The current St Kilda ITK leaks on Big Fish

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

David-Lee
Club Player

Re: The current St Kilda ITK leaks on Big Fish

fugazi wrote:
David-Lee wrote:whenever I see ITK I think wanker. I have never seen or read a genuine ITK on a fan forum in any sport code. EVER! SO STOP you look like a jag arse. Just say "I" hope or the lollipop lady thinks....OK?
Our lollipop lady reckons Kelly will cost both 1st rounders and will end up re-signing with the Giants. So she advises to lure Whitfield or Hopper for a single first rounder...and she said
'Whitfield will want decent coin but don't let his manager dick you around, he's got form '
She's a tough bitch.

The thing is she is not only right but probably ITK.

Spud
Club Player
Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

saintsRrising wrote:
Spud wrote:Husband and wife both spoke to person (partner of her sister) who is mates with Dusty's brother. So :
Couple > sisters partner > Dustys brother.
Sounds legit then. What do they know about Kelly?
Diddely squat unfortunately. I'm perusing other forums in the vain hope someone might know something. Maybe Jaxons can give us another big scoop ; )

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Yeah... Where's Jaxons?

The Recruit
Club Player

loris wrote:Can I post my rumour I've just heard? Even though I haven't been given permission to let this out, I will tell my SS family, I trust you all to keep it in house.

My source told me there are big happenings/discussions re two contracted players, one with the Saints, the other with the Crows. It's the go home factor for both players. Both on-ballers and both want the swap only with the two clubs.

Adelaide want Saints to pick up the rather large salary of the Adelaide super star, they want our potential A Grade on-baller, PLUS one of our first round draft picks and possibly another player from our list, my source hasn't told me who this other player is, that's still in the discussion stage.

Who are the players I hear you ask? Sloane & Dunstan!

How reliable is my source, I hear you ask? Well my source is the 'little voice inside my head'.

These ITK's most posters talk about are, IMHO, just 'the little voices inside their heads'. Lots of made up nonsense at times, and it surprises me that people run with it, then the gullible think it has some validity!

Apologies to Rory Sloane & Luke Dunstan for using their names in vain for this ridiculous ITK exercise.

Hey, come to think of it, it could be a good trade couldn't it? Maybe the source inside my head knows something.........psst don't tell anyone!!!
This is uncalled for garbage. If you don't like discussing rumours get lost. Don't come on here and be a sacarstic idiot.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

They're actually trading a Chiko Roll for two dim sims and a bucket of chips. Fair trade

Joe Bloggs
Club Player

The Recruit wrote:
loris wrote:Can I post my rumour I've just heard? Even though I haven't been given permission to let this out, I will tell my SS family, I trust you all to keep it in house.

My source told me there are big happenings/discussions re two contracted players, one with the Saints, the other with the Crows. It's the go home factor for both players. Both on-ballers and both want the swap only with the two clubs.

Adelaide want Saints to pick up the rather large salary of the Adelaide super star, they want our potential A Grade on-baller, PLUS one of our first round draft picks and possibly another player from our list, my source hasn't told me who this other player is, that's still in the discussion stage.

How reliable is my source, I hear you ask? Well my source is the 'little voice inside my head'.

These ITK's most posters talk about are, IMHO, just 'the little voices inside their heads'. Lots of made up nonsense at times, and it surprises me that people run with it, then the gullible think it has some validity!

Apologies to Rory Sloane & Luke Dunstan for using their names in vain for this ridiculous ITK exercise.

Hey, come to think of it, it could be a good trade couldn't it? Maybe the source inside my head knows something.........psst don't tell anyone!!!
This is uncalled for garbage. If you don't like discussing rumours get lost. Don't come on here and be a sacarstic idiot.
Harsh

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote:

It's called irony and humour.

Let me spell it out for you...

H
U
M
O
U
R

Got it now?

Good.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I don't want to say too much by I have a source very high up in the Saints hierarchy. If I say too much I'll give away who it is. But we are talking right up there.....
My source tells me Brian Waldron is a complete and utter loud mouth f***wit and dumb as a box of hammers.
Cant say anything else at this stage....

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I don't want to say too much by I have a source very high up in the Saints hierarchy. If I say too much I'll give away who it is. But we are talking right up there.....
My source tells me Brian Waldron is a complete and utter loud mouth f***wit and dumb as a box of hammers.
Cant say anything else at this stage....
Scary thing is he once ran our club..... we are shambolic

“Yeah….nah””
shrodes
SS Life Member

Hopper has re-signed, we need to look elsewhere to spend our picks.

The Recruit
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
The Recruit wrote:

It's called irony and humour.

Let me spell it out for you...

H
U
M
O
U
R

Got it now?

Good.
Yeah I get it
Seems your definition of humour is very different to mine

Ellaandjohn
Club Player

Kelly has re signed for 2 years. We will get moneyball players now. All the stars are signed up or going to other clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freely
SS Hall of Fame

What are moneyball players?

suss
Club Player

Ellaandjohn wrote:Kelly has re signed for 2 years. We will get moneyball players now. All the stars are signed up or going to other clubs.

For sure? This isn't based on Liam Pickering's gossip is it?

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Disappointing if true. Really bloody disappointing.
But I can live with it if he's not going elsewhere. Especially North.

Always loyal
Ellaandjohn
Club Player

suss wrote:
Ellaandjohn wrote:Kelly has re signed for 2 years. We will get moneyball players now. All the stars are signed up or going to other clubs.

Don't know that gossip at all but if says he is staying he is right

suss
Club Player

Ellaandjohn wrote:
suss wrote:

Don't know that gossip at all but if says he is staying he is right

You're ruining my Father's Day ...

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote:

Where do you with your 400 odd posts think you're going slagging off one of the most respected posters on this site?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote:What are moneyball players?
Second best players.

The players are available and come cheaper because they have some flaw etc, but whom you hope you can use to still improve the team.
Problem is that we now have so many of these that I doubt that anymore will help us to go higher on the ladder as anyone injected in will probably not be that much different that whomever they displace. What we need now is quality. QUALITY.

If Kelly re-signs here is hoping that it frees up someone like a Whitfield from GWS for upic fas.

If after all the drum beating of the last 5 years of building a war chest, the losing players like Dal and BJ for as it stands indifferent returns, if they do not now land a promised Big Fish or two THIS trade period it will be an epic fail.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
freely
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:
Second best players.

The players are available and come cheaper because they have some flaw etc, but whom you hope you can use to still improve the team.
Problem is that we now have so many of these that I doubt that anymore will help us to go higher on the ladder as anyone injected in will probably not be that much different that whomever they displace. What we need now is quality. QUALITY.

If Kelly re-signs here is hoping that it frees up someone like a Whitfield from GWS for upic fas.

If after all the drum beating of the last 5 years of building a war chest, the losing players like Dal and BJ for as it stands indifferent returns, if they do not now land a promised Big Fish or two THIS trade period it will be an epic fail.
Thanks SR - I never heard that expression. So players like Stevens and Brown I guess.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

I feel the big fish will be Jackson Trengove.

We don't have adequate cover for tall defenders and he would be an upgrade on Brown on certain opponents like Ben Brown.

Has also played forward this year.

Has an existing relationship with our coach from the period where he played great footy.

Trengove plus pick 7 and Pick 8 as midfielders will work for me.

Pick 7 for Whitfield would be nice but could also live without him.

Our emerging YOUNG midfield is better than most give credit:

Ross
Billings
Acres
Dunstan
Sinclair
Steele
Gresham

ALL showing signs that they are the core of our 2020-22 tilt at a flag.

I have always felt 2020-22 is our best chance.

In this scenario pick 7 and pick 8 are 3 seasons and hopefully 50 games into their careers when finals start in 2020.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

So treading water or going backwards for the next two years.

Can't see why we can't aim to make finals next year.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:I feel the big fish will be Jackson Trengove.

If he is the biggest name that we land, then I for one would be underwhelmed.

Yes is a RFA and so will not cost draft picks which is good. But he is not in himself the type of quality injection that will make a significant difference by himself.

So he would be "value" pick up and not a "valuable" pick up.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Second best players.

Not so much "second best", as undervalued, 'rising.

Self evidently, all have flaws. What Billy Beane and his analytical sidekick did was identify players whose perceived flaws had reduced their $ value to below what they could/would bring to the Oakland A's TEAM.

One of the best examples was this bloke - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_Bradford

Beane's adaptation of cold, hard performance statistics nearly won the ultimate prize, in a sport without a whole lot of equalisation levelers (their budget was tiny cf the biggies).

While such an approach does have application in various sports, I reckon it is less so in something like modern day AFL. Baseball, whilst a team sport, has 2 key differences - 1) it is still dominated by 1 key one-on-one contest - pitcher vs batter, and 2) positions on field are more fixed and specialised.

That is not to say Beane's m.o. has no application to AFL. For instance:

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/how-mo ... -ya-138871

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/w ... ip0b8.html

That 2nd article was written in August 2015. The Dogs won the flag the next year.

So, considering what the Moneyball theory is all about (i.e. identify the key(s) to success, then assemble a team strong at those key(s)), and how a couple of clubs have used it, to whatever degree, knowingly or unknowingly, prospered as a result, and in light of this mention in the 2nd article...

"The key to their strategy? Players who amass high tackle numbers, and high possession numbers. Let's call them the ball magnet mutts from the west. The leather-poisoned pups from the kennel."

....just what is 'Saints footy', anyway?

As noted to a fellow poster yesdee, I'm not unhappy we missed Martin, nor that we would miss Kelly. Landing big fish can be used as a sop and a distraction, and paper over the fundamental flaws in the fabric of the organisation. The way the game is played these days, the big fish tend to operate at the margins of overall team cohesion and coherence.

Yes, they can make differences in big and important games - that's the "margin", because you only play in big and important games if you are cohesive and coherent in the lead up.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
dragit
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:I feel the big fish will be Jackson Trengove.
Bit of an oxymoron TBH.

He could be an upgrade on Brown but we are really struggling if a 13 disposal, 3 mark defender is considered a big fish.