Delist the fitness guys.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gershwin
Club Player

Delist the fitness guys.

I heard from an 'ITK' that the sports scientists at St. Kilda do not allow the players to take goal-kicking practice. This has been confirmed in an interview with Jack Billings who said:

"An elite finisher throughout in his junior years, Billings, 22, has kicked 47 goals and 65 behinds in 62 AFL games and returned 20.32 in a 2017 season that has been a shocker for the Saints in front of the big sticks.

The wound that is falling agonisingly short of a first finals appearance in six years has been salted by the missed opportunities — the Saints have kicked more behinds than goals in a league-high 12 games this season.

“With how much we have in our program, I’ve had to try and map out where I can have extra shots,” Billings said.

“I could easily have 50-100 shots outside, but you wouldn’t tell the fitness guy.

“In a game you’re so buggered when you’re having a shot for goal, so it’s about trying to emulate those situations as best you can. At training, in-between or after drills, I’ve started to have two set shots while I’m tired."

I really find it hard to believe that when players have an obvious problem they not forced/encouraged to overcome it and given special training.

I get the feeling that real football people at the club are being over-ridden by the sports-scientists.

summertime and the living is easy ........
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Re: Delist the fitness guys.

Bill Davoren, our former fitness boss has just been sacked by the filth. Bugger. This means the filth may improve. Davoren ruined the dogs, ruined us and ruined the filth. These guys are so overrated. Bring back Dave Misson, one of the few who has a good track record. Was terrific for us under Lyon and has improved the dreamons.

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

OP sounds like an emotional knee jerk reaction when you consider that Saints have had a good record with soft tissue injuries the last few years. Excellent actually.

Goal kicking should be practiced under match like conditions ie when you are completely buggered. Not kick to kick stuff you did at High School.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SMS
Club Player

Agree. Not just goal kicking but in general our fitness is shocking. Weve dies in the ass so many times its ridiculous. What I dont understand is RICHMOND SACKED HIM cause they were crap fitness then WE PICK HIM UP??? WHY?? FFS. Sack the fitness guys and sack Hamill. His forwardline coaching is herrendous. Get new fitness guy and forward coach and we'll be back on track. Those two have been responsible for the LACK OF DEVELOPMENT in very important areas.

Will be interesting to see what we do. OR will we wait another year? I bet we do. incompentant bloody football club we are!

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:Bill Davoren, our former fitness boss has just been sacked by the filth. Bugger. This means the filth may improve. Davoren ruined the dogs, ruined us and ruined the filth. These guys are so overrated. Bring back Dave Misson, one of the few who has a good track record. Was terrific for us under Lyon and has improved the dreamons.
Is that "bubble" Misson who thought Luke Ball could only play 6 minute stints?

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

During match simulation at training ( more than once a week) when the mark was taken within distance the player was required to kick for goal. Even if play had been re started the player would still go through the routine of kicking for goal. During hard physical stamina training quite often the whistle would blow and ALL players would run to the 50 and take a set shot.
So it's not a lack of practice but the yips. ( Like standing on the tee and rhe next group arrive ). Just as likely to be the most accurate team next year :D :D

SuperDuper
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:OP sounds like an emotional knee jerk reaction when you consider that Saints have had a good record with soft tissue injuries the last few years. Excellent actually.

Goal kicking should be practiced under match like conditions ie when you are completely buggered. Not kick to kick stuff you did at High School.
Yes.. big over reaction

Hamstring injuries are closely related to fatigue. What if we had 5 hamstring injuries because tired players tried to kick the ball long ...
That would not help us make the 8

So.. I dont know what the solution is but it is best if it is worked out with the fitness guys also having an input as to where and when the kicking practice takes pace rather than havinhg to sneak off without tellling them

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:Bill Davoren, our former fitness boss has just been sacked by the filth. Bugger. This means the filth may improve. Davoren ruined the dogs, ruined us and ruined the filth. These guys are so overrated. Bring back Dave Misson, one of the few who has a good track record. Was terrific for us under Lyon and has improved the dreamons.
+ 1

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:During match simulation at training ( more than once a week) when the mark was taken within distance the player was required to kick for goal. Even if play had been re started the player would still go through the routine of kicking for goal. During hard physical stamina training quite often the whistle would blow and ALL players would run to the 50 and take a set shot.
So it's not a lack of practice but the yips. ( Like standing on the tee and rhe next group arrive ). Just as likely to be the most accurate team next year :D :D
About as likely as you pulling a root that you dont have to pay for.

0%.

