We Need a Gun Up Forward

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: We Need a Gun Up Forward

I heard that Paddy won't do the required work and will not change the way he plays.

Unsure if it is untrue but it is concerning.

Geelong want Paddy badly apparently.

Perhaps Tony can clarify.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

The whole reason we took Paddy at pick #1 was so that we didn't have to pay ridiculous money to attract a full forward from another club further down the track.
Paddy just needs to play more - pure and simple. Lockett and Gehrig didn't meander around in the reserves. When they were fit they played in the seniors.
And now that we have retirements added to at least three delisitings (at this stage), guys like Paddy, Rice, White and Goddard need to be playing seniors every week. Paddy and Goddard especially need to get games into them.
At this stage, with the loss of talent and experience, it is hard for me to see us making a big impact in 2018.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
spert
Saintsational Legend

I'm thinking that Bruce is not as good as some believe- had a good season a couple of years back and has dropped right away in the areas you want a forward to do well in.

carn_sainter
Club Player

spert wrote:I'm thinking that Bruce is not as good as some believe- had a good season a couple of years back and has dropped right away in the areas you want a forward to do well in.
I disagree. He may not do as well as some people think he should do as a forward, but for our team, he does his role really, really well. He plays just like the coach wants him to. Even when he got dropped it was for touch, not for how he was doing his role.

He, Carlisle and Gilbert are now our three most important players structurally (not most important for team performance, but for structure) and Bruce's commitment is beyond question. I think he is unfairly criticised on here, almost always outside of the context of his role in the team.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:I heard that Paddy won't do the required work.
On this first point. I severely doubt this claim.

My understanding is that his diabetes is proving harder to manage than than anticipated and so his fitness etc gain has been slower than they hoped, but that he is still improving.

On your second point. I agree from that last interview he has not yet mentally adjust as to how he needs to play. What he was getting away with against boys is coming a cropper against the bigger bodies in the AFL.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
SaintPav wrote:I heard that Paddy won't do the required work.
On this first point. I severely doubt this claim.

My understanding is that his diabetes is proving harder to manage than than anticipated and so his fitness etc gain has been slower than they hoped, but that he is still improving.

On your second point. I agree from that last interview he has not yet mentally adjust as to how he needs to play. What he was getting away with against boys is coming a cropper against the bigger bodies in the AFL.
You could be right and while I had an open mind, I didn't necessarily believe it.

I still have high hopes for Paddy but he should never have gone no 1 given the risk involved.

This is confusing given that we went relatively conservative on a third round pick by overlooking Caleb Daniel because he was probably considered too small.

Their reasoning is inconsistent and concerning.
Last edited by SaintPav on Fri 01 Sep 2017 11:48am, edited 1 time in total.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Josh Battle might come on really quickly with a full pre-season under his belt now that school has finished. If he has a belting pre-season just put him in the seniors and leave him there.
At this stage, McCartin can't even put 4 games of footy together at ANY level.. Hope it works out for him but I've pretty much put him with N.Freeman... if they both come on and play for St.Kilda... excellent!!! But, I've essentially already moved on as to whether they'll ever play a lot of senior footy or not.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Just give Paddy a good three years. Its worth the risk and wait after using pick 1.

Seriously...you only need to look at Steven, Armitage, Ross (prime example!) and even Billings and Dustan as recent examples. Sure there are others. It can take a player a good 4 to 7 years to come good and reliable. If "some" Saints fans have had their way none of these players wouldn't even be on the list anymore. There were people calling for Dustan, Arces and Billings heads at the start of the year on here and calling their recruitment the worst in our history. Fairdinkum and they all turned it around this year. 2018 will become even bigger for them.

A lack of patience is one of mankind's worst attributes and it can be applied to list management.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:Just give Paddy a good three years. Its worth the risk and wait after using pick 1.
We've already given him three years.

22 games and 22 goals isn't a hell of a lot of progress. He has spent 2/3 of that period either playing with Sandy or injured. This is real reason for concern.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:Just give Paddy a good three years. Its worth the risk and wait after using pick 1.
We've already given him three years.

22 games and 22 goals isn't a hell of a lot of progress. He has spent 2/3 of that period either playing with Sandy or injured. This is real reason for concern.

Would have been great if he played 50 games and kicked 50. His concussion and injuries aren't great but he should be given another 2-3 years still. See what happens by then and the club can make a call. It make take 3 more before he cracks the big time.

Paddy loves footy and wants to play. He trains hard and wants to make something of it for the Saints. It just hasn't worked out yet for various reasons.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
older saint
SS Life Member

Interesting stat when we played 3 forwards in Roo, Bruce and member i believe we won 8 of 11 , without those 3 we won 3 of 11 .

The structure next season of Paddy instead of Roo needs to be done . Look at Adelaide - Walker, Jenkins, Lynch .

We need a GUN Mid more than a Gun forward IMO

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Rowan Marshall, please report the the forward line.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Tony74. Can we hear you?

Tony. I can hear you from afar...

Cos I can see you...

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

We need an AFL forward line, anything less, we won't make finals.
:shock: :shock: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
supersaints
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:I heard that Paddy won't do the required work and will not change the way he plays.

RU serious? That's a complete contradiction in one sentence So we have a full forward (the usual
Knocker posters think is useless,) ...he doesn't want to do the required training, ...he's not interested in changing his game style , yet Gellong want him badly... Sorry I can't see any sesnse whatsoever in your claims...

Would your u like to explain your logic ???? Or if it's correct Geelongs bizzare desire??

