Jaxons come on down (2017/18 thread)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jaxons come on down (2017/18 thread)

The addition of Haynes would give us a very strong backline to work with next year.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
ace
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote:My Melbourne spies tell me that both the Club and Simon Goodwin are not happy with Jack Watts and there is talk of moving him on.

Anyone else heard anything like this?
Straight swap of No 1 draft picks, Watts for McCartin. Both teams losers.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote:Nick Haynes is legit one of their best backman.. is a gun.. getting him would be huge
I tend to agree. Would be a massive get. Don't discount the value of a really elite back man.

Similar to Roberton but can play bigger, yet is just as mobile with better disposal. Good reader of the ball in flight.

Would expect GWS to play exceptional hardball to hang onto him. You don't let guys this good go easily.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Matera from Suns will be going to Freo. Has done a medical there. Signed and sealed.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:
mightysainters wrote:Nick Haynes is legit one of their best backman.. is a gun.. getting him would be huge
I tend to agree. Would be a massive get. Don't discount the value of a really elite back man.

Similar to Roberton but can play bigger, yet is just as mobile with better disposal. Good reader of the ball in flight.

Would expect GWS to play exceptional hardball to hang onto him. You don't let guys this good go easily.

Can Robo or Hayne go onto a wing or midfield?

With Geary and Webster on the small forwards, Carlisle and Brown on the Key forwards,
We would have a glut of HBFs including White, Savage, Rice and Hayne. Hayne l 193cm looks big enough to play true KPD so is good back up for Brown, but we really need midfield quality.

Nee!
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

fugazi wrote:
bigred wrote:

With Geary and Webster on the small forwards, Carlisle and Brown on the Key forwards,
We would have a glut of HBFs including White, Savage, Rice and Hayne. Hayne l 193cm looks big enough to play true KPD so is good back up for Brown, but we really need midfield quality.
2nd whisper. Saints are very keen on Devon Smith along with Hayne from GWS also. He wants to play as a mid.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
bigred
Saintsational Legend

We do need midfield quality.

bad...

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:
fugazi wrote:
bigred wrote:

2nd whisper. Saints are very keen on Devon Smith along with Hayne from GWS also. He wants to play as a mid.

Source? Whispers everywhere at this time of year.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

st.byron wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
fugazi wrote:
bigred wrote:

Can't give away my sources.

Plenty more whispers to come also.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
fugazi wrote:
bigred wrote:

its all in the newspapers this morning..

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Devon Smith would be a good addition to our midfield. Goal kicking mids are exactly what we need.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

SuperDuper wrote:Midfield progression: stats per year of our young midfilelders

Acres: 9,12,17,20. .. still only 21 years old
Billings: 15,15,20,23.. just turned 22
Gresh: 15,14….... just turned 20
Jack Sinclair, 10,13,21.... played as 22 year old this year
Luke Dunstan: 19,17,17,22.... played as 22 year old this year
Jack Steel 14,15,22.. still only 21

Freeman???

On average, possession counts improve steadily until 23 years of age. That is the normal progression, of course there are exceptions.
But this midfield could really explode in the next 2 years
The above indicates a good steady progression.

And on Freeman, played a number of consecutive senior VFL games for the first time before an unrelated somewhat minor injury and had got it 30 plus times in 4 consecutive games before injury. You could say his trajectory is steady and upward.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

parkeysainter wrote:
fugazi wrote:
bigred wrote:

Now it gets interesting. We are in a good position to secure both but we need to pay. We missed out on Kelly, but the addition of these two would bring a decent improvement to our list.

We may need to accept that it will cost our two first rounders, although you wouldn't immediately put that on the table. I know many here will howl at that prospect, but what we'd be getting is two very good players, no speculation. Going to the draft with the two picks would be a somewhat speculative exercise.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Hope the Saints give it a proper crack at Smith and Haynes.

Even Tomlinson and Kennedy too.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Jaxons?

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

I think jax has done enough for now

Sounds like smith has about 5 suitors. Interestingly no press on Haynes - that's why jax is the man

#1 Ryder fan
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

MC Gusto wrote:I think jax has done enough for now

Sounds like smith has about 5 suitors. Interestingly no press on Haynes - that's why jax is the man
No way. Bugger that I want to know everything and now!! :D :D :D

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Kennedy, Smith & Haynes for #7 & #8 + Lonie.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
ace
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:

The reality is GWS can not contain all their early draft pick stars on higher pay.
They have to let a few go, to be replaced by less highly paid early draft picks.
They will want an early draft pick from us.
Later draft picks are only useful if pursuing an academy player.

The wider problem is that while we pick up scraps from GWS they will always have a better list than us.
Fortunately for all clubs, as has been proved yet again their coach is not of the same standard as his players talent.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

We won't get Smith.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
bigred wrote:

The reality is GWS can not contain all their early draft pick stars on higher pay.
They have to let a few go, to be replaced by less highly paid early draft picks.
They will want an early draft pick from us.
Later draft picks are only useful if pursuing an academy player.

The wider problem is that while we pick up scraps from GWS they will always have a better list than us.
Fortunately for all clubs, as has been proved yet again their coach is not of the same standard as his players talent.
Yeah you are spot on.
Cannot see the GWS list management having to deal with what you would call a "normal" draft, with a "normal" range of draft picks. They are just continually cycling through a whole bunch of second round picks from trading off their "fringe".

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I don't claim to be an ITK, but I heard some reliable info last night. A friend of mine is acquainted with many in the Industry (former & current Players & Coaches and SEN people), he's not a St Kilda supporter.

Firstly he had the mail on Stringer. It appears he has gambling problems, to the point where he has blown all his money. I can actually possibly corroborate this, as I have seen Stringer come out of the local Pokie joint on 2 occasions, late at night on a weekday. I live in the Western Suburbs these days. So his wife has probably left him for good reason unfortunately.

Geelong consider themselves in 'the window' and are prepared to take a punt on him, his Manager wants him to go to Geelong because he thinks they have the culture that may help him. However Essendon are hovering and waiting for Geelong to make an offer which they may top. Stringer's Manager is concerned that Stringer will take the best money offer because he's broke.

Stringer may bounce back from his travails, but there's no guarantee, so he is a massive risk.

My friend hadn't heard about Nick Haynes, but was adament that we're into and likely to get Zac Williams from GWS.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Isn't Zac Williams a defender?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Proph3t of egan
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:Isn't Zac Williams a defender?
Can also play forward and maybe even wing

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Get Haynes and Williams.