Finals discussion thread

Re: Finals discussion thread

Wholeheartedly agree with the comments on here re GWS and the pathetic crowd.

The Swans have done ok by recruiting fans mostly from among the AFL "expat" community in Sydney (ie people who have moved there from Vic, SA, WA and Tas). Those fans are rusted-on to the Swans and few have switched to GWS.

The focus on Western Sydney was a dud idea: it's a region increasingly dominated by migrants who grew up with soccer or (in the case of Pacific Islanders) the rugby codes.

It's really difficult to see how this situation can improve. If the club can't draw adequate crowds in finals with a team of stars playing a highly attractive brand of football, what will happen when the club inevitably hits rough seas. When this happened to the Swans 25 years ago, they were buoyed up by a committed base of supporters, including some successful businessmen. GWS doesn't have such a base: all they have is the AFL.

It'd be embarrassing for the AFL if they weren't an organisation that has long been totally shameless.

Bruce G McAbee wrote:Actually, I will be curious, should GWS win tonight, how they will go when they play in front of something they never have before next week. A crowd.
I think the Tigers v GWS game will go down in history as the most one sided game re crowd support ever.

Tigers fans will be out in force as most will know that they will not get a GF Ticket.

Not that many GWS fans will attend.

PF's always do not have huge numbers of neutrals attend, and in this case those that do are likely to lean to the Tigers.
Bruce G McAbee wrote:As for last night, good tactics threw Sydney completely off balance, hope Richo was taking notes.
Cats copied the Hawks plan v Swans....and why not it worked well both times.

I have the distinct feeling that GWS played THEIR " GF" last night. The Tigers will beat them next Saturday evening.

fugazi wrote:Can't think of a hollower final.
If it wasn't for Stevie J kicking a bag there would've been absolutely no feeling here.
Let's see how he goes next week when they have some opposition. Weagles barely turned up. And the crowd.......14,685. Reflection of what a hollow, franchised, marketing driven shell GWS is. Reflection of where the game is at really. Have to say I'm losing interest to some extent.
Shocking crowd, but Parramatta were playing that night. Bad move by the AFL. would like to see the tv ratings for sydney - the footy came third in my household that night.
Sydney people though really pick and choose their games. Parramatta got what is a very good crowd by nrl standards of 41,000. last week the roosters drew only 21,000 and manly drew 15,000.

thejiggingsaint wrote:
Sainternist wrote:Apparently Josh Kelly likes to play in front of tiny crowds with people golf clapping his team. What a buzz for his career!
"Show me the money" ?????
I assume we did show him the money, but can't question his loyalty to those long suffering GWS Giants supporters.

thejiggingsaint wrote:I have the distinct feeling that GWS played THEIR " GF" last night. The Tigers will beat them next Saturday evening.

Sorry Jiggsta, but GWS will wipe the floor with Richmond, crowd or no crowd and by half way through the last, the G will be nearly empty anyway!!!!!

desertsaint wrote:
fugazi wrote:Can't think of a hollower final.
If it wasn't for Stevie J kicking a bag there would've been absolutely no feeling here.
Let's see how he goes next week when they have some opposition. Weagles barely turned up. And the crowd.......14,685. Reflection of what a hollow, franchised, marketing driven shell GWS is. Reflection of where the game is at really. Have to say I'm losing interest to some extent.
Shocking crowd, but Parramatta were playing that night. Bad move by the AFL. would like to see the tv ratings for sydney - the footy came third in my household that night.
Sydney people though really pick and choose their games. Parramatta got what is a very good crowd by nrl standards of 41,000. last week the roosters drew only 21,000 and manly drew 15,000.
The Matildas got over 15,000 down the road in Penrith, and it was sold out (looks like Newcastle will sell out, too - on a Tuesday) - and was a lot noisier than the snooze fest a bit further east.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... a03d334e27

It was nearly a very big night for 'lowest crowds'. The Wobbilies only just avoided the lowest crowd of the "professional era".

The TV ratings might tell a similarly interesting tale.

stonecold wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:I have the distinct feeling that GWS played THEIR " GF" last night. The Tigers will beat them next Saturday evening.

Sorry Jiggsta, but GWS will wipe the floor with Richmond, crowd or no crowd and by half way through the last, the G will be nearly empty anyway!!!!!
This could more than likely happen. All it takes is for Richmond to go into the game with any amount of complacency.

If Richmond lose, it could well hurt the club for a long time, as this is its best chance to make a grand final since 1982.

Sainternist wrote: This could more than likely happen. All it takes is for Richmond to go into the game with any amount of complacency.

