Out of the Kelly race?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Out of the Kelly race?

parkeysainter wrote:According to Robbo Essendon are now a big chance for Kelly.
Well as slobbo is Essendon's No 1 fanboi he would say that.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote:
We need to sell players a vision
Convince them that they should come and play for us, take less and join this core.
Nice words. But if you take $$$ out of it what exactly can we offer that other clubs cannot offer. What vision would be that persuasive that we can offer that other clubs cannot that he would sacrificce a lot of money to play with us?

I mean take less? So why would Kelly not:
- stay at GWS where his odds of a cup are excellent
- go to Cats to team with Danger and Selwood
- be a double act with Martin at the Tigers
- go to the Dons who have really good talls, quick runners but who lack in the middle

Compared to North and Blues we can offer similar $$$ but a list a number of years in front of the Kangas or the Blues.

The Saints are not currently a destination club. The "vision"we would be selling to Kelly is that he can help us play finals, rather that he can play finals by joining us.

I cannot imagine Kelly joining us if not on large coin. Maybe not the largest offer, but it would be sizable.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
The_President wrote:
We need to sell players a vision
Convince them that they should come and play for us, take less and join this core.
Nice words. But if you take $$$ out of it what exactly can we offer that other clubs cannot offer. What vision would be that persuasive that we can offer that other clubs cannot that he would sacrificce a lot of money to play with us?

I mean take less? So why would Kelly not:
- stay at GWS where his odds of a cup are excellent
- go to Cats to team with Danger and Selwood
- be a double act with Martin at the Tigers
- go to the Dons who have really good talls, quick runners but who lack in the middle

Compared to North and Blues we can offer similar $$$ but a list a number of years in front of the Kangas or the Blues.

The Saints are not currently a destination club. The "vision"we would be selling to Kelly is that he can help us play finals, rather that he can play finals by joining us.

I cannot imagine Kelly joining us if not on large coin. Maybe not the largest offer, but it would be sizable.
Well the plan is all about gun FA. No gun FA and the fat lady sings...

I want us to find a gun recruiter who can find those gems in the second the third round of the draft

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
spert
Saintsational Legend

One thing is bloody obvious and that is we need a Kelly type of midfield if we want to be serious about climbing into the eight. If we can't get Kelly, then the next best thing thanks recruiters.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Would he come for $2 mill a season. Why not get Dusty and Kelly.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
The_President
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:Would he come for $2 mill a season. Why not get Dusty and Kelly.

Paying anyone $2m is just stupid and list suicide.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

welcome to the club Dusty

David-Lee
Club Player

I agree with saintsRising. The club we love is not favoured by A grade trade-ins. When did we last get a premium trade? We have had them but it has been a long while. Long lasting champions grow players from within the draft system. Forget Kelly, he will not chose us and why would he? Come join us and in between 2020-2022 we will contend? Leave a club on the precipice of several grand final appearances for a club lurking outside.
4 years ago when Richo took over the message was that we would be contending for a grand final in 2018. No. Not happening. I will gladly be wrong. Proof is in the season played not the promises made.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
I want us to find a gun recruiter who can find those gems in the second the third round of the draft
Remember that we have already traded away this years second round pick for Steele. (Great trade!),

So unless we trade in a second round pick we will not be in that round.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:Would he come for $2 mill a season. Why not get Dusty and Kelly.

Paying anyone $2m is just stupid and list suicide.
Just a number. If Norda Melbourne can offer Dusty 1.5 mill then Kelly is worth 2 mill.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
older saint
SS Life Member

Don't write us off yet. Often it is the one not broadcast over the media that gets things done.

The issue for Kelly and Martin also is with these long term offers is Guaranteed money. Every footballer is a twist or turn away from a long term career threatening injury. Lot of $$ to leave on the table.

The Recruit
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
Remember that we have already traded away this years second round pick for Steele. (Great trade!),

So unless we trade in a second round pick we will not be in that round.
Our only danger is Carlton. No other teams have what we can offer GWS.
We will trade our first two rounders for kelly and their second round pick.

Carlton is the only danger because if Kelly wants to go to Carlton he can walk there in the pre season draft for nothing which mean GWS have to deal with them..having said with North coming below Carlton and Kelly not wanting to go there we are in the box seat.

Wonder if they will give him the no.12??
Last edited by The Recruit on Tue 22 Aug 2017 9:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Bloggs
Club Player

Seems like the perfect replacement for Marc Murphy.

ace
Saintsational Legend

After North tank next weekend for the No1 draft pick they will have a pick worth 3000 points.
If they want Kelly, GWS will demand they hand over that pick. No arguments.

Our two first round picks look like adding to about the same in points but may not be as attractive to GWS.
They would see merit in being able to have a pick before they queue jump to get an academy pick.
However if they have an academy pick who will go earlier than our first pick our first pick suddenly is worth 25% more to them say 400 points more.

