Jake Lever

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Jake Lever

There doesn't seem to be a lot of love for this guy on here, but the reality is we are pretty desperate for another young tall defender with Brown only filling a hole temporarily and Goddard not coming on at all so far.

Lever is 21, has only just clicked over 50 games but is just about the best intercept mark in the comp, could easily be the best defender in the comp in the next few years.

I know we also need midfield cream, but I think we should be pushing hard for Lever whilst he is available… as gun key defenders like Lever don't turn up too often.

We definitely have the cap space so I hope we are into him, he'd be my next choice if we can't land a Martin or Kelly.

Discuss…

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jake Lever

Absolute gun.
Tough as nails.
I'd throw the kitchen sink at him.
As good as Kelly imo.
If Melbourne get him then look out next year.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Some promising tall defenders in the draft too. Jarrod Brander, Aaron Naughton, Oscar Clavarino, Harry Petty, Sam Taylor. We should try and draft one with a view of replacing Brown in the future.

stkfc1
Club Player

What would we have to give up though? Im thinking at least one of our first round picks and probably a player. Maybe Dunstan because of SA connection? Maybe Hickey? While I wouldnt want to loose Dunstan as he seems to be finding form you need to give something to get something and we have an abundance of inside mids and one of them will loose their spot if we get Kelly anyways. It would be a tough trade as Adelaide will rightly demand overs due to all the interest. Gee, if we got Lever and Kelly I may open that bottle of Moet the wife has got in the fridge. We can only dream!

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

So pay the kitchen sink for Player who we already paid pick 5 for in Carlisle? Don't see the appeal of him personally, does well as a floating tall, but I don't know how he goes as a lock down player

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
minneapolis
Club Player

He is leaving.

But where do you think he will be going? Carlton ......

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I can't see any value for us in Lever. What we are lacking most right now is a creative midfielder (Kelly) and a central forward target (McCartin if he gets up, otherwise ????)

Brown went really well this year IMO. Obviously he won't go on forever, but there are already other options on our list.

If you could get Lever cheaply that would be great. But he's clearly going to come with a large price tag. Let's hope another club bidding for Kelly decides instead to go for Lever.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

I'm a positive Sainter and I think the club has traded and drafted well since we got the spoon a few years back.

Don't know what it is but I've got a bad feeling we will miss out this year on established players. It doesn't look good. Unless the club is working behind the scenes on someone we are unaware of.

At worst we recruit 2 x top 10 picks. Good chance these players are going to be part of a first 18 in next two-three years.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:There doesn't seem to be a lot of love for this guy on here, but the reality is we are pretty desperate for another young tall defender with Brown only filling a hole temporarily and Goddard not coming on at all so far.

Lever is 21, has only just clicked over 50 games but is just about the best intercept mark in the comp, could easily be the best defender in the comp in the next few years.

I know we also need midfield cream, but I think we should be pushing hard for Lever whilst he is available… as gun key defenders like Lever don't turn up too often.

We definitely have the cap space so I hope we are into him, he'd be my next choice if we can't land a Martin or Kelly.

Discuss…

Lever would be a very good acquisition, BUT there is a lot of love for him by the list management teams of other clubs. Pies, Hawks and even the Dees would all kill for a player like Lever and so he is not going to come cheap.

While I would like Lever, I like even more the idea of more class in our midfield and unfortunately the only real option left ow is Kelly and it going to takea monster and/or very creative option to get him.

The Saints must have someone, or someones in mind as the Billings deal took ages, and ditto for Robbo which is not yet done. With Roo gone cash should not be that tight after all the front ending that has been done of late. So my speculation is that the club has BIG $$$ reserves for someone/s and let hope they land their target/s.

Purely speculation by me, but I am thinking it may be part of the reason that Billings is only on a two year contract on modest money for someone of his talent (a 3 or more year deal would have required more$$$ per year) so that the club can mount a monster sign-on deal to blow our opposition clubs out of the water for Kelly.

Many other clubs can offer larger long term $$$ deals. But I would tend to think that the Saints with the max of TPP Banked (North will only have one year banked at most), and having been re-paying salraries fora while that the Saints would be the club that could offer the largest sign-on bonus of any club.

So say with Kelly, it may be join the Saints for $2 million next year and then lower for the next 5.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SuperDuper
Club Player

Id be happy to go for Alir Alir.. cant get a game at Swans

Lever is good but I cant see us getting him.. many suiters and will be expensive in terms of picks...
Sure... Id give up all 3 first rounders for Kelly and Lever but I just cant see us enticing both of them!

Getting one would be great.... Kelly the priority

saint-stu
Club Player

meher baba wrote:I can't see any value for us in Lever. What we are lacking most right now is a creative midfielder (Kelly) and a central forward target (McCartin if he gets up, otherwise ????)

Brown went really well this year IMO. Obviously he won't go on forever, but there are already other options on our list.

If you could get Lever cheaply that would be great. But he's clearly going to come with a large price tag. Let's hope another club bidding for Kelly decides instead to go for Lever.
Brown has been good but gets exposed badly against the best forwards (Buddy, Kennedy).

Goddard is the obvious replacement but as Dragit said, we really don't know where he'll end up. Personally I haven't seen it with Goddard, even before his injury.

It would be awesome to get another A grade key defender such as Carlisle. I haven't seen much of Lever but being young, 196cm, from Victoria and a good intercept mark, sounds like he ticks most of the boxes. What's he like in one on one contests?

1ac46a38
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

While Lever would be a handy acquisition he plays a very similar role to Carlisle and Roberton - what we need down back is a reliable bull full back to replace Brown - yes we have Goddard in the wings but he is pretty much well untested and injury prone for that matter

So Lever to me would be more of a luxury rather than an absolute need - can he play full back? Maybe Carlisle could play full back to allow Lever and Roberton to run amok intercepting further up the ground?

As it stands our primary need is for skilful mids who can provide quick outside run - Kelly and Whitfield fit this mould

Of course any of these 3 would be great - 2 of them superb but it will cost us 3 first rounders

Or would people prefer to get say Kelly and take one this year's 1st round picks to the draft?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
footynut
Club Player

SuperDuper wrote:Id be happy to go for Alir Alir.. cant get a game at Swans

That would be a major upgrade of Brown and he's only young which is a bonus

Crossy66
Club Player

Devilhead wrote:While Lever would be a handy acquisition he plays a very similar role to Carlisle and Roberton - what we need down back is a reliable bull full back to replace Brown - yes we have Goddard in the wings but he is pretty much well untested and injury prone for that matter

So Lever to me would be more of a luxury rather than an absolute need - can he play full back? Maybe Carlisle could play full back to allow Lever and Roberton to run amok intercepting further up the ground?

As it stands our primary need is for skilful mids who can provide quick outside run - Kelly and Whitfield fit this mould

Of course any of these 3 would be great - 2 of them superb but it will cost us 3 first rounders

Or would people prefer to get say Kelly and take one this year's 1st round picks to the draft?
Good post, tend to agree with all your points.
Our pressing need is for A grade mids so Kelly and Whitfield would be the dream and will cost 3 first rounders
The problem with drafting a mid this year is that we are looking to contend from next year, and players dont really hit their straps until the 80+ game mark. (although there are a few exception to that rule!)
I

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote:Id be happy to go for Alir Alir.. cant get a game at Swans

Lever is good but I cant see us getting him.. many suiters and will be expensive in terms of picks...
Sure... Id give up all 3 first rounders for Kelly and Lever but I just cant see us enticing both of them!

Me too.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell