We Need a Gun Up Forward

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SMS
Club Player

Re: We Need a Gun Up Forward

McCartin, Battle and H.Goddard.
Unfortunetly we have yet to see these players. But all 3 are future elite players. Relax give it time. 2019/2020 youll be loving all 3.

McCartin is training the house down. ALL these BS rumors about him fair dinkum such crap. Hopper to carton was it? Fyfe to Saints? Dusty leaving? about 1/100 rumors are true. 1% yet we all believe things straight away.

2018 will reveal all these things. This time next year we will know where we are at. Right now we need to support. It coud go either way. Very young squad who are about to all reach 50 games together. Some did this year but when the other half does the second half of next year things should start to click very nicely.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Taylor-Harris?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:Very young squad who are about to all reach 50 games together. Some did this year but when the other half does the second half of next year things should start to click very nicely.
My thoughts, too. I think we will surprise a few next season. There's going to be a different dynamic sans Rooey and Joey and many players will step up.

A good start to the season should see us playing finals this time next year. We are on track.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
SMS wrote:Very young squad who are about to all reach 50 games together. Some did this year but when the other half does the second half of next year things should start to click very nicely.
My thoughts, too. I think we will surprise a few next season. There's going to be a different dynamic sans Rooey and Joey and many players will step up.

A good start to the season should see us playing finals this time next year. We are on track.
Well I hope you are right. The problem is that in most games this year we did not actually field teams that were less experienced than our opponents.

In that last Tigers game we had 5 players under 50 games. The Tigers had 9. In the last round of the season two teams that we need to get in front of next year in the Pies and the Dees both played 9. Dons 8. Power 9.

When the Dons pummelled us, we both had 7 players with 50 games or less, but with players under 100 games we had 12 to their 15.

The Swans last game that had 9 players under 50, we had 6.

So the gaining of more games at around the 50 games mark is in itself hardly going to be a competitive advantage as many of our competitors have had more such players than we have had in our team.

We need Paddy and Freeman to both come good in our seniors just to get back to the having somewhat the same level of youth as our opponents. We are behind in playing youth, and are even more behind in playing quality youth.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Gershwin
Club Player

SMS wrote:McCartin, Battle and H.Goddard.
Unfortunetly we have yet to see these players. But all 3 are future elite players. Relax give it time. 2019/2020 youll be loving all 3.

McCartin is training the house down. ALL these BS rumors about him fair dinkum such crap. Hopper to carton was it? Fyfe to Saints? Dusty leaving? about 1/100 rumors are true. 1% yet we all believe things straight away.

2018 will reveal all these things. This time next year we will know where we are at. Right now we need to support. It coud go either way. Very young squad who are about to all reach 50 games together. Some did this year but when the other half does the second half of next year things should start to click very nicely.
No we are not a very young squad. We need to stop thinking that.
Our side for the first match 2018 could easily include Geary, Brown, Gilbert, Roberton, Carlisle, Savage, Armitage, Steven, Ross, Newnes, Bruce, Longer, Stevens, Webster and Weller and none of these players are young. They are the right age to perform at their best but they are not young.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:I wish we could f**K Paddy off and get someone who was an AFL standard player already :roll: :roll:
Didn't say that at all. Would be great if he comes good and answers our prayers up forward, because right now we've come off a season missing finals due to atrocious kicking for goal and not having a prominent focal point up forward. We need to amend our poor conversion rate and wasted opportunities inside 50m, END OF STORY.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:I wish we could f**K Paddy off and get someone who was an AFL standard player already :roll: :roll:
Didn't say that at all. Would be great if he comes good and answers our prayers up forward, because right now we've come off a season missing finals due to atrocious kicking for goal and not having a prominent focal point up forward. We need to amend our poor conversion rate and wasted opportunities inside 50m, END OF STORY.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

We were crazy not to grab James Stewart when he left GWS. Essendon got him for a pick in the 60-70 region ridiculous.

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote:We were crazy not to grab James Stewart when he left GWS. Essendon got him for a pick in the 60-70 region ridiculous.
Strike another one up to Elshyte. The dopers have completely done us over in the drafting stakes over the past few years. The numpty reigns.

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Meh… Stewart is just another third tall… the last thing we need are more middling list cloggers like him.

takeaway
Club Player

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:We were crazy not to grab James Stewart when he left GWS. Essendon got him for a pick in the 60-70 region ridiculous.
Strike another one up to Elshyte. The dopers have completely done us over in the drafting stakes over the past few years. The numpty reigns.

Can't get everyone. Dopers completely done us over in drafting last few years? At a loss where that statement come from.

