his career!
"Show me the money" ?????
I assume we did show him the money, but can't question his loyalty to those long suffering GWS Giants supporters.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
stonecold
SS Life Member

thejiggingsaint wrote:I have the distinct feeling that GWS played THEIR " GF" last night. The Tigers will beat them next Saturday evening.

Sorry Jiggsta, but GWS will wipe the floor with Richmond, crowd or no crowd and by half way through the last, the G will be nearly empty anyway!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
st.byron wrote:
fugazi wrote:Can't think of a hollower final.
If it wasn't for Stevie J kicking a bag there would've been absolutely no feeling here.
Let's see how he goes next week when they have some opposition. Weagles barely turned up. And the crowd.......14,685. Reflection of what a hollow, franchised, marketing driven shell GWS is. Reflection of where the game is at really. Have to say I'm losing interest to some extent.
Shocking crowd, but Parramatta were playing that night. Bad move by the AFL. would like to see the tv ratings for sydney - the footy came third in my household that night.
Sydney people though really pick and choose their games. Parramatta got what is a very good crowd by nrl standards of 41,000. last week the roosters drew only 21,000 and manly drew 15,000.
The Matildas got over 15,000 down the road in Penrith, and it was sold out (looks like Newcastle will sell out, too - on a Tuesday) - and was a lot noisier than the snooze fest a bit further east.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... a03d334e27

It was nearly a very big night for 'lowest crowds'. The Wobbilies only just avoided the lowest crowd of the "professional era".

The TV ratings might tell a similarly interesting tale.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:I have the distinct feeling that GWS played THEIR " GF" last night. The Tigers will beat them next Saturday evening.

Sorry Jiggsta, but GWS will wipe the floor with Richmond, crowd or no crowd and by half way through the last, the G will be nearly empty anyway!!!!!
This could more than likely happen. All it takes is for Richmond to go into the game with any amount of complacency.

If Richmond lose, it could well hurt the club for a long time, as this is its best chance to make a grand final since 1982.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Sainternist wrote: This could more than likely happen. All it takes is for Richmond to go into the game with any amount of complacency.

If Richmond lose, it could well hurt the club for a long time, as this is its best chance to make a grand final since 1982.
People have been writing the Tigers off for years when they fail at a "final hurdle"
It might happen yet this year but they have kept plugging away after previous capitulations however this year they are a good side that deserve a shot
Its strange given the eveness of the season the lopsidedness of the finals
Last edited by sunsaint on Sun 17 Sep 2017 6:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seeya
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
Sainternist wrote: This could more than likely happen. All it takes is for Richmond to go into the game with any amount of complacency.

People have been writing the Tigers off for years when they fail at a "final hurdle"
It might happen yet this year but they have kept plugging away after previous capitulations however this year they are a good side that deserve a shot
Its strange given the eveness of the season the lopp sidedness of the finals
Oh, I hope they make it to the big dance, don't get me wrong. It's just anything can happen really. I mean, I was expecting the Swines to absolutely flog the Sheepshafters on Friday night, but the opposite happened. It certainly has been lopsided!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

How so? They smashed them.

I think Richmond will not find it easy. 1 game in 4 weeks.

Look what happened last year. Both teams with the week off didn't make the grand final.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

I 'm with you, SP. the luck that is supposedly with the tiggers may yet turn on them and bite them on the bum. They'll probably win this week, but they will fail in the big one, methinks. Is that just wishful thinking?

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:I 'm with you, SP. the luck that is supposedly with the tiggers may yet turn on them and bite them on the bum. They'll probably win this week, but they will fail in the big one, methinks. Is that just wishful thinking?

Yes mate, "wishful thinking" I'm amazed at just how many folk want Richmond to fail. Why? Envy? Jealousy? Fear that they may succeed where we failed?

IMHO wanting to see a Victorian side fail simply because WE were unable to land the big one, is somewhat bitter and twisted. But hey! Each to their own

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:I 'm with you, SP. the luck that is supposedly with the tiggers may yet turn on them and bite them on the bum. They'll probably win this week, but they will fail in the big one, methinks. Is that just wishful thinking?
I know what you mean. Agree, they will probably make the GF and from there who knows...they have not been the best team of the year by a long way but plenty of teams have won it without being so.

They still need to get into the GF and like I said before, 1 game in 4 weeks could still be problematic. GWS have the talent to cause an upset.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:

Yes mate, "wishful thinking" I'm amazed at just how many folk want Richmond to fail. Why? Envy? Jealousy? Fear that they may succeed where we failed?

IMHO wanting to see a Victorian side fail simply because WE were unable to land the big one, is somewhat bitter and twisted. But hey! Each to their own
What's the relevance of them being Victorian? They are just one of the other 17 teams.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Home state final teams win more than 90% of the time in PFs. But in the GF, it's 50/50. GFs are a different country.

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
I know what you mean. Agree, they will probably make the GF and from there who knows...they have not been the best team of the year by a long way but plenty of teams have won it without being so.

They still need to get into the GF and like I said before, 1 game in 4 weeks could still be problematic. GWS have the talent to cause an upset.
God I hope you're right, SP!

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

I'm of the same camp that if we can't win it then I don't want an opposition Victorian team winning it (especially one that hasn't won one for years (like us) like the bulldogs last year plus tiger supporters are out of their heads!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

I'm of the same camp that if we can't win it then I don't want an opposition Victorian team winning it (especially one that hasn't won one for years (like us) like the bulldogs last year plus tiger supporters are out of their heads!
Hmmmmm? Odd.... but as I say, each to their own (I guess?) :?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

Hmmmmm? Odd.... but as I say, each to their own (I guess?) :?
I want Richmond to make the granny but not win it.

I can't sand the thought of GWS on the granny and wonder if the MCC will have trouble filling the reserve even selling tickets to restricted members.

There is I guess the possibility of selling public tickets to the granny to fill the AFL reserve which would be a novelty

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
carn_sainter
Club Player

I want either GWS or Adelaide to win. I can't stand a victorian team winning, it just gets pasted everywhere way too much.

I think it would be funny if GWS got in and the crowd was only 90000 or even less. I would love to see the AFL try and spin it. However, it always gets pretty full. A lot of people go with no interest in the game, which is a shame for the fans who miss out.

Adelaide and Richmond have been the two best teams this year, so it should be those two in the GF.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Sad state of affairs when the best side of the year loses a third of their games.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

The MCG (capacity 100,024) has sold out for Richmond v GWS....just 1,256 of those tickets have been sold to GWS fans

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Incredible

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Talk about a 19th man on the field. The crowd alone should see them home. All set up for a tragic GF for Ninthmond.