Newnes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

Newnes

There has been slot of talk about players for my backwards this season, but for me, Newnes is the only one to have completely dropped off. After last year he was very promising putting in one or two best on ground performances and playing consistently, but this year, he looks so far off that form and I forgot he was even playing yesterday

He will need to step up next year in order to keep his spot next year

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: Newnes

Agree. I wonder if that early head knock he got (Sydney?) got to him a bit.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Newnes has never been a spectacular or exciting player but at least you could say that he was steadily improving every season. This year he stagnated and went backwards in some ways. The fact that one of our wingers has played 100+ games without registering a brownlow vote is a concern. You can accept that from a third tall defender/backup ruck (ie Jason Blake) but not from one of the prime movers of your starting 18.

I wouldn't be against us floating his name in trade week. I don't see Newnes ever being a player that opposition teams worry about. In Sinclair and Acres I think we already have two better wingmen.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

He is a one paced player (slow) with average skills, one sided, has a long kick and a large turning circle. He is more suited to the backline but has difficulty taking a contested mark. Like others, I had high hopes for him. Alas, as a 7 year player, his time is running out. We can't get rid of a dozen dud players in one year, so he will be there next year.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Headless chook!
Like Raph and Zac I cringe every time ball is in his hands or his general vicinity.
Don't think he would get a game at too many contending clubs.

one point
Club Player

Rarely seems to hit a target and often has difficulty in lowering his vision. Usually just bombs away

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Don't agree. He's had a so-so season but, assuming he picks up and progresses again next year, I see him becoming a safe pair of hands/decision-maker in the Dempster mould.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I rate him.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote:Don't agree. He's had a so-so season but, assuming he picks up and progresses again next year, I see him becoming a safe pair of hands/decision-maker in the Dempster mould.
Just 7 cm shorter and without the marking ability.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:I rate him.
So do I but the reality is he had a poor season.
Cause for concern.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Cause for concern.
Plenty of other talented players of ours in the same boat this year. I suspect it may have been a case of them drinking their own bath water after last year.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
MickThomas
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Cause for concern.
Plenty of other talented players of ours in the same boat this year. I suspect it may have been a case of them drinking their own bath water after last year.
A public statement of "we have had a successful season" in my opinion, indicates he thinks his performance is good enough
and the club is doing just fine.
:shock: :evil:

Is he thinking of the Giants and Hawks games, and the Tigers game 7 weeks ago?
"Let's hang our hats on those 3 wins, we did well,we're really happy" type of attitude?

Is he falling into the trap of (well before his time) in the bad old days, when a win at Moorabbin was celebrated like a finals win
because the wooden spoon was a permanent trophy?

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
To the top
SS Life Member

The bigger picture is that ALL sides can cut open our Zone and score easily (and again yesterday including because we gifted possession to our opponent including by kicking behinds) - and we need to look at the reasons and the remedy.

It is a serious problem St Kilda have.

Is it that our Zone tactic just does not work?

Or is it that our Zone players and role players are not capable?

That is where Newnes comes in.

I actually rate his field kicking which has length and accuracy.

But, again to me, he lacks pace so can be exposed going both ways and he lacks an overhead ability including to spoil so is found out as a defender.

That leaves playing on a wing lining up on the side of the centre square - and by extension that exposes his lack of pace.

That lack of pace is also exposed in general play - including particularly defensively.

There is also the fact that such as Dunstan, Ross, Steele and Stevens can not break lines with pace - or close down defensively with pace so can we play them all?

Add Newnes to that equation.

Stevens ball handling is not clean, and probably the reason he is at a 3rd Club.

So he is another under pressure in my view.

Our small/medium defenders, to me, are a real problem including Geary and Webster and we need to improve this area significantly if we are to progress.

There was a reason Montagna was played as a small defender - and that reason is still most obvious.

That is why White not being given more opportunity surprised me - looking on from the outside.

And it goes without saying that we can not just rely on Steven for pace - which we currently do because only Billings and Acres can cover ground quickly if not blocked.

Gresham is not quick, so all the hype re a transitioning mid I do not buy.

