Stringer

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

carn_sainter
Club Player

Re: Stringer

Good post, GPH. There isn't a human being alive that can go through a separation with kids involved and not be adversely affected. I'm ambivalent about him as a player, I couldn't care less really, but I feel for the guy going through that. As a lot of people go through the same...but here is where the famous and fortunate are far worse off than those with lower profiles.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

A big NO from me. Too much baggage and not what we need.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:Had a very interesting conversation with a close family friend of the Stringer's while doing a speaking gig in Bendigo, his home town today. The place is a buzz with what his next move might be. Seems he once played a couple of games for the Bendigo Bombers. Anyhow, the nice lady I spoke to assured me his problems were due to his relationship break up and that it had affected him very badly. She blamed his partner and accused her of being a "nut job" who was making his life very difficult with her erratic behaviour. She told me her experience was that he came from a good, well respected family and that he was basically a decent guy. She rubbished claims he was on the drugs, but then again, how could she know for sure?

On a positive note, his family is very supportive amd his parents have moved to Melbourne to be with him, help out with the kids and get him back on track. That is encouraging news, no matter where he ends up. Those of us who have been through divorce, or relationship break ups where young kids are involved will know how traumatic that can be. It's enough to drive anyone down, especially one so young. This has been aggravated by the fact his partner is determined to play the whole mess out in public. The young man is just 23. Plenty on here have judged him without knowing anything about him or his circumstances. I don't know that what this lady said about him is true, but she seemed genuine and it seems that the folk at the talk were behind him, as was the town of Bendigo. Support is so important at these times.

I know Luke Beveridge punting him is a very big red flag as Luke is renowned for his man management skills, but he could end up the bargain of the century if he can be secured at the right price. Today's Dusty of yesteryear. All Australian and premiership player. Get him if we can. It seems Geelong is his first preference, with his connection to Hayden Skipworth giving the dopers an inside run. You never know what might happen. We might still be able to pinch him.
Interesting. Can he play elsewhere than the forward line?

minneapolis
Club Player

Thanks Mr Band.

That makes a lot of sense.

I work with a guy that is getting a divorce from a "nutjob" wife and the issues are reverberating weekly.

It has been said that getting a divorce is probably the most stressful situation you can experience.

Did the lady target JJ on purpose? Just speculation I know.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

My question is - why is there an 8 page thread on a bloke who appears to have no interest in coming to our club? We appear to be the slimmest of chances at best of securing this guy so why are we wasting our energy worrying either way about him? He wants either the bombers or the Cats. We're not even in the discussion. Surely we only want blokes who WANT to come to our club?
I get the feeling that we were never seriously in consideration for Kelly or Martin either. Players want to go to top 8 clubs and generally clubs with a big supporter base.

We need to start picking better in the drafts and working our way up from there.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A ... qg7BqyU9PA

this is what we should be looking at. Aaron Hall would be good. A mobile 2nd ruckman who can play fwd.

If Mav wants to return to the GC then maybe there's some possibilities here.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:My question is - why is there an 8 page thread on a bloke who appears to have no interest in coming to our club? We appear to be the slimmest of chances at best of securing this guy so why are we wasting our energy worrying either way about him? He wants either the bombers or the Cats. We're not even in the discussion. Surely we only want blokes who WANT to come to our club?
I get the feeling that we were never seriously in consideration for Kelly or Martin either. Players want to go to top 8 clubs and generally clubs with a big supporter base.

We need to start picking better in the drafts and working our way up from there.
Good post. No, forget that. Great post.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
We need to start picking better in the drafts .
I agree. But will we, and why will we?

We have not changed our List Management Team at all. In recent years they have been ok at the talent brought in from other clubs, but not so ok with draft picks.

And by ok, I mean their ability to do better than other clubs as a key plank in in improving needs to be in nailing ones draft picks as a whole. Obviously no one gets 100% right, but have had a distinct lack of rising stars etc.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Ah the Saints. We were truly spoilt from 2004 to 2011. A real anomaly, but fans nowadays seem to think it is our birthright to play finals and that players view us as a viable destination. Neither is true. Just enjoy the footy. When we make finals again, one day, it'll be fantastic. when (or if) we win our second flag we'll know heaven on earth. The higher the mountain you climb, the greater the celebration.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Turbo
Club Player

Latest whisper is Saints have supposedly offered Stringer 3 years.

