Best 22 without trades

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Best 22 without trades

Here's is my go at our Rnd 1 team 2018 as the list stands prior to trades and draft picks assuming everyone fit and available and natural improvement of another pre season;

B: Geary, Brown, Webster
HB: White, Carlisle, Roberton
C: Newness, Ross, Sinclair
HF: Billings, Bruce, Acres
F: Membrey, McCartin, Gresham
Foll: Longer, Steven, Armitage

Int: Gilbert, Steele, Dunstan, Savage

Emerg: Freeman, Stevens, Marshall

Love to slip a Kelly or Whitfield in there somewhere :D

MickThomas
Club Player

Re: Best 22 without trades

replace Armo with Koby
otherwise, yes agree with you

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

It is Stevens vs Dunstan vs Armo for that one spot I reckon.
Stevens currently deserves it but Dunstan had a good last month.

Nee!
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Decent side.

I personally don't think we can have Dunstan, Armitage, Steele and Koby Stevens in the same side if all fit and ready. At least 1 of them would miss as all way to similar in game style and position.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
dragit
Saintsational Legend

9th - 13th

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

The problem i see with that side is that i only believe 9 of those 26 named have any improvement left in them .
Take the captain for example.
I like him , he's a tough nut , gives it his all every week but his football abilities are as good now as there ever going to be .
Geary and skill are two words that are unlikely to appear in the same sentence.
The saints are crying out for some skilled footballers.

In red white and black from 73
Gershwin
Club Player

mr six o'clock wrote:The problem i see with that side is that i only believe 9 of those 26 named have any improvement left in them .
I like him , he's a tough nut , gives it his all every week but his football abilities are as good now as there ever going to be .
Geary would be in the top 3 small defenders in the competition. Least of our problems.
It certainly isn't a young team but then I guess if you are going for the cup you are looking at experience over youth.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Brown in the team is going no where fast. Does his job but the game isn't played w one dimensional tall backs these days.

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Not a bad 22, older Saint. The problem is it's just that. Not bad. We desperately need at least three others of some class in there. Two midfield jets and a top class key position type swingman is what we need to go the next step. Of course, McCartin needs to become a 40+ goals a year forward. The intriguing ones are Goddard and Freeman. If they come on, we are halfway home, but they and Paddy represent some very big ifs. Then there's the question of depth. I don't think it's quite as good as we'd like to think it is. Still, there's potential in that lot you named.

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
To the top
SS Life Member

Geary is not only the problem but symptomatic of the problem

Stevens is also a problem because his hands are not clean - and the reason he is at his third Club

He is not a patch on Armitage or on Dunstan

And we had better trust that Freeman performs to expectations in 2018 because we need skill and pace to support Armitage and Dunstan

Plus Ross has to become damaging with the pill and Steele has to find some pace and kicking skills

Webster needs to improve all aspects of his game

What we need to do is benchmark our players against the best in the competition - absent the nonsense on Geary's rating

He would not get a game in any other side

And he is our Captain

Spare me!!

footynut
Club Player

mr six o'clock wrote:The problem i see with that side is that i only believe 9 of those 26 named have any improvement left in them .
B: Geary, Goddard, Webster
C: Freeman, Ross, Sinclair
Foll: Longer, Steven, Steele

Int: Gilbert, Dunstan, Savage, Armitage

Emerg: Stevens, Marshall, Rice

But lets be honest Goddard probably still wont be ready so Brown will come in. Imagine the increased flexibility if we can some how squeeze Goddard & Marshall into the team.

AND ACRES MUST ROTATE THROUGH THE MIDDLE!!!!

saintbob
SS Life Member

footynut wrote:

But lets be honest Goddard probably still wont be ready so Brown will come in. Imagine the increased flexibility if we can some how squeeze Goddard & Marshall into the team.

Good looking team, but I'd swap Armitage out for Newnes

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

To the top wrote:Geary is not only the problem but symptomatic of the problem

Stevens is also a problem because his hands are not clean - and the reason he is at his third Club

And we had better trust that Freeman performs to expectations in 2018 because we need skill and pace to support Armitage and Dunstan

Plus Ross has to become damaging with the pill and Steele has to find some pace and kicking skills

What we need to do is benchmark our players against the best in the competition - absent the nonsense on Geary's rating

And he is our Captain

Spare me!!
The elephant in the room, TTT. No one wants to acknowledge it, but our captain is the least of the 18 in the comp. we've gone from having an inspirational, match winning champion as captain, who could change the course of a game in five minutes, to a good honest battler, who wouldn't even get a game in the best teams in the competition. A reflection of our coach. Honest, but mediocre. The mediocracy lives at St.Kilda.

