Joey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MickThomas
Club Player

Re: Joey

He leaves a huge gap to fill-
into which Brandon White should step in very nicely indeed.
I hope Rice doesn't hit the Shane Warne diet in the off-season like last year

We need his skill and composure, he is certainly part of the future.
Anyone thinking Joey might hand over the #11 to Brandon?

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

MickThomas wrote:He leaves a huge gap to fill-

I know just about as much as everyone else but does White have an attitude problem? Why did he only play a couple of games?
There has to be something more to it. In any case, lets just hope the young fella has a big pre-season and slots into a HB role. He has all the tools to be damaging.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
MickThomas
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote:
MickThomas wrote:He leaves a huge gap to fill-

I know just about as much as everyone else but does White have an attitude problem? Why did he only play a couple of games?
There has to be something more to it. In any case, lets just hope the young fella has a big pre-season and slots into a HB role. He has all the tools to be damaging.
My theory is that we have JWeb, Joey, and Savage, and a couple of games for DMack...
I suspect White might have an attitude problem or game plan issues?
combined with not being able to displace #5, #11 and #29

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
saintbob
SS Life Member

Thanks Joey

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

his love and affection for his team mates was always obvious obvious- he was the hugger in the team videos

here is his farewell to team mates
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/video/id-53 ... -chokes-up

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
dragit
Saintsational Legend

A better player and bloke than has been made out on here a lot of the time.

Great career, will miss watching him play.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Met him in his draft year
Sat on a table with him middle of Telstra Dome as it was...
Looked at this skinny, little kid and thought "WTF he'll need 18 years to hit puberty...." Still liked the cut of his jib then - even more so now.
Didn't think I was sitting with the 7th most capped player in the clubs history
Who knew?
Well done Joey - class.

“Yeah….nah””
Spud
Club Player
Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

Great clubman and a potent player in his prime, best of luck for your future Joey!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Club champ. No doubts. Great career. Will go in to a media job for sure.

Very resilient. Could have easily gone on and is in good physical shape. A smart player who kept himself in pristine nick.

Just really the current state of the list meant he had to go. Not his fault.

If we're top 4 or bottom 4 - then he stays on another year.

He would be good enough to play in a top side and if we were bottom wed keep him on for leadership.
But we are in the middle zone which makes him semi pointless in our list strategy. Just one of those things.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 31 Aug 2017 11:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Terrific and under rated player.
Was actually a good tackler and would win his own ball despite what Brereton might say.
My lasting image of Monty is running down the wing into the the 50 and slotting a goal from 45M out on a tight angle. He did this so often, and very often it was the crucial goal to swing momentum or ice a game.
One of my favourites and could easily have had another year. Good luck Joey.

Nee!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Well done Leigh 'Joey' Montagna!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:Terrific and under rated player.
Was actually a good tackler and would win his own ball despite what Brereton might say.
My lasting image of Monty is running down the wing into the the 50 and slotting a goal from 45M out on a tight angle. He did this so often, and very often it was the crucial goal to swing momentum or ice a game.
Strangely I recall a game in 09 against the blues. They were up and about and fancied themselves against us that night. There was close to 50k in on a Friday night at Etihad and most were blues fans (their home game) The Blues were pressing hard and their crowd was roaring. I recall Joey doing EXACTLY as you said, running down the wing and slotting a beautiful goal from 45m to stop the momentum. I recall standing in my aisle and just roaring on my own - there weren't many sainters around so I was a lone voice it felt like. I couldn't give a s*** though.

Gee I enjoyed that season. We seemed unstoppable and nobody could beat us even when they threw the kitchen sink at us. Joey was integral to that group of brilliant mids we had - Dal, Lenny, BJ, Impossible to tag one without the others bobbing up.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Met him in his draft year
Sat on a table with him middle of Telstra Dome as it was...
Looked at this skinny, little kid and thought "WTF he'll need 18 years to hit puberty...." Still liked the cut of his jib then - even more so now.
Didn't think I was sitting with the 7th most capped player in the clubs history
Who knew?
Well done Joey - class.
I can relate to that description Teflon. It was the year of the 'rape accusations' with Milney. Because our reserves team (Casey?) had a bye GT brought all the players on the Saints list over to Perth to experience being part of a travelling team to experience the Subiaco ground fortress.
At the Western Saints function there was a Saints player at each table. I sat opposite Joey. He looked no more that 15-16 years. Was very small in stature. He had a baseball cap on that he never took off for the whole function. He looked down at the table most of the day. He wasn't confident enough to hold eye contact when people on the table asked him questions, and his answers were very monosyllabic. He spoke into the table top, than to the group.
When, all the players were invited up on the stage. Joey remained seated. He didn't have the confidence to walk up to the stage. It was Kosi (who wasn't playing due to injury) came back down and frogmarched him up onto the stage. I can remember thinking at the time, he looked as if he had hardly reached puberty, let alone be in sexual frolics with Milney and a couple of girls. Maybe it was the whole public expose of that night, that caused Joey to be a bit embarrassed infront of the supporters.

My sister & I were discussing Joey yesterday when told of his retirement. It's quite unbelievable how that shy, little lad, with zilch confidence and absolutely no speaking skills that sat on our table, opposite me and next to my sister, had blossomed into the articulate, confident, intelligent gentleman he is today. He's the male version of Pygmalion!
Last edited by loris on Fri 01 Sep 2017 12:03am, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
Strangely I recall a game in 09 against the blues. They were up and about and fancied themselves against us that night. There was close to 50k in on a Friday night at Etihad and most were blues fans (their home game) The Blues were pressing hard and their crowd was roaring. I recall Joey doing EXACTLY as you said, running down the wing and slotting a beautiful goal from 45m to stop the momentum. I recall standing in my aisle and just roaring on my own - there weren't many sainters around so I was a lone voice it felt like. I couldn't give a s*** though.

Gee I enjoyed that season. We seemed unstoppable and nobody could beat us even when they threw the kitchen sink at us. Joey was integral to that group of brilliant mids we had - Dal, Lenny, BJ, Impossible to tag one without the others bobbing up.
Apart from the end everyone enjoyed 09
Going to games and hearing opposition fans saying "we won't beat St Kilda..." we dominated like never before
Was GT our coach I can never remember..

“Yeah….nah””
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

saintbrat wrote:his love and affection for his team mates was always obvious obvious- he was the hugger in the team videos

here is his farewell to team mates
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/video/id-53 ... -chokes-up
At least that video came with a warning. I'm out of tissue boxes.

Joey seemed to be on the outer when Richo started; when JB was drafted I think he was out of contract, with no idea if he was in or out. But he still called JB that night on club video and did the right thing.

I'm so glad he stayed, forged a good relationship with Richo and finished out his playing career with us. You can't possibly doubt his loyalty and commitment to our club after watching that scene in the club rooms.

A true Saints champ.

#ThanksJoey.

Always loyal
George27
Club Player

That indeed is the abiding memory of Joey. Those kicks always seemed to be on the wrong side for him, with his right foot up against the boundary line, but he always seemed to slot them.

I go back a long way, but he is comfortably in my team of the best Saints players I have ever seen.

Thank you Leigh for your fabulous contribution to our club.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

The whole speech

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
shrodes
SS Life Member

magnifisaint wrote:The whole speech

Great stuff. For all the doom and gloom on here, to me he seemed sincere and positive about Richo and the youngsters coming through that we're headed in the right direction. Well done Joey.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Interesting that he picked out Gresh and JB as two who'll become "stars".

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:The whole speech

Try watching that without a dry eye.

Great to see - not sure why AFL360 couldn't be arsed showing it all the other day

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.