Our Report Card Is In And We Got An F

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our Report Card Is In And We Got An F

Well in any rating, you first have to know what exactly you are rating. Also does the draft get included for the season after the draft, or for the season before the draft.

If you are rating the season as a stand alone assessment of this season's performance, then it is clearly a C as we were demonstrably an average team.

However if you were rating this season in terms of what we did to help become a Top 4 team then it was a D or worse.
- remember that we gained Carlisle the season prior.. so even though this was his first year of playing the step to get him was the season earlier
- gameplan wise we went backwards. Opposition coaches worked out how to overcome our tactics, but we did not with theirs.
- players that were developed did not outweigh those that improved. Many like Pierce just disappeared.
- elite and very good player wise we went backwards
- our recruiters remain based on value of the players picked relative to the picks used not as good as the competitions best (we are better traders than draft pickers)
- no progress on our goal kicking accuracy or fieldkicking!

On the pro side the deal with the Hawks delivered in theory more value, though the main part of that will not be know till last season. Countering this somewhat is that we used our 2018 second pick to get Steele.

Overall our ability to become a top 4 team seems to be very reliant on what we do not yet have: Paddy not getting concussed, Freeman blitzing it in the seniors and gaining a Kelly, Martin or Whifield, players that can kick accurately at goal .

On that last point I think both Gresham and Billings will improve. But again that is not a certainty.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
oldie60
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote:I'm not disappointed. Compare this year's draw against last year (an easy run home in 2016) and our injury list this year against last year - no, not disappointed. Yes, we have plenty of room for improvement, much of which has been identified and acknowledged.

I am stumping up for my 2018 membership with anticipation.
Well said, i can recall an interview with Richo before the start of the season where he stated that there was a possibility we could lose more games than we won simply because of the draw.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

An F is total bulls***. You surely over rate this list. They finished where they should have.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:I give the Saints a C and 6/10 this season.
As the doctors say, "I concur". A disappointing year on the whole, especially the last seven games, where we had our chances and flopped badly.
Went to most matches this year and I also concur.

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

oldie60 wrote:
Trev from the Bush wrote:I'm not disappointed. Compare this year's draw against last year (an easy run home in 2016) and our injury list this year against last year - no, not disappointed. Yes, we have plenty of room for improvement, much of which has been identified and acknowledged.

I am stumping up for my 2018 membership with anticipation.
Well said, i can recall an interview with Richo before the start of the season where he stated that there was a possibility we could lose more games than we won simply because of the draw.
Of course Mr. Mediocrity would say that. What sort of a defeatist statement is that? He has fooled us all. Four years of nothing. Remember, this is the bloke who was overlooked eleven times for a senior job, including by us. We overlooked him for Scott Waterss, FFS! He is the guy we could afford, rather than the one we needed. I'm sick of his BS, spoken out of the side of his mouth. He's not taking us anywhere. Cliche after cliche, a so called game plan that has seen us constantly thrashed in important games, an average losing margin that is the third worst in the league. And they're going to give him an extension! The mediocracy at St.Kilda rules. He is the poster child for our lack of success and love of mediocrity. Wake up, sainters. We have complete and utter numpty rejects in charge. Richardson, Elshaug, Cox( what does he actually do?) the recently sacked fitness staff. The club is a joke, run by mediocre fools.

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?