If Richmond lose, it could well hurt the club for a long time, as this is its best chance to make a grand final since 1982.
People have been writing the Tigers off for years when they fail at a "final hurdle"
It might happen yet this year but they have kept plugging away after previous capitulations however this year they are a good side that deserve a shot
Its strange given the eveness of the season the lopsidedness of the finals
Last edited by sunsaint on Sun 17 Sep 2017 6:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunsaint wrote:
Sainternist wrote: This could more than likely happen. All it takes is for Richmond to go into the game with any amount of complacency.

People have been writing the Tigers off for years when they fail at a "final hurdle"
It might happen yet this year but they have kept plugging away after previous capitulations however this year they are a good side that deserve a shot
Its strange given the eveness of the season the lopp sidedness of the finals
Oh, I hope they make it to the big dance, don't get me wrong. It's just anything can happen really. I mean, I was expecting the Swines to absolutely flog the Sheepshafters on Friday night, but the opposite happened. It certainly has been lopsided!

How so? They smashed them.

I think Richmond will not find it easy. 1 game in 4 weeks.

Look what happened last year. Both teams with the week off didn't make the grand final.

GregPackhamsHeadband

I 'm with you, SP. the luck that is supposedly with the tiggers may yet turn on them and bite them on the bum. They'll probably win this week, but they will fail in the big one, methinks. Is that just wishful thinking?

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:I 'm with you, SP. the luck that is supposedly with the tiggers may yet turn on them and bite them on the bum. They'll probably win this week, but they will fail in the big one, methinks. Is that just wishful thinking?

Yes mate, "wishful thinking" I'm amazed at just how many folk want Richmond to fail. Why? Envy? Jealousy? Fear that they may succeed where we failed?

IMHO wanting to see a Victorian side fail simply because WE were unable to land the big one, is somewhat bitter and twisted. But hey! Each to their own

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:I 'm with you, SP. the luck that is supposedly with the tiggers may yet turn on them and bite them on the bum. They'll probably win this week, but they will fail in the big one, methinks. Is that just wishful thinking?
I know what you mean. Agree, they will probably make the GF and from there who knows...they have not been the best team of the year by a long way but plenty of teams have won it without being so.

They still need to get into the GF and like I said before, 1 game in 4 weeks could still be problematic. GWS have the talent to cause an upset.

thejiggingsaint wrote:

Yes mate, "wishful thinking" I'm amazed at just how many folk want Richmond to fail. Why? Envy? Jealousy? Fear that they may succeed where we failed?

IMHO wanting to see a Victorian side fail simply because WE were unable to land the big one, is somewhat bitter and twisted. But hey! Each to their own
What's the relevance of them being Victorian? They are just one of the other 17 teams.

Home state final teams win more than 90% of the time in PFs. But in the GF, it's 50/50. GFs are a different country.

GregPackhamsHeadband

I know what you mean. Agree, they will probably make the GF and from there who knows...they have not been the best team of the year by a long way but plenty of teams have won it without being so.

They still need to get into the GF and like I said before, 1 game in 4 weeks could still be problematic. GWS have the talent to cause an upset.
God I hope you're right, SP!

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:

I'm of the same camp that if we can't win it then I don't want an opposition Victorian team winning it (especially one that hasn't won one for years (like us) like the bulldogs last year plus tiger supporters are out of their heads!

Jacks Back wrote:

I'm of the same camp that if we can't win it then I don't want an opposition Victorian team winning it (especially one that hasn't won one for years (like us) like the bulldogs last year plus tiger supporters are out of their heads!
Hmmmmm? Odd.... but as I say, each to their own (I guess?) :?

thejiggingsaint wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:

Hmmmmm? Odd.... but as I say, each to their own (I guess?) :?
I want Richmond to make the granny but not win it.

I can't sand the thought of GWS on the granny and wonder if the MCC will have trouble filling the reserve even selling tickets to restricted members.

There is I guess the possibility of selling public tickets to the granny to fill the AFL reserve which would be a novelty

carn_sainter

I want either GWS or Adelaide to win. I can't stand a victorian team winning, it just gets pasted everywhere way too much.

I think it would be funny if GWS got in and the crowd was only 90000 or even less. I would love to see the AFL try and spin it. However, it always gets pretty full. A lot of people go with no interest in the game, which is a shame for the fans who miss out.

Adelaide and Richmond have been the two best teams this year, so it should be those two in the GF.

Sad state of affairs when the best side of the year loses a third of their games.

The MCG (capacity 100,024) has sold out for Richmond v GWS....just 1,256 of those tickets have been sold to GWS fans

Incredible

GregPackhamsHeadband

Talk about a 19th man on the field. The crowd alone should see them home. All set up for a tragic GF for Ninthmond.