Who do we take in the draft?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

quirky84
Club Player

Who do we take in the draft?

If we can't use our picks on luring Kelly or another big name, and we take both picks do the draft (currently 7 and 8). Who would we have our eye on?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-17/c ... st-edition

We definitely need midfield class, although it seems the cream of the crop will be snapped up in the top 5, then its a few key position players, half forwards and ruckmen next in the rankings. I know a lot can change between now and then, but would it be the worst idea to trade one of those picks, say pick 8 for two later picks, like pick 16 and 20 for example, and keep pick 7. This would leave us with 3 picks in the top 20. Richmond currently have picks 15 and 16 and desperately need another key forward.

One thing I definitely don't want it take another short midfielder. We need a bit more size in and around the ball. Steele and Stevens have given us that extra grunt, but with Billings and Gresham in the team, I feel we're often a bit outsized.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who do we take in the draft?

Charlie Constable at 190cm for an inside mid, looks good at 7 or 8. I would trade the pick with Brisbane for 13 and 18 or Richmond for 15 and 16, to give us three picks in the first round. I would use them for another mid, and a tall defender, probably Aaron Naughton from W.A.
Unless Brander or Stephenson slide down to 7. Then I would take them.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who do we take in the draft?

I remember Jason Dunstall saying from a Hawthorn perspective, that you recruit the best talent regardless of the position they play...or something similar.