Team for Round 23 V Tigers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team for Round 23 V Tigers

Let's hope Lonie kicks the winning goal.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote:Maybe they're trying to boost Lonie & Wellers trade value?
Don't know what the VFL sides could give for them that we need! :oops: :oops:

carn_sainter
Club Player

Lonie won't be traded or delisted. He is worth persisting with and is very young. Another couple years, he'll be afl quality. Like that small guy from freo, Neale or Ballantyne i can't remember which.

The thing with Lonie is that he dominates the vfl. Almost untouchable in that comp. He dominates games in that comp in a way that a guy like Weller wouldn't.

Big step up, it doesn't always translate and all that, but he is a gun footballer worth persisting with.

Amazing the inconsistencies among supporters. We're so quick to declare Lonie a dud but so fast to defend and afford time to McCartin and others.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Lonie???? WTF How many times this year. The kid can't tackle at all. He is too light and his attack isn't great either. Granted he is to good for VFL but he is not good enough for afl yet. Big off season with some bulk on him then sure, but this game it is a waste for another player

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I don't think Lonie deserves the trashing he is getting on here, if he's dominating in the 2's then he deserves another crack - selection integrity 101.

White out and Weller still in is a much bigger concern.

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

Right now, I see Lonie on the Sinclair trajectory, dominate 2nd the twos but not having the same impact at the higher level, get him another pre-season and we can see how he improves his body.

PS. He is dominating the VFL way more than Sinclair did last year. He's a step above all of them in the 2s

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

i have doubts on Lonie, but he's definitely worth perservering with. Age and proper training will give him a more solid build.
Way too early to write him off. Bit flummoxed why White got dropped, and would have liked to see him play.
But we have our most experienced team on the park for Nick's fifth last game and obviously management feel this is our best team for richmond.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Lonie I think can still get better as he gets stronger and aerobically fitter. He unfortunately lacks the pace that one likes small forwards to have these days.

He has footy smarts in reading the ball and play. But unfortunately just seems to rush his ball use often.

If he can correct this aspect of his game, together with building his body, he will become a lot more valuable to the team and may well become a regular player.

Certainly I would be surprised if the club did not retain him.

I see more upside in him that say Wright. But Wright is contracted for next season and Lonie is not.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
MickThomas
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:i have doubts on Lonie, but he's definitely worth perservering with. Age and proper training will give him a more solid build.
Way too early to write him off. Bit flummoxed why White got dropped, and would have liked to see him play.
But we have our most experienced team on the park for Nick's fifth last game and obviously management feel this is our best team for richmond.
"Nick's fifth last game" !!!!

I saw what you did there...
Grand Final, here we come :D

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
saintbob
SS Life Member

DJ Higgins wrote:Lonie???? WTF How many times this year. The kid can't tackle at all. He is too light and his attack isn't great either. Granted he is to good for VFL but he is not good enough for afl yet. Big off season with some bulk on him then sure, but this game it is a waste for another player

He'll keep getting games, as he is one of Richo's favourites.

White was the obvious replacement for Gilbert!!!

StPeter
Club Player

I can't believe talk on here about comparing Lonie and Sinclair. Like chalk and cheese.

Sinclair has always looked liked class. Lonie has done nothing.

lucasro
Club Player

Saints member flying to Melbourne to pay tribute to Roo. Do I just buy general admission ticket at gate and where will I find saints crowd ? Any advice on which tram to catch from docklands to mcg?

westies1953
Proph3t of egan
Club Player

StPeter wrote:I can't believe talk on here about comparing Lonie and Sinclair. Like chalk and cheese.

Sinclair has always looked liked class. Lonie has done nothing.
Did he look like class in his 3 disposal game against the bulldogs last year?

Lonie has done more than Sinclair did at the same age. Lonie is a smart player, and if he gets his body to AFL standard, I wouldn't count him out

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

lucasro wrote:Saints member flying to Melbourne to pay tribute to Roo. Do I just buy general admission ticket at gate and where will I find saints crowd ? Any advice on which tram to catch from docklands to mcg?
Number 70 or 48, or get a train from Southern Cross to Richmond or Jolimont.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"