Stringer

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_President
Club Player

Re: Stringer

All in.

Watch the video of him speaking on Trade Week Radio.

That's a man who is shocked about what's happened.
- Admits he didn't always do everything right.
- Admits that it was a tough year for him personally.

Plenty of rumours about Stringer... but he is still only 23, he just won a flag last year and is going through a messy split where his ex wants to get as much media as possible.

This smells every bit like a massive wake up call for old Jake.

Get him Sainters.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote:All in.

Plenty of rumours about Stringer... but he is still only 23, he just won a flag last year and is going through a messy split where his ex wants to get as much media as possible.

Get him Sainters.
My view entirely.

Too many Doggies got way in front of themselves and Stringer has been chosen by Bevo to be the sacrificial lamb to turn the others around. If a big group pf Doggies are not turned around they will be dead and buried.

So Stringer is being sacrificed to ring the wake up call loud and strong to the other players, and is not being exited just because of his own actions IMO.

After watching that interview I am now even more convinced that we should grab if if we can.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Big plus one from me.

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
The_President
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
The_President wrote:All in.

Get him Sainters.
My view entirely.

Too many Doggies got way in front of themselves and Stringer has been chosen by Bevo to be the sacrificial lamb to turn the others around. If a big group pf Doggies are not turned around they will be dead and buried.

So Stringer is being sacrificed to ring the wake up call loud and strong to the other players, and is not being exited just because of his own actions IMO.

Lot of rumours about Jake, plenty around Bevo being a control freak as well...

After watching that interview I am now even more convinced that we should grab if if we can.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Well, if we end up getting Stringer we'll then have a team with The Two Jakes.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Both with dubious histories. The first one has come good. Why can't we do the same for the second one? Stringer is a massive talent. Premiership player. When I did my gig at Bendigo, I was blown away by how highly rated he was by the people who'd seen him grow up. I know that might be a bit of local country town hero worship, but I can't help thinking he wasn't "troubled" until this year. His record certainly suggests that. He was travelling down the road to success, had a blow out and nearly veered into a field, but can correct and get back onto the freeway of success. He's worth the punt, IMHO.

shrodes
SS Life Member

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-19/s ... -on-future

In text form rather than video.

Shocked about getting canned.
Hasn't spoken to Bevo about it.
Has met with Dodoro but no club frontrunner yet.
Will announce nominated club this week sometime probably.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I'll say it again. He's not interested in us. He wants the Cats or Bombers.

What have people seen in him that they like so much? The ducking of the head when he goes for marks? The putting one hand out as he scoots past packs? The fear of body contact? The lack of workrate?

He would command a large pay and he WILL let you down. Yes he has some unbelievable athletic gifts. BUT this drop in form just didn't happen this year. It was most of last year as well. It's almost as if once opposition clubs worked him out after 2015 he doesn't have a lot in the bag of tricks left. It's not the fact that he has done nothing for the best part of 2 years - it's the way he's done nothing. He looks timid.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Meh.

All Victorian clubs are in the equation.

We would be foolish to not even entertain an offer.

There is potentially an A grade all Australian player up for grabs here.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
spert
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Meh.

All Victorian clubs are in the equation.

We would be foolish to not even entertain an offer.

There is potentially an A grade all Australian player up for grabs here.
Richo will weave his magic spell on Stringer and he will come our way.

supersaints
Club Player

Moods wrote:I'll say it again. He's not interested in us. He wants the Cats or Bombers.

What have people seen in him that they like so much? The ducking of the head when he goes for marks? The putting one hand out as he scoots past packs? The fear of body contact? The lack of workrate?

He would command a large pay and he WILL let you down. Yes he has some unbelievable athletic gifts. BUT this drop in form just didn't happen this year. It was most of last year as well. It's almost as if once opposition clubs worked him out after 2015 he doesn't have a lot in the bag of tricks left. It's not the fact that he has done nothing for the best part of 2 years - it's the way he's done nothing. He looks timid.
Got to agree ... pass for me

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
supersaints
Club Player

It was interesting listening to his presser ... he didn't think he had any issues and everything was rosy. He said he was " shocked " at the exit interview....
Now someone who doesn't even know he's behaving poorly must either know ...or has severe behavioral problems. For some reason I don't think it's all the staff and coaches at the club that's dillusional... because it means everything is either made up or not factual and the coaches want to all lie for some reason
seems a bit Donald Trump and NPD to me
Jakes alternate truth maybe?

He's been through tough times no doubt ....but needs to get a grip on reality, FFS he's just been giving the arse and doesn't think he did anything wrong.. buyer beware!

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

160 goals from 89 games and hasn't pulled his finger out yet.

Wait for what he will do when he actually matures and knuckles down.