Gresham can evade, not run away from or close down straight line defensive plays.

Mc Kenzie to me is not up to the standard, which made the absence of White more surprising.

And, to return to subject, Newnes is not an answer as a small/medium defender because of a lack of pace and a lack of overhead impact, including spoiling.

So where to for Newnes?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

one point wrote:Rarely seems to hit a target and often has difficulty in lowering his vision. Usually just bombs away
Agreed.

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Endorsed by Scott Watters. Say no more.

I endorse our whole list and all the coaches.

Winning

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
spiral3
Club Player

frustrating player, can be fantastic with hardness and excellent kicking
more often this year he chose poor options or no options and just bombed away, which is rarely effective in the present game

not sure if he can improve on this, he has plenty of experience
may be one that has to be pushed out of the team in order for us to improve
we need link players that make excellent decisions more often than not

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

spiral3 wrote:frustrating player, can be fantastic with hardness and excellent kicking
more often this year he chose poor options or no options and just bombed away, which is rarely effective in the present game

Is that under game plan or just him?

“Yeah….nah””
spiral3
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
spiral3 wrote:frustrating player, can be fantastic with hardness and excellent kicking

Is that under game plan or just him?
I doubt that he is instructed to turn the ball over or to kick to an outnumber situation

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

5th in disposals this year at the Saints at an avg of 23. He's a good leader, well respected and has barely missed a game since he got his first one. I believe that says alot about a players mental toughness and professionalism. Also provides excellent depth. A player that has clearly got the most out of himself. Is a very required player and role model.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Has played every single game for the past 4 years!!

If you take a look at his stats this year he has racked up some big numbers in a few games.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Newnes has never been a spectacular or exciting player but at least you could say that he was steadily improving every season. This year he stagnated and went backwards in some ways. The fact that one of our wingers has played 100+ games without registering a brownlow vote is a concern. You can accept that from a third tall defender/backup ruck (ie Jason Blake) but not from one of the prime movers of your starting 18.

I wouldn't be against us floating his name in trade week. I don't see Newnes ever being a player that opposition teams worry about. In Sinclair and Acres I think we already have two better wingmen.

This is a great post. That Brownlow stat has had me worried too. Just not damaging another in games...

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

parkeysainter wrote:5th in disposals this year at the Saints at an avg of 23. He's a good leader, well respected and has barely missed a game since he got his first one. I believe that says alot about a players mental toughness and professionalism. Also provides excellent depth. A player that has clearly got the most out of himself. Is a very required player and role model.
I agree.

parkeysainter wrote:Has played every single game for the past 4 years!! If you take a look at his stats this year he has racked up some big numbers in a few games.
I agree.

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Cause for concern.
I also rate him.

After a bit of a slow start, I don't think he had a bad year. His main weakness is that he isn't flashy... and I'm not sure that's a weakness.

But for those who share Con's concerns, I think that you may find there are some issues with the dreaded O Pubis .

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
carn_sainter
Club Player

Newnes runs hard.
Is a brilliant tackler, for both technique and intensity.
More or less never gives questionable effort.
Has a long boot that could open up the play better if we were better set-up in front of the ball.

He often makes poor decisions with his handballs, too many are too short and/or to a player who is not in a better position than he is.
He often wastes the ball with his long boot by just banging it in long and deep to a 10-man contest. If he lowered his eyes and spotted up like Sinclair and Gresham do it would be better.

He is basically never lazy, arrogant or overestimating his own abilities. There is a lot to like about Newnes. I think in many ways he is a victim of the way we play, which does not give him the opportunity to use his long kick to advantage, especially around the half back line. He really could be like Gram was, running hard off half back and attacking long down the middle to a single player's advantage.

But we don't play like that. We play way too many handballs, way too wide, never use the corridor and only ever use long, aggressive kicking from 60-70 out to the hot spot where, because we took way to long coursing the boundary line to get there, is a 10-man contest.

Having said all of that, there is plenty to like about Newnes. He plays his role in the side, consistent, reliable, durable. You need guys like him.

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Trade bait.

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Would have been good in the Lyon years as one of the supposed "bottom 6".

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.