<warning for demeaning commentary to a poster>

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote:
Is that "bubble" Misson who thought Luke Ball could only play 6 minute stints?
Check out our overall injury record under Misson. It was incredibly good. Most of Luke's problems were between his ears and involved the coach not rating him anywhere near where his lover GT did. Had to get himself fit at the filth or his career was over.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
tony74 wrote:During match simulation at training ( more than once a week) when the mark was taken within distance the player was required to kick for goal. Even if play had been re started the player would still go through the routine of kicking for goal. During hard physical stamina training quite often the whistle would blow and ALL players would run to the 50 and take a set shot.

0%.
Agree.

There must be more to it. At least our guys don't get injured much. If anything, that should make it easier in that they are getting consistent game time.

Just dismissing it as the yips is a cop out. Is it the game style that is hurting us in front of goal? Are the players simply too young to run themselves ragged and have the maturity to mentally reset before having a set shot at goal??

Most players from most teams would be buggered when lining up for goal.

Get the physiologist involved.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Darth Vader
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:

0%.
Don't know if it's the yips or fatigue or psychological or game style, but the important thing is to slag off Tony74 for daring to offer an informed opinion.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

0%.

Get out of bed on the wrong side?

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I would love to see a gameplan that depended on precision kicking instead of depending on every player running himself ragged.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Darth Vader wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

0%.
Don't know if it's the yips or fatigue or psychological or game style, but the important thing is to slag off Tony74 for daring to offer an informed opinion.
The stats show our worst conversion is the first two quarters and the start of each quarter. It's not fatigue.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

hire a hynotist - convince each player they are plugger's illigitimate son. but it must be kept a secret.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
spert
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote:I would love to see a gameplan that depended on precision kicking instead of depending on every player running himself ragged.
I would love to see a game plan..period! Seems to be it's just a matter of moving the ball forward in whatever way you can and hope for best.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

David Mission's performance speaks for itself...

But reading his book is a challenge. It's one thing to get his take one things but about 1/3 of it is propaganda endorsing how utterly magnificent and amazing RL is/was. It really doesn't ave that natural feel to it at all.

It reminds me of House of Cards where President Underwood hires a guy to write his biography but really it's meant to plug his big, controversial policy

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

"History is the set of lies we all agree upon." Napoleon Bonaparte said that. Or it might have been Andrew O'Keefe. Misson was a Lyon devotee and that has to be taken into consideration when reading the self promoting material. These things tend to become hagiographies. I just read Killary Clinton's fourth (yes fourth) biography. Strangely, it doesn't mention any of the controversies that dogged her and slick Willy over the years. If you want to look up up hagiography in the dictionary, there is a picture of Killary's latest self indulgent lies and spin.

MickThomas
Club Player

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:"History is the set of lies we all agree upon." Napoleon Bonaparte said that. Or it might have been Andrew O'Keefe. Misson was a Lyon devotee and that has to be taken into consideration when reading the self promoting material. These things tend to become hagiographies. I just read Killary Clinton's fourth (yes fourth) biography. Strangely, it doesn't mention any of the controversies that dogged her and slick Willy over the years. If you want to look up up hagiography in the dictionary, there is a picture of Killary's latest self indulgent lies and spin.
someone on here explained "hagiography"...
I think it's the study of the biographies of Saints (not St Kilda folk, but church saints- as in St Francis of Assisi, St Stanislaus, St Bernadette, St Peter...etc etc etc)

And why would Killary have 4 flowering biographies?
It's the story of one's life. Has she been reincarnated 3 times,
and the earlier books were of her life as
-Marie Antoinette in 18th Century France -"Let them eat cake"
-the fearsome Chinese female pirate lord Ching Shih (lived 1775–1844)
It beggars belief

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
Ellaandjohn
Club Player

We kick for goal as much as every other club. If you saw our field kicking you will realise why we miss goals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David-Lee
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:

0%.

<warning for demeaning commentary to a poster>
Demeaning yet it gives me the feels...lol!

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Ellaandjohn wrote:We kick for goal as much as every other club. If you saw our field kicking you will realise why we miss goals

Are you saying we've got a team of players who can't hit any target at all?

Ellaandjohn
Club Player

freely wrote:
Ellaandjohn wrote:We kick for goal as much as every other club. If you saw our field kicking you will realise why we miss goals

Are you saying we've got a team of players who can't hit any target at all?
No because that would mean we never kick a goal. We are 50/50 with difficult kicks in field play

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I see the AFL site lays the blame for our goal-kicking on Ben McGlynn (who I never heard of till this minute!)