Big yes from me.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:It was interesting listening to his presser ... he didn't think he had any issues and everything was rosy. He said he was " shocked " at the exit interview....
Now someone who doesn't even know he's behaving poorly must either know ...or has severe behavioral problems. For some reason I don't think it's all the staff and coaches at the club that's dillusional... because it means everything is either made up or not factual and the coaches want to all lie for some reason
seems a bit Donald Trump and NPD to me
Jakes alternate truth maybe?

He's been through tough times no doubt ....but needs to get a grip on reality, FFS he's just been giving the arse and doesn't think he did anything wrong.. buyer beware!
Some of us heard the same presser and took different interpretations from it - not unusual.

I disagree he "didn't think he had any issues" - I thought he clearly fessed up to having some. As to whether he excused himself from responsibility, that's another question.

But, "severe behavioral problems" - nah, don't buy it.

Premiership player, AA by the time he was 22. He mightn't have dominated in last year's finals, but he sure helped get them there.

It's down to the assessment of relative value - the Moneyball question.

I saw Zac Toohey (on telly) completely lose it at the G last year, playing for Carlton. It was passion and a lack of long term grounding that had him lose it. Now he's a trusted and vital member of a revamped defence that plays in a preliminary final this weekend. Environment might not be everything, but it's as sure as hell important.

As to whether he may haved already chosen others, and ignored us, that worries me. Blokes like Stringer nod to what their managers say. The players themselves have little idea, and entrust much of their immediate futures to their managers' knowledge.

If Stringer's manager has wiped us so early, that doesn't sound like we're even close to being a 'destination club'. But, that is only based on media reporting, naturally.

It's still a concern, if we're not even being considered.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The question how long is a piece of Stringer implies indeterminate quality and is difficult to answer given info available. One of the spots we need to fill is the HFF opposite Billings and next to Paddy. An in form Jake Stringer could be just the right length but may lack the defensive binding qualities so valued in current team selection, as evidenced by M. Weller's automatic inclusions. (aside : fortunately Jake is slightly less photogenic than Mav so would not appear on the season promotional brochure - another reason Mav kept getting picked?) We have Battle who might be a handy HF, Long and Meatball plus others together with the possibility Mav will return to pre poster boy form? Given that and Jake's expressed man love for Dangerfield, making an inquiry couldn't hurt but he would have to be dirt cheap and due diligence thorough. The risk is so high the cost needs to be minimal. However Motlop's manager may be making contingency plans for a move to Footascray.

Gordo'
Club Player
Location: banned for a spell, things didn't turn out so well, every thread i played, ffs was lucky i stayed!!!

Con Gorozidis wrote:160 goals from 89 games and hasn't pulled his finger out yet.

Big yes from me.
oh ffs yeah!!! what this man just said!!! (you just have to be a muso', right mate?)

to those who have their doubts about this bloke, just watch how he ducks his flowering head, drops his flowering marks, can't flowering kick, can't flowering play in the mid flowering field, is flowering selfish, is flowering slow, and i could flowering go on, ffs!!! :roll:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WHLn2k0BKKo

and all that is not from his aa year, but from his flowering supposedly floweringly dud 2016 season! :roll: ffs!!! the bloke is a flowering bona fide axe playing star! and going cheap! and he's only 23 too, ffs!!!

Fortitude Fidelity Sainta.
Gordo'
Club Player
Location: banned for a spell, things didn't turn out so well, every thread i played, ffs was lucky i stayed!!!

Yorkeys wrote: (aside : fortunately Jake is slightly less photogenic than Mav so would not appear on the season promotional brochure - another reason Mav kept getting picked?)
he only looks that way mate because of that flowering stupid soft@$*!k phil collins-esque jumper he's been forced to flowering wear.

Fortitude Fidelity Sainta.
David-Lee
Club Player

freely wrote:
David-Lee wrote:I dont trust anyone's opinion who cheats on his wife with his best friends wife then taps out because it hurts.
Surely there's some solid intelligent ex football players with excellent analysis skills!?!?!?
Er me either but gary lyon didn't do either of those things!
Ummm yes he did.

He had an affair with his good mate's wife Billy Brownless. According to divorce papers filed he had orchestrated family holidays together with the 2 families even paying the Brownless family airfares then admitted to relations with Brownless wife whilst Billy was downstairs sleeping in a chair.

Then after it all came out and he ruined his family and lost his mate he waved the white flag and went on mental health leave stating depression.
Now I believe family breakdown is a 2 way street and both marriages have 2 people responsible but only 2 of the 4 chose to cheat and bring a world of public pain on their family.

Tell me I'm wrong? I lived in his hometown and these country bumpkins couldnt talk about anything else as well as heard it from his own relative...

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

The pressed was the usual bland, PR spin type of affair, where no one wants to damage the other side. He admitted he had problems and made mistakes, so he is aware. If he wasn't, I'm sure Bevo would've let him know. That's his way. I saw his influence at St.Bedes Mentone. He's stil talked about in hushed tones of reverence there, with his man management skills being legendary. That's my only scintilla of doubt. If Luke punted him, given the enormous amount of potential and Jake's youth, there must have been a very good reason. If you expect to learn anything from these staged pressers then I have some bad news for you.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Gordo' wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:160 goals from 89 games and hasn't pulled his finger out yet.

Big yes from me.
oh ffs yeah!!! what this man just said!!! (you just have to be a muso', right mate?)

to those who have their doubts about this bloke, just watch how he ducks his flowering head, drops his flowering marks, can't flowering kick, can't flowering play in the mid flowering field, is flowering selfish, is flowering slow, and i could flowering go on, ffs!!! :roll:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WHLn2k0BKKo

and all that is not from his aa year, but from his flowering supposedly floweringly dud 2016 season! :roll: ffs!!! the bloke is a flowering bona fide axe playing star! and going cheap! and he's only 23 too, ffs!!!

Yeah - he's got a brilliant highlights package, no-one would deny that. I notice that package didn't come with any highlights from the VFL? Strange cos there was plenty to choose from. :D

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

God I'm over this Stringer thread.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
MickThomas
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote:God I'm over this Stringer thread.
Stringer...thread
Swine...twine
Essendope...rope

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
damienc
Club Player

Moods wrote:I'll say it again. He's not interested in us. He wants the Cats or Bombers.

I think your opinion is on the money IMO.

Bob Murphy, who I rate highly as a person and as a player, was interviewed on radio about Stringer.

Reading between the lines, Murphy said Stringer had huge self belief, make that believes his own BS, but was lazy with a poor work ethic.

The Bulldogs didn't just wake up one morning and decide to cut Stringer. This was no surprise and brewing for some time.

I don't think we'll get Stringer. He prefers other clubs over us. Sorry to disagree with most people, but I reckon we will have dodged a bullet if we don't get him.

Do we want a guy at our footy club with his attitude?

Not in my view,

MickThomas
Club Player

damienc wrote:

I think your opinion is on the money IMO.

Bob Murphy, who I rate highly as a person and as a player, was interviewed on radio about Stringer.

Reading between the lines, Murphy said Stringer had huge self belief, make that believes his own BS, but was lazy with a poor work ethic.

The Bulldogs didn't just wake up one morning and decide to cut Stringer. This was no surprise and brewing for some time.

I don't think we'll get Stringer. He prefers other clubs over us. Sorry to disagree with most people, but I reckon we will have dodged a bullet if we don't get him.

Do we want a guy at our footy club with his attitude?

Not in my view,
I think Stringer will make lots of Sainters happy!
The Blue Sky Brigade will be over the moon if we nabbed him.
The same people who
-adore Gilbo
-think Seb is a very effective midfielder who NEVER wastes a disposal (not his fault that
his team-mates don't have 15m-long arms, or can't compete one against 5 :shock: )
-believe that Paddy will become a blend of Tex Walker and Buddy Franklin, with a dash of Plugger thrown in
-know that Ben Long will become as damaging as Cyril Rioli and Eddie Betts
-understand that Baroose is a perfectly valid second ruck option
-hold Elshyte in high regard as the "Dalai Lama" of recruiting (he should get a Nobel Prize, for sure, for services to the AFL)

Yes, the BSB (Blue Sky Brigade) wants Stringer to come to the land of success, the club of excellence
and drink from the well of magnificence

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Seen a lot of pressers in my time and Stringer is a very, very interesting proposition.

He reminds me a little bit of Barry Hall in his time with us - immature but very talented, his head not always in the game.

However, this is a lad crying out for some love and leadership. He desperately needs to be nurtured by a supportive group who value him and his contributions.

He also needs to be led. He needs to be inspired to work. He needs to be shown that he's a role model; that what he does impacts others.

Honestly, I don't make the call that he'll be great here or great there on a gut feel. He's one that could really go either way. Would I take him? Absolutely - he's too good a talent to be overlooked, and with my doubts on McCartin, I think the three-way attack of Bruce-Stringer-Membrey offers three very different points of scoring.

The question for me is more about what we'd have to give up to get him and what kind of money he'd want. I'd be keen to avoid giving up a top 10 pick in a cold swap. There should also be a lot of performance-related clauses in the contract.

(The one exception on culture is the Sydney Swans, who are nailed-on perfect to develop him from boy to man.)

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.