2017....WHAT WAS IT?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

David-Lee
Club Player

2017....WHAT WAS IT?

The stats say one thing
Our win loss is a thing
Our percentage is a thing

The football world outside of our club and its world class intelligent, sexy and actually frigging brilliant fan base....well, the footy world says 2017, " major disappointment, complete waste, went backwards, lost their way" all of these are a thing being said.

There's plenty of conjecture about the season, who needs to go and who needs to lift and what we do with trades and the draft.

But putting it all together 2017 was a let down in IMO .
Yes, there were the obvious champions to whom time caught
Yes, a few other injuries but we were supposedly 3rd least affected by injury ( last year was good as well so kudos to physios and trainers)
Yes, our schedule was tougher but that certainly can't be a genuine excuse when a team is in rebuild mode now 4 years deep ( check Hawthorns rebuild - why can't we emulate that? )
Yes, our kicking was wayward.

6 players lifted in the last 6 games. A few had strong entire seasons.
The ruck quandary grows.
The elite speed lackinh in midfield is spotlighted like never before.
The lack of a midfield honey badger is evident.
The lack of a genuine number #1 forward who marks 8 times a game and kicks 3-5 goals per is lacking and has for a loooonnnngggg time.

The last Coleman Medalist was Fraser Gehrig 2004 & 2005
The last Brownlow Medalist was Robert Harvey 1997 & 1998
The last Norm Smith medalist was Lenny Hayes 2010
The last Michael Tuck medalist was Jason Gram 2008
The last winner of the Leigh Matthews trophy was Nick Riewoldt 2004
The last winner of the Rising Star was Nick Riewoldt 2002

Feels like a long time rebuilding but go ahead pull that one example of current club Richmond as your excuse why 4 years deep we still are being touted as a disappointment.
Can it change in 2018?
Or is it 2019 or 2020?

How long does it take? Will it take?

Do you know? Explain it if you can I really can't see a grand final team not even with improving players.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2017....WHAT WAS IT?

David-Lee wrote:The stats say one thing
Our win loss is a thing
Our percentage is a thing

The football world outside of our club and its world class intelligent, sexy and actually frigging brilliant fan base....well, the footy world says 2017, " major disappointment, complete waste, went backwards, lost their way" all of these are a thing being said.

There's plenty of conjecture about the season, who needs to go and who needs to lift and what we do with trades and the draft.

But putting it all together 2017 was a let down in IMO .
Yes, there were the obvious champions to whom time caught
Yes, a few other injuries but we were supposedly 3rd least affected by injury ( last year was good as well so kudos to physios and trainers)
Yes, our schedule was tougher but that certainly can't be a genuine excuse when a team is in rebuild mode now 4 years deep ( check Hawthorns rebuild - why can't we emulate that? )
Yes, our kicking was wayward.

6 players lifted in the last 6 games. A few had strong entire seasons.
The ruck quandary grows.
The elite speed lackinh in midfield is spotlighted like never before.
The lack of a midfield honey badger is evident.
The lack of a genuine number #1 forward who marks 8 times a game and kicks 3-5 goals per is lacking and has for a loooonnnngggg time.

The last Coleman Medalist was Fraser Gehrig 2004 & 2005
The last Brownlow Medalist was Robert Harvey 1997 & 1998
The last Norm Smith medalist was Lenny Hayes 2010
The last Michael Tuck medalist was Jason Gram 2008
The last winner of the Leigh Matthews trophy was Nick Riewoldt 2004
The last winner of the Rising Star was Nick Riewoldt 2002

Feels like a long time rebuilding but go ahead pull that one example of current club Richmond as your excuse why 4 years deep we still are being touted as a disappointment.
Can it change in 2018?
Or is it 2019 or 2020?

How long does it take? Will it take?

Do you know? Explain it if you can I really can't see a grand final team not even with improving players.
See you in 2018?

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
dragit
Saintsational Legend

next tuesday

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

It was a year of the Rooster (2017). 1873 (formed) and 1897 (joined VFL) are also years of the Rooster. StKFC (note the prominence of KFC) is therefore subject to the Chinese year of the rooster 12 year bad luck cycle in Rooster years. E.G. 1993 10 wins 10 losses finished 12th and coincidently kicked far more behinds than goals. In 2005 beaten by Sydney in prelim after being run over in last quarter after looking pretty preeety good for 3/4. Sydney went top. The Rooster is the symbol of ordinariness and by and large we honoured that characteristic this year. Other portents were the ROO -ster (#12) having to retire and Paddy having his comb smacked too many times (12?). We also missed 12 shots for goal from a radius of 12 meters from the square. And we did not win 12 games which we all know was unlucky. This year was clearly no ones fault as higher powers were at work. However its nearly over so I think we will all get lucky next year. c**k a doodle Do.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote:It was a year of the Rooster (2017). 1873 (formed) and 1897 (joined VFL) are also years of the Rooster. StKFC (note the prominence of KFC) is therefore subject to the Chinese year of the rooster 12 year bad luck cycle in Rooster years. E.G. 1993 10 wins 10 losses finished 12th and coincidently kicked far more behinds than goals. In 2005 beaten by Sydney in prelim after being run over in last quarter after looking pretty preeety good for 3/4. Sydney went top. The Rooster is the symbol of ordinariness and by and large we honoured that characteristic this year. Other portents were the ROO -ster (#12) having to retire and Paddy having his comb smacked too many times (12?). We also missed 12 shots for goal from a radius of 12 meters from the square. And we did not win 12 games which we all know was unlucky. This year was clearly no ones fault as higher powers were at work. However its nearly over so I think we will all get lucky next year. c**k a doodle Do.
:lol: :lol:

