New stats and how we stack up

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shrodes
SS Life Member

New stats and how we stack up

I love stats :)
From here: https://onballers.com/2017/08/24/five-n ... m-in-2017/

Giveaway Rate
What it is: Clangers less free kicks against, divided by disposals
What it shows: how “clean” a player’s disposal is
What’s the average: 8.8% of disposals
Sam Gilbert in the top 5 worst for this stat
The five worst players on GR were: Dale Thomas (14.1%), Jayden Hunt (13.6%), David Mackay (13.6%), Will Langford (13.5%) and Sam Gilbert (13.5%).
=================================

Around the Ground Work
What it is: My “groundball” metric standardised to the mean plus uncontested marks standardised to the mean, with a cap of 2 on the standardised score (I’ll explain this don’t worry…)
What it shows: by combining the number of times a player has won a loose or ground ball with the number of uncontested marks, I think it shows how hard a player works across the ground
What’s the average: Groundballs: 4.7 | Uncontested marks: 3.5
Nathan Brown and Billy Longer in the top 5 worst for this stat
Those at the bottom are key forwards, defenders and ruckmen: Nathan Brown (-2.56), Nathan Vardy (-2.52), Eric Hipwood (-2.34), Billy Longer (-2.29) and Will Hayward (-1.96).
=================================

Tackle Rate
What it is: Tackles divided by disposals
What it shows: The extent to which the activities of a player are more defensively-oriented when they are around the ball
What’s the average: 0.174 (or one tackle laid for every 5.7 disposals)
Jack Steele in the top 5 best for this stat
third place Jack Steele is on 0.36 (2.75).
Should give everyone a bit more ammunition to love or hate on some of our players :D

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

Re: New stats and how we stack up

I'm more than happy for Nathan brown to have the lowest around the ground score, because if he's getting uncontested marks it means he is not doing his job

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
stonecold
SS Life Member

Easy to hand pick stats to 'rate or not rate' a certain player/players, whilst leaving out other stats external stats never tell the story of whether or not is playing he's role for the team!!!!!

Internal 'not external' stats/Opinions are the ONLY ones that matter, just check the Coaches Votes/Club B&F if your unsure!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:Easy to hand pick stats to 'rate or not rate' a certain player/players, whilst leaving out other stats external stats never tell the story of whether or not is playing he's role for the team!!!!!

Internal 'not external' stats/Opinions are the ONLY ones that matter, just check the Coaches Votes/Club B&F if your unsure!!!!!
If Longer wins the Club B&F then we have got real problems! He might win the coaches encouragement award though.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
stonecold
SS Life Member

Jacks Back wrote:
stonecold wrote:Easy to hand pick stats to 'rate or not rate' a certain player/players, whilst leaving out other stats external stats never tell the story of whether or not is playing he's role for the team!!!!!

If Longer wins the Club B&F then we have got real problems! He might win the coaches encouragement award though.

Where was it stated Billy would win the B&F and by whom?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Proph3t of egan wrote:I'm more than happy for Nathan brown to have the lowest around the ground score, because if he's getting uncontested marks it means he is not doing his job
So if his job is to defend, then why does he spectate instead of impacting a pack? I've seen Webster, Geary and Robbo doing it rather than the bigger bodied Brown. Last year it was Dempster and Chips and somehow we thought he'd be as good as those 2. He's not even close!! He allows opponents far too easy access at the footy. Why does he lose his man more often than not and allow easy goals? Why does he punch the ball back into the corridor instead of doing a 'golden fist' into the first row?

It's funny how the coaches will blurt out statistics to make a point and the 'numbers' usually do tell a story...but when the statistics highlight an unbiased fact, they quickly ignore them for their favoured players. Nathan Brown will not help St Kilda climb the ladder. He is a liability and we cannot afford to carry passengers if we want to become contenders.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

This is ridiculous. Internal views are often affected by a multitude of biases.

http://io9.com/5974468/the-most-common- ... g-rational

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

This is ridiculous. Internal views are often affected by a multitude of biases.

http://io9.com/5974468/the-most-common- ... g-rational
Yep mav is flying internally, could take out the B&F.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Proph3t of egan wrote:I'm more than happy for Nathan brown to have the lowest around the ground score, because if he's getting uncontested marks it means he is not doing his job
Any examination of Nathan Brown's stats shows he hardy even getsany stats.
He is normally last in our AFL fantasy points.
But that is not his role.
His job is stopping the opposition full forward scoring goals at will, as happened in the past.
He has teammates whose job it is to clear the ball out of defence.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.