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Check the facts. How's their number one pick going compared to ours. Rising star and has played as many senior games in one year as ours has in three. Want me to go on? I could, but your posts speak for themselves.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:Check the facts. How's their number one pick going compared to ours. Rising star and has played as many senior games in one year as ours has in three. Want me to go on? I could, but your posts speak for themselves.
To be fair last years draft was gold at the top, like 2013. We got our no. 1 pick in close to the worst draft in history. we could have drafted Petracca or Bradshaw and you could say exactly the same thing.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
takeaway
Club Player

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:Check the facts. How's their number one pick going compared to ours. Rising star and has played as many senior games in one year as ours has in three. Want me to go on? I could, but your posts speak for themselves.
We didn't have No. 1 pick last year. If we did we would have picked McGrath. Paddy is a big forward, was always going to take time, and was the right selection - his type is scarce & expensive to recruit. We did well with the Carlisle/Gresham trade compared to Essendon. Our recruiting since about 2013 has imo been better than most. Every club get hits and misses, you cold go through it forever. Thank you for saying my posts speak for themselves, I guess they do. Er, so do yours!

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote:
We didn't have No. 1 pick last year. If we did we would have picked McGrath. Paddy is a big forward, was always going to take time, and was the right selection - his type is scarce & expensive to recruit. We did well with the Carlisle/Gresham trade compared to Essendon. Our recruiting since about 2013 has imo been better than most. Every club get hits and misses, you cold go through it forever. Thank you for saying my posts speak for themselves, I guess they do. Er, so do yours!
The Dope Fiends should never have got McGrath anyway. The bloody AFL almost rewarded them for cheating. Absolute BS! :evil:

MelbWest

ace wrote:I thought we had a No 1 draft pick and used it on a gun forward.
That's what most posters here insist.

Maybe they will change their minds once he announces his retirement due to concussion issues.
You idiot. McCartin will smash it next year.

<warning for commenting on the poster in a demeaning and unnecessarily inflammatory manner>

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

MelbWest wrote:

Maybe they will change their minds once he announces his retirement due to concussion issues.
Welcome back colin

In red white and black from 73
MickThomas
Club Player

MelbWest wrote:

***citywest back in da house

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Well I hope you are right. The problem is that in most games this year we did not actually field teams that were less experienced than our opponents.

In that last Tigers game we had 5 players under 50 games. The Tigers had 9. In the last round of the season two teams that we need to get in front of next year in the Pies and the Dees both played 9. Dons 8. Power 9.

When the Dons pummelled us, we both had 7 players with 50 games or less, but with players under 100 games we had 12 to their .
Fair concerns.

Of our guys under 50 games, three of them I have very high hopes for, them being Gresham, Acres and Sinclair. I feel if things go right all three are potentially elite midfielders. Steele is another one who could be pretty handy ... just 37 games.

And there's Membrey, whose 50th game, amazingly, was against the Tigers in Round 23. Look out for him when he gets a bit of experience.

The guys who have played 50-80 games include Dunstan, Ross and Billings. They have just this season really started to come into their own.

The other thing is, with Joey and Rooey going, it completely changes the team dynamic. I feel this will be a real positive as it opens up a lot of opportunities for ambitious young players. We shall see, but I'm going into next season optimistically.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

I think you have nailed it big blonde fellow. Like you (?) I was caught unaware that Tim has only played 50 games - terrific upside there with more experience. I hope Steele can become less one sided, but other than that he does fit the bill - I have realised from this forum and then watching replays closely he does a lot of great work I had missed while in a state of high anxiety watching it live. I think your dynamic change comment is particularly insightful, and not just because I agree. Hopefully that dynamic change will help AR as well.

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

takeaway wrote:
Oh good grief. You always ignore the facts and play the man. Essendon finished above us. Again. McGrath, Parish, Laverde (whom Elshyte coveted) Francis, Fantasia, Merret, AMT etc. I could go on and humiliate you, but you do that to yourself. How's our mob going against that? Why don't you take away your ridiculous posts and not come back?

MickThomas
Club Player

takeaway wrote:
Oh good grief. You always ignore the facts and play the man. Essendon finished above us. Again. McGrath, Parish, Laverde (whom Elshyte coveted) Francis, Fantasia, Merret, AMT etc. I could go on and humiliate you, but you do that to yourself. How's our mob going against that? Why don't you take away your ridiculous posts and not come back?
I have "takeaway" once a week; any more would be bad for me. "Takeaway"...i might add her to my "foes" list

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

And takeaway typically is cheap, poor quality and leaves you dissatisfied after you've had it. An appropriate nickname, really.

takeaway
Club Player

MickThomas wrote:
takeaway wrote:
I have "takeaway" once a week; any more would be bad for me. "Takeaway"...i might add her to my "foes" list
Ah Ha. An Essendon supporter. I thought you would come out eventually. Somehow I don't feel humiliated. Keep trying though, but be careful not to reveal your true allegiances again. Our mob was a 5% improvement in goalkicking away from being 2 games ahead of your bombers.

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

takeaway wrote:
Watch out for parish, lavarde and Francis. absolute guns of the game and are better than any player st kilda has ever had

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think