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Just another year really. 1 game out of the 8. Mid table battlers that were very good but very poor some rounds.

Still think our list improved this year and developed well. Its the best its been since 2011 imo.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
MickThomas
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote:It was a year of the Rooster (2017). 1873 (formed) and 1897 (joined VFL) are also years of the Rooster. StKFC (note the prominence of KFC) is therefore subject to the Chinese year of the rooster 12 year bad luck cycle in Rooster years. E.G. 1993 10 wins 10 losses finished 12th and coincidently kicked far more behinds than goals. In 2005 beaten by Sydney in prelim after being run over in last quarter after looking pretty preeety good for 3/4. Sydney went top. The Rooster is the symbol of ordinariness and by and large we honoured that characteristic this year. Other portents were the ROO -ster (#12) having to retire and Paddy having his comb smacked too many times (12?). We also missed 12 shots for goal from a radius of 12 meters from the square. And we did not win 12 games which we all know was unlucky. This year was clearly no ones fault as higher powers were at work. However its nearly over so I think we will all get lucky next year. c**k a doodle Do.
This piece of brilliance really should be a 'sticky'
inspired...hilarious...save for future generations
8-) :D

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
MickThomas
Club Player

Weller is #44
Kept getting picked, nobody knows what 'for' (4)
4+44= 48
12 x 4 = 48
See, it just gets worse

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
MickThomas
Club Player

"Stick a fork in it, we're cooked"

StKFC Kicking Fails Continually

David-Lee
Club Player

Yippee so 2018 the year of the Dog. That will be sweet. All bark no bite. Growl like big dogs but turn with our tails between our kegs.Jump up in everyone's lap.Chinese analogy ruin.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

I think the fact we have no rising star nomination and no all Australian in the final 22 says A LOT about our year!

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Joe Bloggs
Club Player

Was a good year ...it's a hard competition..had some thrilling wins and some poor loses....most saintsational experts picked this a few years ago ..but lost their foresight in need for instant gratification...we have the bones of a good team ..we need a classy mid a classy forward and another classy defender as soon as possible. Then we will be in the eight for a few years to come. We are a very Young team that can mix it with the best on occasions. A bit of class we will have the consistency. It takes most teams decades to rebuild ..We will be tougher and stronger for longer next year. Imo.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:next tuesday
Agree.

On the wines?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Joe Bloggs wrote:Was a good year ...it's a hard competition..had some thrilling wins and some poor loses....most saintsational experts picked this a few years ago ..but lost their foresight in need for instant gratification...we have the bones of a good team ..we need a classy mid a classy forward and another classy defender as soon as possible. Then we will be in the eight for a few years to come. We are a very Young team that can mix it with the best on occasions. A bit of class we will have the consistency. It takes most teams decades to rebuild ..We will be tougher and stronger for longer next year. Imo.
Pretty much summed the year up for me too, Joe Bloggs. Folk will see the 2017 season, as they want to see it. Me? Well at the end of the day, it's a FOOTBALL SEASON, that's all! Something to be enjoyed simply for the joy of meeting up,with good pals pre game, perhaps sharing a beer or two, chewing the fat and just hanging out. Was 2017 a bad year?...... well no, for me it wasn't.

2016 was by far the worst year I've known, for that was the year dear Eastern left us , all too soon. Tim Calder was another one we lost, I'd settle for wooden spoons for the foreseeable future, if I could have the chance to share the good times with my mate Tom.

Others may disagree with my assessment, feel free, I'm not really bothered what you think, I just miss my mate, and football is only a GAME. 2017 is gone, I choose to look forward to whatever 2018 throws at us.

David-Lee
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:
Joe Bloggs wrote:Was a good year ...it's a hard competition..had some thrilling wins and some poor loses....most saintsational experts picked this a few years ago ..but lost their foresight in need for instant gratification...we have the bones of a good team ..we need a classy mid a classy forward and another classy defender as soon as possible. Then we will be in the eight for a few years to come. We are a very Young team that can mix it with the best on occasions. A bit of class we will have the consistency. It takes most teams decades to rebuild ..We will be tougher and stronger for longer next year. Imo.
Pretty much summed the year up for me too, Joe Bloggs. Folk will see the 2017 season, as they want to see it. Me? Well at the end of the day, it's a FOOTBALL SEASON, that's all! Something to be enjoyed simply for the joy of meeting up,with good pals pre game, perhaps sharing a beer or two, chewing the fat and just hanging out. Was 2017 a bad year?...... well no, for me it wasn't.

