What do we do with picks 7 & 8. Nearest the pin.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

What do we do with picks 7 & 8. Nearest the pin.

Now that the order is settled, we've ended with picks seven and eight. A very strong position to be in, for a draft that may make or break our immediate future. So what do we do? Trade them or take the best talent available? What are your predictions? Nearest the pin gets a coconut from fugazi as first prize. Here goes.

Elshaug picks a kid at number 7, who has a debilitating, chronic disease, as the boy has got tons of character and is a gutsy fighter who can overcome the odds. Trout tells us not to worry about the prognosis because the experts (Dr. Google and assoc.) have reassured him that the condition won't affect him in any way.

Number 8 goes on a trans kid in line with the club's progressive social policies, demonstrating how inclusive we are as an organisation. The kid transitions before the 2018 season and becomes a star, becoming ithe first woman to play in the men's AFL. The Rising Star and Australian of the Year awards soon follow. The player then walks out of the club, declaring her intention to play in the AFLW, as we are granted a license for 2019. She becomes a dominant champion in that competition for St.Kilda, winning multiple MVP's and premierships, but never plays in the men's team again. Things are never straight forward at the saints.

I think we should trade both picks in a bundle with a couple of players, for Kelly, and one of Whitfield or Hopper. We need some certainty. At least with the latter option, we get some of that, not to mention some exciting players who still have improvement in them. All three mentioned are potentially 10 year players. Webster to be the unfortunate casualty. Club will try to palm Lonie and Weller off, without success.

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: What do we do with picks 7 & 8. Nearest the pin.

About right. Par for thecourse.

St Loxton
Club Player

Very amusing OP.

I feel we need 2 established and talented players on our list next year. Kelly and Whitfield or Rockliffe.
We can get through next season with Brown at FB.

If we go to the draft with our 2 picks in the top 10

we will pick, Jarrod Brander and Jaiden Stephenson. Thats my nearest to the pin.

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Those would be great gets, St. Loxton. I'd actually take that if it was guaranteed.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

St Loxton wrote:Very amusing OP.

I feel we need 2 established and talented players on our list next year. Kelly and Whitfield or Rockliffe.

we will pick, Jarrod Brander and Jaiden Stephenson. Thats my nearest to the pin.
I agree with Brander as a back but why do you think we would want Stephenson for? He is a forward and we need an outside mid more than a forward?

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

We should go for someone who is fat, 4 feet tall, has no hands and one leg - you know - continue the tradition.

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Stephenson is quick and agile, DJH. Dare I say it, a little "Bont -like". Has the ability to make things happen. He's be a good outside runner who can finish well. Think Will Hoskin Elliott, who would've been a very handy pick up for us, had the filth not courted him so strongly. I'd be very happy to get him.

The_President
Club Player

Next years draft is meant to be absolutely stacked.

If we can't land Kelly, we may gamble with one of the first rounders and trade it to Carlton/Gold Voast for their first rounder next year

St Loxton
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote:
St Loxton wrote:Very amusing OP.

I agree with Brander as a back but why do you think we would want Stephenson for? He is a forward and we need an outside mid more than a forward?
Cal Twomey's review of Stephenson lists him at 189 cm, has played a lot of midfield, gets clearances, also kicks goals. Seems a good height for a mid.
Had 39 disposals, 5 clearances and 5 tackles in a game in early August.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:Stephenson is quick and agile, DJH. Dare I say it, a little "Bont -like". Has the ability to make things happen. He's be a good outside runner who can finish well. Think Will Hoskin Elliott, who would've been a very handy pick up for us, had the filth not courted him so strongly. I'd be very happy to get him.
My very limited research has him as more of a fowrad where we may be able to get Lochie O’Brien or Hunter Clark who seem like better fits on paper. Then again I coud be wrong. What are your thoughts on these two

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I would seek and PAY FOR outside assistance to make sure we get our recruiting right.
This is vital and we should leave no stone unturned. We should resource our recruitment department to the hilt in the next two months.

We need to take the draft more seriously.
Just Trout saying "oh he has a strong character and comes from a great family" crap is amateur club level stuff. We arent recruiting for the Seminary. I dont give two s***s about their family or character. I just want the best players. The club should be able to manage or improve the character as they go along and mature. Look at Carlisle. Would not pass the so called 'character' test but when push came to shove he was the only bloke who stood up this year when it mattered.

We need to raise the standards here. If we need to pay for expertise then do it.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Pick 7 worth 1644 points (before free agency period)
Pick 8 worth 1551 points (before free agency period)
As a result of GWS being penalised 1,000 draft points because of Lachie Whitfiled hiding from drug testing saga they will have their first round pick relegated to by 1,000 points back to somewhere like No 64.
This pick could end up anywhere between pick 54 to 73 depending on how GWS fares during the finals
St Kilda sold their second round pick to GWS for Jack Steele.
That will be pick No 25 worth 756 points (before free agency period)
Our third round pick is pick No 43 worth 378 points
We gained North Melbourne's fourth round most likely pick 57 worth 182 points
And our fourth round pick most likely pick 61 worth 135 points.

Picks 7, 8, 43, 57 & 61 total value 3,890 points with the first rounder contributing 3,195 points and the rest 695 points
The pick Nos and points value will vary as the AFL awards picks as compensation for free agency and picks are reshuffled as a result of academy and father-son queue jumping.
We can also access first round draft pick from 2018 OR all our other picks from 2018 OR some of those later picks from 2018.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:We should go for someone who is fat, 4 feet tall, has no hands and one leg - you know - continue the tradition.
I don't have anything against a player with one leg. The trouble is, neither does he.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote:
GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:Stephenson is quick and agile, DJH. Dare I say it, a little "Bont -like". Has the ability to make things happen. He's be a good outside runner who can finish well. Think Will Hoskin Elliott, who would've been a very handy pick up for us, had the filth not courted him so strongly. I'd be very happy to get him.
My very limited research has him as more of a fowrad where we may be able to get Lochie O’Brien or Hunter Clark who seem like better fits on paper. Then again I coud be wrong. What are your thoughts on these two
Lochie O'Brien, the Bendigo product, would also suit us very well. Quick, clean by foot, he would make an excellent link up midfield, half back type. Good speed. Lovely kick, which is what we need. He would be available to us as well, with some having him as low as twenty.

Hunter Clark is also a good user. He's a rebounding defender who gets plenty of it. Local boy as well (Stingrays). Widely touted as a first rounder, he's a half back, while I think O'Brien might be a better chance to develop into that midfielder we need. If I had to go for one, it would be O'Brien.

George27
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote:
perfectionist wrote:We should go for someone who is fat, 4 feet tall, has no hands and one leg - you know - continue the tradition.
I don't have anything against a player with one leg. The trouble is, neither does he.
You stole that one from the famous Peter Cook/ Dudley Moore sketch about the one-legged man auditioning to play Tarzan !

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

George27 wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
You stole that one from the famous Peter Cook/ Dudley Moore sketch about the one-legged man auditioning to play Tarzan !
You got me. :wink:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Busier than a one -legged man in an arse kicking contest?

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
George27 wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
Hey colin

In red white and black from 73
stevie
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
George27 wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
Hey colin
lol my sister and i call each other Col after the great Derek and Clive stuff!

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

really hope we take them to the draft and get two quality goald kicking mids.

use our 'war chest' of coin on free agents that dont require picks as trades.

move on from this average season

#1 Ryder fan
older saint
SS Life Member

IF we don't trade then best available mids.

May see us give something to get something.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I would seek and PAY FOR outside assistance to make sure we get our recruiting right.
This is vital and we should leave no stone unturned. We should resource our recruitment department to the hilt in the next two months.

We need to take the draft more seriously.
Just Trout saying "oh he has a strong character and comes from a great family" crap is amateur club level stuff. We arent recruiting for the Seminary. I dont give two s***s about their family or character. I just want the best players. The club should be able to manage or improve the character as they go along and mature. Look at Carlisle. Would not pass the so called 'character' test but when push came to shove he was the only bloke who stood up this year when it mattered.

We need to raise the standards here. If we need to pay for expertise then do it.

Good point re Carlisle.