Some time soon.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:Ah the Saints. We were truly spoilt from 2004 to 2011. A real anomaly, but fans nowadays seem to think it is our birthright to play finals and that players view us as a viable destination. Neither is true. Just enjoy the footy. When we make finals again, one day, it'll be fantastic. when (or if) we win our second flag we'll know heaven on earth. The higher the mountain you climb, the greater the celebration.
Great post! Very succinctly articulated! Kudos colleague!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:My question is - why is there an 8 page thread on a bloke who appears to have no interest in coming to our club? We appear to be the slimmest of chances at best of securing this guy so why are we wasting our energy worrying either way about him? He wants either the bombers or the Cats. We're not even in the discussion. Surely we only want blokes who WANT to come to our club?

I guess, as Jack Nicholson's character said: " you can't handle the truth"!!! ??? Could apply to many Saints supporters?

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

How were we spoilt?

We won SFA!!!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Stuff Stringer....Krakour from Port should be available soon.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:How were we spoilt?

We won SFA!!!
we won the mcclellan trophy, two prelims, and a bunch of qualiying and semifinals, even had room for a preseason cup in there. compare that to the late seventies and all of the eighties. surely you enjoyed all of that? i did.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
supersaints
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:Had a very interesting conversation with a close family friend of the Stringer's while doing a speaking gig in Bendigo, his home town today. The place is a buzz with what his next move might be. Seems he once played a couple of games for the Bendigo Bombers. Anyhow, the nice lady I spoke to assured me his problems were due to his relationship break up and that it had affected him very badly. She blamed his partner and accused her of being a "nut job" who was making his life very difficult with her erratic behaviour. She told me her experience was that he came from a good, well respected family and that he was basically a decent guy. She rubbished claims he was on the drugs, but then again, how could she know for sure?

On a positive note, his family is very supportive amd his parents have moved to Melbourne to be with him, help out with the kids and get him back on track. That is encouraging news, no matter where he ends up. Those of us who have been through divorce, or relationship break ups where young kids are involved will know how traumatic that can be. It's enough to drive anyone down, especially one so young. This has been aggravated by the fact his partner is determined to play the whole mess out in public. The young man is just 23. Plenty on here have judged him without knowing anything about him or his circumstances. I don't know that what this lady said about him is true, but she seemed genuine and it seems that the folk at the talk were behind him, as was the town of Bendigo. Support is so important at these times.

I know Luke Beveridge punting him is a very big red flag as Luke is renowned for his man management skills, but he could end up the bargain of the century if he can be secured at the right price. Today's Dusty of yesteryear. All Australian and premiership player. Get him if we can. It seems Geelong is his first preference, with his connection to Hayden Skipworth giving the dopers an inside run. You never know what might happen. We might still be able to pinch him.
Did the nice lady suggest that his partner made turn up late for several training sessions, turn up in a very poor state when he did. Refuse to do rehab when injured, or refuse to go into the reserves when told to, or tell the coach and many others to get stuffed ??????

He's had personal issues but he's got some serious other issues ...

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
SaintPav wrote:How were we spoilt?

We won SFA!!!
we won the mcclellan trophy, two prelims, and a bunch of qualiying and semifinals, even had room for a preseason cup in there. compare that to the late seventies and all of the eighties. surely you enjoyed all of that? i did.
I am aware of that but at the end of the day, we won stuff all.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

I'm still not sure why a post about Jake Stringer that goes for a number of pages beats a video post about Nick Riewoldt's last game on here. It barely got a comment.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

supersaints wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Did the nice lady suggest that his partner made turn up late for several training sessions, turn up in a very poor state when he did. Refuse to do rehab when injured, or refuse to go into the reserves when told to, or tell the coach and many others to get stuffed ??????

