Stringer

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Stringer

Impatient Sainter wrote:He obviously has some attitude issues, but if the Saints think they could turn him around would be worth a look.
Mate, 2017 was disappointing, no dispute. But have we become SO desperate that we'd take on someone like Stringer? REALLY?

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
takeaway
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:He obviously has some attitude issues, but if the Saints think they could turn him around would be worth a look.
Mate, 2017 was disappointing, no dispute. But have we become SO desperate that we'd take on someone like Stringer? REALLY?
If we can get him for a reasonable trade, then yes.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:
"Reasonable trade" ? First round draft picks + a player? While we have Membrey, Bruce and Mc Cartin? I'll have to really think about THAT one!

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

No thanks. Prefer Membrey.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

MickThomas wrote:
SuperSaint wrote:
MickThomas wrote:
GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:G.Lyon. His dad won first division tattslotto twice. His son has never done a day's real work in his life. Good footballer, but that's about all. Not the sharpest knife in the draw and has no idea what the average person struggles with. It shows. I'm afraid he's a bit of a narcissistic corkhead. Rarely says anything that resonates in a positive way. Prefer others.
I had no idea Lyon Senior had won tattslotto twice.
Imagine the odds on that?
I remember in Year 12 maths, we were told during a class on statistics, that if you won Div 1 once, you had a much better chance of winning again, than other folks.
It could happen 15 years later, or 15 weeks later, but yes, for some weird reason, the odds get slightly better.
I hope this person isn't teaching my kids.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
MickThomas wrote:
SuperSaint wrote:
MickThomas wrote:
GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:G.Lyon. His dad won first division tattslotto twice. His son has never done a day's real work in his life. Good footballer, but that's about all. Not the sharpest knife in the draw and has no idea what the average person struggles with. It shows. I'm afraid he's a bit of a narcissistic corkhead. Rarely says anything that resonates in a positive way. Prefer others.
I had no idea Lyon Senior had won tattslotto twice.
Imagine the odds on that?
I remember in Year 12 maths, we were told during a class on statistics, that if you won Div 1 once, you had a much better chance of winning again, than other folks.
It could happen 15 years later, or 15 weeks later, but yes, for some weird reason, the odds get slightly better.
I hope this person isn't teaching my kids.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Ha Ha Ha! :lol: :lol: :lol:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:No thanks. Prefer Membrey.
They play different roles, and they play differently. But yes they are both forwards, though Stringer can also do short stints in the midfield.

Membrey despite being shorter is more your classic marking third tall.

Stringer is more the running outside half forward. More of a playmaker.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Rosco
Club Player

I'm not convinced that buying a ticket increases my chances of winning.

takeaway
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:
takeaway wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:
"Reasonable trade" ? First round draft picks + a player? While we have Membrey, Bruce and Mc Cartin? I'll have to really think about THAT one!
Who said first round draft pick and a player? No way. All sorts of deals can be done. Stringer can go through the mid field as well. We are apparently working away at a deal for a player west of Melbourne --- Lever?, Gaff? , probably Stringer.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:
Would have a serious look at him.
Get to the bottom of what his off field issues are.
But you'd be mad not to give him serious attention.
He is a talent.
Just need to know what the challenges are.
You can't just write off a 23 year old that good because they aren't a choir boy.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Fri 08 Sep 2017 1:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:I'm not convinced that buying a ticket increases my chances of winning.
Not much difference....

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:
He is a talent.
Just need to know that the challenges are.
You can't just write off a 23 year old that good because they aren't a choir boy.
So forget about Kelly? Forget about using our first round picks for good kids? To take a chance on another "project"? If you really think the Bulldogs would accept less than our first round picks plus a player for Stringer you're dreaming

takeaway
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:
He is a talent.
So forget about Kelly? Forget about using our first round picks for good kids? To take a chance on another "project"? If you really think the Bulldogs would accept less than our first round picks plus a player for Stringer you're dreaming
Depends if the bulldogs are, as rumoured, quite willing to trade him. Not sure Kelly is an option any more - Jaxons is usually on the money.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote: So forget about Kelly? Forget about using our first round picks for good kids? To take a chance on another "project"? If you really think the Bulldogs would accept less than our first round picks plus a player for Stringer you're dreaming
No way would Stringer cost our first two picks plus a player.