Kelly will be told, you want to leave then you better pick a club who has the right currency.
Essendon playing finals will not have the currency even in their 2017 first rounder and 2018 first rounder to match our 2 first rounders in 2017.
GWS does not want players, if the are good enough to play in GWS best 22 then why are they being traded.
Carlton would need to play their 2017 first rounder and 2018 first rounder.
Hawthorn has already sold their 2017 first and second rounders and would have no salary cap to compete.
Collingwood could bid their 2017 & 2018 first rounder but probably don't have the salary cap space.

It is either stay at GWS or choose between North, St Kilda or Carlton , Mr Kelly. (And make it St Kilda)
Last edited by ace on Tue 22 Aug 2017 9:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

I think it is important when considering GWS behaviour to remember they have been docked 1000 points because of the Lachie Whitfield hiding from drug testing saga.

Pick 15 = 1112 points
Pick 16 = 1067 points
Pick 17 = 1025 points
Pick 18 = 985 points
Pick 19 = 948 points
Pick 20 = 912 points
Pick 21= 878 points
Pick 22 = 845 points
Their first round draft pick will have the 1000 points deducted and moved back to the location of its new points.
Now the AFL has not said when those points will be deducted and the pick relocated but I would assume it will happen before the free agent period.
GWS has effectively lost their first round pick
During the draft they will probably only have 741 points of their own total in currency which only rises to 926 points to grab an academy player.
They will probably want more pick currency.
That makes our 2 first round picks look attractive.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Matters more where Kelly want's to go, and my word is it's to St Kilda.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Anyone watch - open mike - one headline was he was giving some indication or not

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Matters more where Kelly want's to go, and my word is it's to St Kilda.
The only thing that really matters is where Kelly wants to go.

If Kelly decides to leave GWS will have no real say in it.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Kelly will be told, you want to leave then you better pick a club who has the right currency.
GWS can huff and puff all they like, but that argument would have little wight with Kell's manager.

Though Kelly's manager would be wanting any interested club to demonstrate that they can offer the type of total points that a player like Kelly is reasonably worth, and so yes some clubs would struggle. But many clubs would be able to string enough together.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Matters more where Kelly want's to go, and my word is it's to St Kilda.
IF Kelly wants to go, his manager will only care about what Kelly wants and push hard for that.

Connors last night said in his view players should stick with their original clubs ideally.

Off topic,he also said St Kilda would've picked up Judd with pick 5 in 2001 had WCE picked up a ruckman (forgot the name he mentioned) as they were expected to do. (Bazza Brookes was always going at pick 4 supposedly!). We then would've got Jidd and Ball but not X-man. And RB and GT would've had their flags in 2004/5!

Reading between the lines, as sickening and fake as it would be, maybe we should hope for a GWS flag this season so Kelly can dump them being a premiership player already. Might make it easier for him to leave.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

As long as Kelly doesn't sign we're in the hunt, but we'll have some competition. I believe we were into him from last year, before he emerged as a star, I wonder if that will have any bearing?

I heard an interesting conversation between Kevin Bartlett and Brian Waldron on SEN a couple of weeks ago, regarding Martin & Kelly.

Waldron said "Kelly is going to St Kilda. Why would he go to North Melbourne? He is not what they need." The he concluded "Dustin is staying put, Kelly is going to St Kilda."

He didn't say whether that was his belief or he knew something. It was interesting.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Billings and Steele are two good mates of his....that has to count for something.
If the money is the same, then we should be in as good a place as our competitors to do the deal.

If we are going to miss him however, I think we should retain both of our picks and try for Lever or another free agent.

Nee!
minneapolis
Club Player

How on earth do you know that?

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Hemi Baxter
Club Player

minneapolis wrote:
Unfortunately he doesn't. It may have been true a couple of months ago but not now.
His manager has been interviewed several times and made it as clear as he can that he believes Kelly should/will stay. As it's near impossible with their cap that he will earn more than 800-850k a season at the very most, it's clear that it's not just money involved. When he leaves:

- Kelly will want close to top market dollar, a long term contract and a realistic opportunity to be part of another flag winning side. He'll get it.
- GWS will want 2 first rounders or a v high first round selection and a young A grade player. They'll get it.

longtimesaint
Club Player

Hemi Baxter wrote:
minneapolis wrote:
Unfortunately he doesn't. It may have been true a couple of months ago but not now.
His manager has been interviewed several times and made it as clear as he can that he believes Kelly should/will stay. As it's near impossible with their cap that he will earn more than 800-850k a season at the very most, it's clear that it's not just money involved. When he leaves:

- Kelly will want close to top market dollar, a long term contract and a realistic opportunity to be part of another flag winning side. He'll get it.
- GWS will want 2 first rounders or a v high first round selection and a young A grade player. They'll get it.
If he is going to stay at GWS why hasn't he signed by now and let them do their list management.

One year will be our year