He's had personal issues but he's got some serious other issues ...
The point of the thread is that the reason he turned up late, not rehabbed etc...... BECAUSE of the grief she caused, such as dumping the kids with him unannounced on GF eve 2016. If you've been through something similar, you'd know what I'm talking about. My divorce years, as I call them, we're not my finest. It bled into and affected every aspect of my life. Ironically, I ended up with the kids, but it was a hell of a fight. Get with the program :roll: .

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

There are 2 sides to every story (actually there are many more) but she sounds like a piece of work.

supersaints
Club Player

I don't normally follow social media but both Abbey and Jake have spoken in glowing terms about each other after seperation and the same with several media stories they have shared. so maybe it's the " nice lady" who is the nutter?

Like every other human being the only one responsible for your behavior is yourself, ....BECAUSE it's Jakes behavior he is responsible, I've been through a devastating divorce so I know where your comming from , and how tough it is ... but I always tried to behave responsibility and not use excuses to behave poorly

That's my program .....

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:Had a very interesting conversation with a close family friend of the Stringer's while doing a speaking gig in Bendigo, his home town today.
Interesting tidbit GPH, but to be honest I don't reckon Jake's Auntie's neighbour in Bendigo would have a clue what Jake gets up to in Melbourne… he could be smashing the gear and his family might not even know.

The dogs are dead-set desperate for forwards so things must be pretty dire for them to put him up for trade so publicly. This isn't just late to training.

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

dragit wrote:
GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:Had a very interesting conversation with a close family friend of the Stringer's while doing a speaking gig in Bendigo, his home town today.
Interesting tidbit GPH, but to be honest I don't reckon Jake's Auntie's neighbour in Bendigo would have a clue what Jake gets up to in Melbourne… he could be smashing the gear and his family might not even know.

The dogs are dead-set desperate for forwards so things must be pretty dire for them to put him up for trade so publicly. This isn't just late to training.
Agreed, dragit. I mentioned the fact she wouldn't know for sure if he was or wasn't on the "uncle Doug's". If Luke is letting someone of Jake's talent go, there must be a fair bit to it. My post should have made it clear that the nice lady's point was that Jake was a terrific kid, dedicated to football as a teenager, who overcame a horrendous broken leg in his draft year. No problems then with his rehab, dedication, etc. and that his erratic behaviour started around the same time his relationship was breaking down. I hope the two of them work it out, if only for the kiddies' sake. The bright lights, fame and a pretty girl have been the downfall of many a young lad from the bush. Make that many a young lad.

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

supersaints wrote:I don't normally follow social media but both Abbey and Jake have spoken in glowing terms about each other after seperation and the same with several media stories they have shared. so maybe it's the " nice lady" who is the nutter?

Like every other human being the only one responsible for your behavior is yourself, ....BECAUSE it's Jakes behavior he is responsible, I've been through a devastating divorce so I know where your comming from , and how tough it is ... but I always tried to behave responsibility and not use excuses to behave poorly

That's my program .....
That's a fair cop ss, but let's not forget he was a father at an age most blokes are still walking around bumping in to things. Then to have all your dirty laundry hung out in public is hard for anyone to handle, let alone a young kid. Throw in the users, fame hunters, dodgy characters who are attracted to young people with lots of money to spend, if you get my meaning. :wink:

I'm certainly glad my early life story wasn't on social media. I bet most of us are. I only found fame later in life when I started posting on here. It's a tough gig, but I'm becoming mature enough to handle all the adulation, fame hunters, dodgy characters etc............ :D

Gershwin
Club Player

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:
dragit wrote:

Agreed, dragit. I mentioned the fact she wouldn't know for sure if he was or wasn't on the "uncle Doug's". If Luke is letting someone of Jake's talent go, there must be a fair bit to it. My post should have made it clear that the nice lady's point was that Jake was a terrific kid, dedicated to football as a teenager, who overcame a horrendous broken leg in his draft year. No problems then with his rehab, dedication, etc. and that his erratic behaviour started around the same time his relationship was breaking down. I hope the two of them work it out, if only for the kiddies' sake. The bright lights, fame and a pretty girl have been the downfall of many a young lad from the bush. Make that many a young lad.
Fortunately I missed out on the bright lights, fame and pretty girl so I don't know how hard that is.
I think it is a buyer beware situation and hope we look elsewhere.

summertime and the living is easy ........