Players with upside for 2018

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint wagga
Club Player

Players with upside for 2018

I know 2017 isn't done and dusted yet, but with finals pretty much gone, it's hard not to cast an eye to 2018...mind you it's going to be a long and boring offseason if we don't land a big fish in the trade period!! I thought it worth mentioning some of our younger players who i tihink have definite upside given their age/games played/development this year/role in the side etc...Just to think about the point that Richo made about our side finding most of the improvement from within...

Luke Dunstan - confidence confidence confidence...he looks a different player and very much developing along the seb ross type path...Looking for consistency.
Jack Steele - see above but i think he's even younger than Luke and less games played.
Acres - Banked more games, another offseason, more confidence and feeling of belonging, exciting prospect but needs to find consistency.
Lonie - Surely worth holding onto, i think he has something to offer, needs a big offseason and opportunity.
Jade Gresham - tough season, but banking games, building tank, another year in the system...can only get better and spend more time forward.
Membrey - More games banked, figuring out opponents at afl level, still kicking goals...can be a gun for us...looks to have the mobility to pinch hit in the middle too!
Paddy - can only improve
Goddard - ditto
White - banked a couple of games, looks very classy. Needs to work on tank and strength but can only get better, really exciting prospect
Webster - Still think Jimmy has plenty of upside, another pre season to get stronger and fitter, starting to looked seasoned and hard at afl level. and needs a good run with injury and no suspensions!!
Billings - flip his conversion rate and he wins our B and F!! Exciting that he can still get better...should be a star! banked more games, lookling stronger, harder and fitter at afl level. Sky is the limit.
Dmac - needs opportunity and confidence - surely has improrvement in him with some luck and a run at it.

I'm sure there's more there, but I agree with Richo, there is enough to like in our list to think that we can really build and challenge for finals next year. Consistency is the key and belief. And for what it's worth...can we just pick guns in our leadership group!

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Players with upside for 2018

Good post. I'd add Jack Sinclair and Billy Longer as major improvers this season with only 42 and 58 games under their belt.

Albeit at VFL, getting games into Nathan Freeman is huge too.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Beno88 wrote:Good post. I'd add Jack Sinclair and Billy Longer as major improvers this season with only 42 and 58 games under their belt.

This!!!!!

Wagga, agree, but not sure about Lonie, think his papers stamped!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Saint wagga
Club Player

Beno88 wrote:Good post. I'd add Jack Sinclair and Billy Longer as major improvers this season with only 42 and 58 games under their belt.

Yep absolutely add those in, there's more i'm sure that people could add/subtract depending on how we see things...i guess with this many players having scope to improve/add consistency to their game, there is plenty of scope for improvement from within for next year...This year we unfortanetly didn't see enough players improve, or improve consistenly over a long enough part of the season for us to take the next step...but i think we are well placed to see greater contributions across more players next year.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I'm pretty confident that in 2 years time Acres will be in the top 3 players at our club, if not the best.

Once it clicks, he will be an absolute gun.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.