2016 was by far the worst year I've known, for that was the year dear Eastern left us , all too soon. Tim Calder was another one we lost, I'd settle for wooden spoons for the foreseeable future, if I could have the chance to share the good times with my mate Tom.

Others may disagree with my assessment, feel free, I'm not really bothered what you think, I just miss my mate, and football is only a GAME. 2017 is gone, I choose to look forward to whatever 2018 throws at us.

Yep I reckon lots of youngsters that could develop nicely. 3-5 yr players creeping to elite. Armo & Stevens healthy can't be overestimated how they impact. Both were NQR.
I wrote eloquently ( I am selling tickets to my show on my website) about lung puncture. I did it in year 11 and played the same way ...I lost aerobic fitness and though I seemed right just couldn't get my wheels and grunt for 6 months. I ran my ass off but just could not get it back for that period of time. Finally came good and then blew me knee.

SPOT ON

DEFENDER +1
MIDFIELD SPEEDSTER +1
FORWARD +1

whether its a current player who develops or a trade in or draft - those 3 spots would equal 4-7 on the ladder for years to come.
I reckon we could actually have them in the team if they can be developed. Dont write off Freeman or what can happen when Battle gets 75 games - could be scary. Not sure on young monster defenders...someone said Goddard to CF and not so sure but similar to BJ he lacks speed but height and smarts galore. Not a bad skill player with hand and foot. just too slow I think to defend the quicks like Franklin.

St Lenny
Club Player

This year was a step backwards, terrible. I can't see any improvement of any note for several years. Not with our current team.

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Yep, all we need is a gun key back, a gun key forward and a couple of gun midfielders. Just like we did before the start of 2017. And the year before that. And the year before that. And so on. We need a recruiting and trading miracle in the off season. I'm praying for one, but I doubt even JC can help out on that front.

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Yep. A really good year. Eleventh, with a shyte percentage and thrashed eight times in crucial games against final eight teams. The third highest average losing margin in the competition. As Frank Sinatra sang, " now that I'm 55, it was a very good year. It was a very good year because we finished eleventh and missed the finals again. When will our premiership drought end? Not by the time I'm 65." But it was a very good year. Genius :roll:

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
wolfpup
Club Player

General points:

McCartin and Goddard injured all year stifled their development and impacted our team
Played Suns, Lions and Blues once. Bit unlucky there since other teams in the 8 played them all twice.
Great run of 4 wins, smashed the tigers, i think we were sitting 5th and then 3 shocking losses of around 60 points with an APPALLING loss to the bombers (who played great) after 2 weeks of saints hype in the media
Membery suspension, poor timing
Dropping Bruce was stupid
Roo was slowing down :(
Loss to Power:(
Positive was defeating 2 x top 4 teams
Another positive was not losing by 100 points (it became around 60)

Disappointing year to say the least

Not doom and gloom but this is the longest time we have not been in the finals since our shocking late 70s -> 80s period. It has been 6 years.

-----------

St.Kilda Forever!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

wolfpup wrote:General points:

McCartin and Goddard injured all year stifled their development and impacted our team
Played Suns, Lions and Blues once. Bit unlucky there since other teams in the 8 played them all twice.
Great run of 4 wins, smashed the tigers, i think we were sitting 5th and then 3 shocking losses of around 60 points with an APPALLING loss to the bombers (who played great) after 2 weeks of saints hype in the media
Membery suspension, poor timing
Dropping Bruce was stupid
Roo was slowing down :(
Loss to Power:(
Positive was defeating 2 x top 4 teams
Another positive was not losing by 100 points (it became around 60)

Disappointing year to say the least

Not doom and gloom but this is the longest time we have not been in the finals since our shocking late 70s -> 80s period. It has been 6 years.
A calm, balanced and realistic assessment there, wolfpup. The other positive, for mine, was the improvement in performances out of state. The worst performances were at Adelaide ( Crows) and Sydney the remaining four games saw the team's effort lifting.

Winmar
Club Player

If we'd had an easier draw we probably would have made finals and we'd all be happy this week. The Age assessed ours as being the 4th (?) most difficult prior to the season. That's not to say the season wasn't disappointing (it was), but the tough draw is a mitigating factor. Today at least I'm choosing to look on the bright side!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Winmar wrote:If we'd had an easier draw we probably would have made finals and we'd all be happy this week. The Age assessed ours as being the 4th (?) most difficult prior to the season. That's not to say the season wasn't disappointing (it was), but the tough draw is a mitigating factor. Today at least I'm choosing to look on the bright side!
Always look on the bright side of life (cue whistling) :lol: :lol: