possible trade bait

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: possible trade bait

dragit wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:Gresham is an untouchable, AFAIC. Then again, GWS is openly pursuing a small forward, midfielder, such as Puopolo. If push came to shove and they wanted the Gresh for Kelly or as part of a package deal, would you do it? Things that make you go hmmmmm......l.l.
No. There's a reason they gave Gresham No.4.

Kelly is a gun midfielder, Gresham will be a gun midfielder.
They would have to consider it, if it meant we land the premier young midfielder in the comp in Kelly.

Gresham is an exciting young player with some mad tricks, but I have my doubts he can become a genuine midfielder. The club obviously love him though, so it would be a very tough decision.g

The number 4 jumper doesn't mean a lot… Eli Templeton & Clint Jones being the previous two custodians.
It means a lot to me. Lockett wore it. Baldock wore it. Gresham shows every sign of being a worthy custodian.

That aside, how many games has Gresham played? Forty-odd. For all you and I know he could become a better midfielder than Kelly. Put Kelly in a couple of losing midfields and he won't look so flash. He's surrounded by class where he is.

I'll be disappointed if the club starts jettisoning future stars to get in some "messiah" who totally screws the pay scale and leaves us a knee reconstruction from disaster. If we can secure a gun on a reasonable deal without offloading one of our own, then all's well.

We need to stay the course in building an even list. It will show big dividends imo as soon as next season.

outside66
Club Player

Koby Stevens reckons Savage has already re-signed recently.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
DJ Higgins wrote:What about Acres? I think he is slightly over rated or not living up to potential. So many times he does great things and then something stupid that costs a goal. I think that if we got some value for him we should think about it
No way.

I'm out keen on seeing him become a star of the competition for someone else over the next 15 seasons.

Yes there is a lot of hype around him, but that is because people can see the type of player he can become. As Con said, only 21 and fewer than 50 games.
So you wouldn't trade him for say Kelly and Whitfield with a first round draft pick? Really?

DJ Higgins
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
DJ Higgins wrote:What about Acres? I think he is slightly over rated or not living up to potential. So many times he does great things and then something stupid that costs a goal. I think that if we got some value for him we should think about it
No way.

I'm out keen on seeing him become a star of the competition for someone else over the next 15 seasons.

Yes there is a lot of hype around him, but that is because people can see the type of player he can become. As Con said, only 21 and fewer than 50 games.
So you wouldn't trade him for say Kelly and Whitfield with a first round draft pick? Really?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
No way.

Acres for Kelly, Whitfield and a first round pick? Do you reckon they could throw in a second-rounder as well to sweeten it a bit?

To the top
SS Life Member

To present that our young talent be traded is just a sheer nonsense - and that is being polite in the extreme

If others want them then we absolutely need them

We have a very promising core of young players introduced over the Richardson years and they will be the drivers of team success over the immediate future

The real problem St Kilda has had and why its history is what it is has been is that we have not batted deeply enough and our stars have been left to carry just too much of the load

So retaining our young talent is not negotiable - we need to compliment them not trade them for a "star"

We used to sell our Form 4's for money to keep the footy club somewhere near financially afloat (with some help from Creditors!) so the lesson is etched in our DNA, except we have not learnt because the concentration has been on our star players not our under belly

The only players who have a trade currency are the likes of Goddard and Dal Santo, entering the twilight of their career and seen by another Club as the cream in an anticipated premiership side

The status of Roo and Montagna means we no longer have "trade bait"

Our experienced players for 2018 will be Armitage, Gilbert, Geary and Brown none of whom will have currency - except perhaps Gilbert because of his versatility

Armitage returning from injury you would assume would attract no interest - a big 2017 and it may have been different!

But Gilbert will be an absolute necessity in 2018 because of his required experience and versatility - and is, along with Armitage, the only experienced player guaranteed a game

We need at least some experience

In terms of our ruck options we only have Hickey (we trust free of the ailments that have impacted on his 2017 including this week) and Longer for pressure and back up

We are talking about a leader of the ruck division, not a relief back up aka Marshall

The way forward is Draft Picks, trading those Draft Picks with currency and Free Agents

Remember that, hopefully, in 2018 we add 3 First Round Draft Picks being McCartin, Freeman and Goddard to our playing resources - so we will bat that little bit deeper given the loss of Roo

And I would keep Montagna because of the demographic of the List -- playing selected games

supersaints
Club Player

older saint wrote:The areas we seem to have an excess amount of players in are rucks and HBF

Ruck : Longer, Hickey, Pierce, Holmes,

HB: Geary, Savage, Monty, Webster, Rice, White, Roberton, Gilbert, McKenzie

Forget contracts as at end of the day they mean little in regard to trades unless excessive

Untoiuchable: Geary, Roberton, Rice, White,

Should keep unless really good offer - win/win type trade: Webster, Hickey, Savage, could add Weller to this list

Unlikely to attract interest - Gilbert, McKenzie,

Likely Delisted /Retired: Monty, Holmes, Pierce, probably add Minchington

Retired - Roo, Dempster,

Would mean before trades out : Pierce, Holmes, Roo, Dempster, Minchington,

Upgrade - Marshall, NoK.

interesting times ahead
Didn't see this post till late but

1 Our ruck stocks are lower than most clubs , toward the bottom end not higher . I posted this stat at the beginning of the year. Rucks take a long time to come on, ( from memory nearly every club has five)
The no third man up rule has changed considerably. Most clubs are targeting men mountain Look how the big fella has displaced Goldie at Norf , and how Longer has displaced Hickey

I posted two years ago that half back flankers will be some of your best players... Hawthorn showed that elite disposal launching form the half back flank opens the opposition up. As stated by someone else the half back flank players can be moved around, forward or on ball. When we short the wheat from the chaff we will play those with elite disposal on the hbf. We will keep turning over players here till we get the best.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
DJ Higgins
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
DJ Higgins wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
No way.

Acres for Kelly, Whitfield and a first round pick? Do you reckon they could throw in a second-rounder as well to sweeten it a bit?
Maybe. if you want guns from other clubs then you have to give them something back. GWS has had a lot of draft picks so they may like a player with potential next year rather than in a few years so it was just a thought. To be honest the last gun we got was Carlisle and he cost a lot. Steele doesn't count as he had potential that is now being realised. To be honest I doubt we will get anyone so I am hoping we get 2 top 10 draft picks.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

No deal on Acres...lets build our own superstar

Nee!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:No deal on Acres...lets build our own superstar
My thoughts too

ace
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:Hard to tell. I want to keep everyone.
BUT after retiring Roo Monty possible trades Hickey, Lonie, Weller probably delist coughlan? Have to delist someone.
YES ARMITAGE!!

I get the feeing we not getting kelly but what about whitfield? Taranto??
Id happily give first round pick and hickey or Lonie or Armitage for him.

How about this??
Taranto or Kely and Whitfield
FOR Both this years fIrst rounds - hickey Lonie and Armitage.

GWS want small forward ruck and want older mids so perfection we surely get this!!!!
GWS are chook full of elite talent.
They don't want anything from us other than our two first round draft picks and maybe some of our training staff who know how to keep players on the field uninjured.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Ben Long to the Bulldogs for their 5th round draft pick.
He would make a welcome addition to their VFL team and clear a slot on our senior list.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
SMS wrote:Hard to tell. I want to keep everyone.
BUT after retiring Roo Monty possible trades Hickey, Lonie, Weller probably delist coughlan? Have to delist someone.
YES ARMITAGE!!

I get the feeing we not getting kelly but what about whitfield? Taranto??
Id happily give first round pick and hickey or Lonie or Armitage for him.

How about this??
Taranto or Kely and Whitfield
FOR Both this years fIrst rounds - hickey Lonie and Armitage.

GWS want small forward ruck and want older mids so perfection we surely get this!!!!
:oops:

GWS are chook full of elite talent.
They don't want anything from us other than our two first round draft picks and maybe some of our training staff who know how to keep players on the field uninjured.
More headless chooks? :oops:

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Their depth is anything but paltry.

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:Their depth is anything but paltry.
Need to duck!

Gws kebabs are often fowl!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:Their depth is anything but paltry.
That's a cheep shot.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Ben Long to the Bulldogs for their 5th round draft pick.
He would make a welcome addition to their VFL team and clear a slot on our senior list.
Good call. We wasted our first pick on this guy?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!