MickThomas
Club Player

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:
To the top wrote:Geary is not only the problem but symptomatic of the problem

And he is our Captain

Spare me!!
The elephant in the room, TTT. No one wants to acknowledge it, but our captain is the least of the 18 in the comp. we've gone from having an inspirational, match winning champion as captain, who could change the course of a game in five minutes, to a good honest battler, who wouldn't even get a game in the best teams in the competition. A reflection of our coach. Honest, but mediocre. The mediocracy lives at St.Kilda.
Put Gears into any Top 8 team jumper; he wouldn't even be an emergency unless their back 6 got the flu.

Some of the folk on here refuse to see the truth.
The sky is blue, according to them

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
dragit
Saintsational Legend

MickThomas wrote:Put Gears into any Top 8 team jumper; he wouldn't even be an emergency unless their back 6 got the flu.

Yep, that's why perennial top 4 geelong were chasing him as a free agent, to play VFL.

MickThomas
Club Player

dragit wrote:
MickThomas wrote:Put Gears into any Top 8 team jumper; he wouldn't even be an emergency unless their back 6 got the flu.

Yep, that's why perennial top 4 geelong were chasing him as a free agent, to play VFL.
Sorry, I had no idea you were either psychic or work in Saints recruiting.
I suppose, like George Costanza said, "It's not a lie...if you believe it"

dragit
Saintsational Legend

MickThomas wrote:
dragit wrote:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/c ... 2937de6d80

You remind me a little bit of George Costanza, but with all the funniness removed.

footynut
Club Player

saintbob wrote:
footynut wrote:

Good looking team, but I'd swap Armitage out for Newnes
That i could handle that

MickThomas
Club Player

dragit wrote:
MickThomas wrote:
dragit wrote:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/c ... 2937de6d80

You remind me a little bit of George Costanza, but with all the funniness removed.
I made you waste your time looking for the article.
This obsession with being right on a nondescript forum simply proves you need to get out more. Sad.

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Yep, Geelong targeted Geary in 2014, according to the HS. Three years ago. They can't have tried too hard as they normally get their man. A speculative article is proof? I doubt they were too serious. I also doubt he'd be in their best 22 now. I bet they were spewing they couldn't get him over the line.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:Decent side.

I personally don't think we can have Dunstan, Armitage, Steele and Koby Stevens in the same side if all fit and ready. At least 1 of them would miss as all way to similar in game style and position.
Richo simply HAS TO get the balance right on this next season.

No sense having four tough, solid in-and-under extractors on the ball and as a result depriving guys like Billings, Acres, Gresham and Sinclair of time in the middle.

If we are going to play all four of Dunstan, Armitage, Steele and Stevens they need to also be be able to slot in elsewhere ... as flanker or small forwards.

I actually rate all four very highly. It's just that they are very similar in style and need to develop other strings to their bows.

Dunstan is showing signs already that there is more than a one-dimensional plodder, developing a sweeping left foot and becoming a handy goal-kicker. The others need to do the same.

Richo MUST get this right for this side to really click. That he won't is my biggest concern about next season.

I feel this issue is so important that ultimately his job will depend on getting it right.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Interesting to read in the Hun today that Jack Sinclair was 4th in the league for distance run at high speed.
Another pre season and he'll be an elite player.

Nee!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:Yep, Geelong targeted Geary in 2014, according to the HS. Three years ago. They can't have tried too hard as they normally get their man. A speculative article is proof? I doubt they were too serious. I also doubt he'd be in their best 22 now. I bet they were spewing they couldn't get him over the line.
Apologies if it doesn't fit your narrative of Geary being s*** and Geelong being recruiting deity, it was reported pretty widely at the time, check it with one of your connections if you wish.

He has flaws no doubt, but I think most sides would play Geary if they needed to shut down a gun small forward like Betts or Rioli… his record at doing this is very good.

MickThomas
Club Player

dragit wrote:
GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:Yep, Geelong targeted Geary in 2014, according to the HS. Three years ago. They can't have tried too hard as they normally get their man. A speculative article is proof? I doubt they were too serious. I also doubt he'd be in their best 22 now. I bet they were spewing they couldn't get him over the line.
Apologies if it doesn't fit your narrative of Geary being s*** and Geelong being recruiting deity, it was reported pretty widely at the time, check it with one of your connections if you wish.

He has flaws no doubt, but I think most sides would play Geary if they needed to shut down a gun small forward like Betts or Rioli… his record at doing this is very good.
This forum is about opinions.
If you don't like his opinion, buy a box of Kleenex and have a big sook.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

MickThomas wrote:
dragit wrote:

This forum is about opinions.
If you don't like his opinion, buy a box of Kleenex and have a big sook.
More than happy to chat with WW as he is capable of critical and robust discussion and has a clue… unlike yourself who can't handle being challenged when continually posting absurd and derogatory insults about the players.