Look at what the Hawks paid for Tom Mitchell.

Like the Swans the Dogs want to offload Stringer and that reduces the trade price. He will not go for peanuts, but no way would he cost both of our first 2 rounders, let alone that plus steak knives.

Cats want Stringer and they certainly would not have anything like you are suggesting to trade.

The key here would be having Stringer select the Saints.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Channel 7 claiming Stringer to Cats but really who knows.
What have Cats got to give?
Not much.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Fri 08 Sep 2017 1:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_President
Club Player

- Very simple country boy.
- Could apply himself better on the training track (still only 23, penny can still drop)
- Very inconsistent year, lots of injuries (still only 23, would've had a late start due to the flag)
- Partner enjoyed herself (was the queen b of all the Western Bulldog wags, and she made sure everyone knew it)
- Off-field distractions can lead to inconsistency (bun in the wrong oven)

It would be a risk, yes.
But at just 23 and a remarkable skill set, it's not a risk to be overlooked.

wskin

This Stringer scenario reminds me a bit of the Stevie J situation all those years ago. Was inconsistent, lazy and seemed disinterested. Geelong very nearly let the guy go but gave him another chance. Eventually things clicked and he turned into an absolute gun (who ripped us to shreds many times). Obviously things could turn out differently but surely it's worth chasing the upside, especially if he is going cheap. :D

knock knock
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

wskin wrote:This Stringer scenario reminds me a bit of the Stevie J situation all those years ago. Was inconsistent, lazy and seemed disinterested. Geelong very nearly let the guy go but gave him another chance. Eventually things clicked and he turned into an absolute gun (who ripped us to shreds many times). Obviously things could turn out differently but surely it's worth chasing the upside, especially if he is going cheap. :D
But he's not Stevie J, he's a bum, FFS!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Numpty

thejiggingsaint wrote: So forget about Kelly? Forget about using our first round picks for good kids? To take a chance on another "project"? If you really think the Bulldogs would accept less than our first round picks plus a player for Stinger you're dreaming
Stinger is a great friend of mine, and a true patriot. I'd hire him in an instant, an instant, believe me! And I don't worry about the Dreamers, and neither does Stinger, believe me. :twisted: #dreamingofSaintStinger.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Numpty wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote: So forget about Kelly? Forget about using our first round picks for good kids? To take a chance on another "project"? If you really think the Bulldogs would accept less than our first round picks plus a player for Stinger you're dreaming
Stinger is a great friend of mine, and a true patriot. I'd hire him in an instant, an instant, believe me! And I don't worry about the Dreamers, and neither does Stinger, believe me. :twisted: #dreamingofSaintStinger.
Haven't seen Stinger since saynta appeared.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Numpty wrote:
Haven't seen Stinger since saynta appeared.
I miss Stinger and his surfing with the great white shark avatar.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Numpty wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:
He is a talent.
+1
Look at him for sure.
Not everyone is a mature role model at 23 years old.
Who remembers being 23?
Now imagine you were being paid half a million dollars a year....

Nee!
stonecold
SS Life Member

Richo hasn't rules him out, seems to like he's X-Factor, which is something we need!!!!!

Stringer and Kelly would help, as good as Kelly was last night, he looks like a player that's out the door at GWS!!!!!

Saints still into him, don't rule him out of the equation just yet!!!!!

Stringer will not stay at dogs, especially now with JJ staying!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Numpty wrote:
I didn't know he'd gone to the NFL. I'm watching the Patriots at the moment and haven't seen hide nor hair of him.
Are you sure he's a patriot?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell