Player Agents & Incestuous Doings

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Player Agents & Incestuous Doings

Found myself watching player agent Paul Connors (Conner Sports) on Open Mike. Besides being impressed with how he has built his business I was struck by the admissions that Agents, Players' Association and AFL Administration are able to orchestrate so much, implying that the level playing field rules are a charade on supporters. Amongst points made were that Ricky Nixon was a master puppet master until his spectacular fall, he worked with Mr Demetriou when Mr D was AFL Players CEO to restrict other agents; Nixon did a lot to get Mr D the AFL CEO job (scratch, scratch). The old boys network over rides rules, agents actively influence club decisions and options. I suppose it would be naïve to really think otherwise. So the Rickys and Andrews move on but the self interest still dominates. I have noted that the main graphic on Connor Sports Website home page is Marc Murphy and wondered, as Billings is with that agent, whether that relationship had any connection to the way the club bent the knee re sledging and how the media might have been lobbied to portray the incident ( I reckon it cost us a form slump and finals). It also makes me rethink some of the more odd selections by the Saints (incl. X. Clarke), perhaps the recruiters were outplayed, conned or otherwise influenced to put interests other than the Saints list as the priority and whether player power means coaches are not as powerful as I might think. After all if you want an industry career you have to play the industry game. Unqualified commitment like Nick Reiwoldt's would seem a very rare commodity and I hope he coaches Saints in the near term.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Player Agents & Incestuous Doings

So do you court the player, or the agent? If you piss off the agent that has over a hundred players on his books, can you still deal with him?

I bet PC gets some lovely xmas gifts.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Re: Player Agents & Incestuous Doings

Bend the Knee.... who has been watching too much Game of Thrones