Don't think Tony would bother answering something so absurd, that is ridiculous , but then again him answering is probably just as bizarre

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I wish we could f**K Paddy off and get someone who was an AFL standard player already :roll: :roll:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:
SaintPav wrote:I heard that Paddy won't do the required work and will not change the way he plays.

RU serious? That's a complete contradiction in one sentence So we have a full forward (the usual
Knocker posters think is useless,) ...he doesn't want to do the required training, ...he's not interested in changing his game style , yet Gellong want him badly... Sorry I can't see any sesnse whatsoever in your claims...

Would your u like to explain your logic ???? Or if it's correct Geelongs bizzare desire??

Don't think Tony would bother answering something so absurd, that is ridiculous , but then again him answering is probably just as bizarre
Tony will give his usual sales pitch to feed the dumbest most gullible people here.

The players are all working hard. Just give them time. They will all be AA. They are all elite players and athletes and NASA are amazed at their training results. I cant say anything yet but lets just say that some current Saints listed players will be offered contracts on NASA's elite intergalactic training program to explore new galaxies. That is how fit they are.

The coaches are all geniuses. Just give them time and they will all revolutionise world sports. Oxford University is making them job offers but they are all 100% committed to the Saints.

Thanks for coming along to training. I can assure you each of the players will come and cook you dinner and give you a blow job next week.

Go Saints.

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

But Elshyte assured us Paddy's diabetes wouldn't be a problem. And he would know, because he's an expert in the field of................well, nothing.

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
MickThomas
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
supersaints wrote:

Tony will give his usual sales pitch to feed the dumbest most gullible people here.

The players are all working hard. Just give them time. They will all be AA. They are all elite players and athletes and NASA are amazed at their training results. I cant say anything yet but lets just say that some current Saints listed players will be offered contracts on NASA's elite intergalactic training program to explore new galaxies. That is how fit they are.

The coaches are all geniuses. Just give them time and they will all revolutionise world sports. Oxford University is making them job offers but they are all 100% committed to the Saints.

Thanks for coming along to training. I can assure you each of the players will come and cook you dinner and give you a blow job next week.

Go Saints.
You forgot:
"Mav gets a lot of bad press.
You need to understand he is the best blocker on the planet.
NASA is currently tracking over 300 NEO asteroids (Near Earth Objects) that could potentially pass close to Earth, and Mav is on 24hr alert so he can block any asteroid that comes within the Roche Limit (the minimum distance from the Earth for capture by gravity)
Mav will save us..."
Last edited by MickThomas on Sat 02 Sep 2017 5:43am, edited 2 times in total.

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
MickThomas
Club Player

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:But Elshyte assured us Paddy's diabetes wouldn't be a problem. And he would know, because he's an expert in the field of................well, nothing.
Elshaug drives with an empty petrol tank.
Why? Because despite the low-fuel warning light, he believes that his car can run on fumes only, so strong is his self belief.
Just willing his car to operate is enough.
The power of positive thinking, y'all

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:But Elshyte assured us Paddy's diabetes wouldn't be a problem. And he would know, because he's an expert in the field of................well, nothing.

Relax
TonyE has a Phd in Psychology.
Him and Tony74 have read The Secret. Tony and Tony. Two dudes. Two souls. Two bodies. Two brothers. One Brain. Think about it.
Ok ok. They read the first chapter. No point going further, They got the gist. All the worlds problems solved. Positive thinking.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Paddy is a gun. He has not missed a match through diabetes but he has missed because Nick was first choice CHF. I wonder if his injury problems had been a chronic hammy or broken ankle rather than a bruised brain there would be more understanding. The treatment for repeated concussions is apparently long rest which the club has given him, and as we should expect. "Oh, your broken leg is nearly mended, out you go" - I don't think so. Injuries are obviously an inherent risk and need to be managed well to get players going long term and to be a club of choice. Paddy and Hugh are being given every opportunity to get on the paddock and each promise a lot, so lets hope the worse of the injury run is over. With picks 7 & 8 Saints will get two quick strong bodied mids - if not directly then by trade. Once the list is in a position not to have to play Mav, may his good form return, we will be v. competitive. Also in the support cast mix are Long, White, O'Kearney, Battle and Marshall. Sydney went 0 for 6 when it had injury problems early on - injuries are season killers difficult to control.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

MickThomas wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
supersaints wrote:

Go Saints.
You forgot:
"Mav gets a lot of bad press.
You need to understand he is the best blocker on the planet.
NASA is currently tracking over 300 NEO asteroids (Near Earth Objects) that could potentially pass close to Earth, and Mav is on 24hr alert so he can block any asteroid that comes within the Roche Limit (the minimum distance from the Earth for capture by gravity)
Mav will save us..."
In Mav we trust!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

if mccartin doesn,t xome on next yeR we can probably kiss finals goodbye. perhaps a massive play for lynch would be an idea? even if paddy comes on lynch would be our strongest forward. make a play for him and one very good pacy mid.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:

Can you read? Because apart from not bothering to demonstrate basic courtesy and speaking for Tony74, which is presumptuous and the height of extreme arrogance, it looks like you can't even string a simple sentence together.

I was reporting what someone told me. I also said later, that because it was only hearsay, I didn't necessarily believe it to be true.

Geelong's interest is a separate point. Cats need a replacement for Hawkins at some stage which is driving the interest. Again, unsure if it's true but he is a local boy and is obviously strongly connected down there. Also he is connected to Brownless family which most know.

I also heard that Paddy was desperately wanting to play the last few weeks. I think this is all well known.

This is about as much as I need or want to explain because I wanted to show you the basic courtesy, but frankly, in reality you should know this: I could not give a stuff what you think. Capish!