Seasons positives

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Seasons positives

So what positives do you choose to take from the season?
For me it's
A better percentage than last year with a tougher draw and with less input from Roo, Steven and Armo
Interstate wins
Billings becoming elite, along with only Dangerfield, Martin, Zorko and Dayne Beams averaged over 1 goal a game and over 20 disposals. Billings also kicked more goals and had more disposals than Bontempelli (time to give recruiters a break)
Gresham, Acres, Ross, Sinclair, Steele, Longer, Webster all improved
Carlisle was really good and Brown good enough
Hawthorns pick turned out to be great
Your turn

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Seasons positives

Gresham's second year blues ended today.
Dunstan well on the way to being our best mid
Ross lifted himself this year close to A grade
Carlisle going to be very very good for us
Billings is an A grader with a C grade shot - next year he'll fix that
Longer is better than most of us realised
I expect Acres, Sinclair, Steele all to improve a fair bit more.
Roberton very good already, will get better.
McCartin can only improve?
Freeman looks like he is over the worst of it and almost ready for seniors footy

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Membrey's second half of the year showed that 2016 was no fluke. He copped a lot more attention this year as well. Recovered his kicking accuracy as well. White again showed glimpses of his enormous potential. Why did he not play more? Hopefully he returns to preseason in better shape this time. He's exactly what we need.

Freeman playing good, consistent footy at Sandy, slowly but surely improving and showing the footy world what we saw in him. The ankle injury was a bummer, but I believe he's ready to go, given another solid preseason. This time last year, I think many were ready to give up on him. He looked very ordinary. This year he was close to senior selection.

Rowan Marshall also caused excitement. Saw him a couple of times at Sandy and he appears to have the elusive "it". He just knows how to get where the ball is going. Strong mark, reliable kick and mobile for his size. I thought his debut was solid enough to earn him a couple more senior games. He needs opportunities. Look how much Billy has come on just by playing consistently.

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
George27
Club Player

Goose is king wrote:So what positives do you choose to take from the season?
For me it's
A better percentage than last year with a tougher draw and with less input from Roo, Steven and Armo
Interstate wins
Billings becoming elite, along with only Dangerfield, Martin, Zorko and Dayne Beams averaged over 1 goal a game and over 20 disposals. Billings also kicked more goals and had more disposals than Bontempelli (time to give recruiters a break)
Gresham, Acres, Ross, Sinclair, Steele, Longer, Webster all improved
Carlisle was really good and Brown good enough
Hawthorns pick turned out to be great
Your turn

Good post, Goose. I think you are on the mark. I would put Sinclair on the top of the list. Elevated rookie last year, and started the season back in the pack with a bunch of other small forwards. Now an automatic selection, and one of our best ball users.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

saw this earlier

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I forgot Dunstans second half to the season which was excellent

dals_da_bomb
Club Player

We hit a new membership record.
Ive really enjoyed the marketing/presence of the club.

2017 has finished so we can get on with 2018-2020 when they told us will will be 'on' and im ready for that!

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Even though we lost half of our last six games we saw improvement in our most of our young mids - hopefully going to continue.
Here's DT scores (yes, yes, i know) over the season and over the last 6 (koby not included as got injured in one and missed another). put Longer in as well :)
Dream Team Averages
ross 102. last 6 - 98.3
billings 94.6. last 6 - 106.5
steven 93.8. last 6 - 77.7
steele 92.8, last 6 - 99.3
newnes 88.1. last 6 - 81
dunstan 87.6 last 6 - 109
sinclair 78.7. last 6 - 82.8
longer 78.4. last 6 - 87
acres 77.9. last 6 - 80.3

so dunstan, billings, and steele our best players at the end of the season (alongside carlisle), and gresh also got better at the end. generally youngsters fall away - so it indicates these guys will go on with it next year.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
older saint
SS Life Member

Positives from 2017:

Sinclair - went from Fringe/VFL player to most improved player on our list . Has the penny dropped and can he keep improving for 2018
Dunstan/Savage - Both were struggling but went back to VFL, had to work hardtop get back in and since then have been in best every week. Seem to have been given confidence form a clear message and instructions on what to work on
Billings - First proper pre season without injury. Showed class ( except for goal kicking) and strong overhead for size. Fingers crossed could become an A grader
Longer - Never thought I would say this but really Improved and being young (for a ruck) provides a good upside for the future
Steele, Stevens, Brown - Good recruits who contributed and provided grunt. Steele especially considering the limited number of games he has player - first full season of AFL
Acres - Really like what he brings, even yesterday I thought he was part of the reason we started to get going. Build up a tank and play through the midfield more in 2018
Ross - Slowed towards the end but moved to be a top 50 player in the league. Think he has a ceiling but hopefully can stay in that top 20-30 bracket for his career
Carlisle - Played a season of AFL now. Was really strong in second half of the season and will only be better
Roberton - allowed to play natural position thanks to Jake and Browny, Was poor yesterday but AA top 40 says enough about his season.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:saw this earlier

Yeah that is a positive.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....