Richo set to be offered long-term contract

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Re: Richo set to be offered long-term contract

Postby loris » Thu 17 Aug 2017 12:36pm

shrodes wrote:
loris wrote:
Legendary wrote:The most recently retired player involved at the Saints is Lindsay Gilbee (VFL coach, retired 2012).

The next most recent is Aaron Hamill (retired 2007). He left the game a decade ago.

Sexton has been with us for 11 years (!) and Kingsley for 7 years.

McPhee came from the WAFL and Welsh came from the VFL.

We don't have any assistant coaches at St Kilda who have been involved in the AFL system at another successful club in the last decade.

Not one.

No IP from Hawthorn, Collingwood, Sydney, Adelaide, Geelong, GWS or Footscray.

No recent experience at a club that's played deep in September.


What about the small forward who came to us from Sydney this year as an assistant? Mac /Mc L somebody????


Ben McGlynn. The IP didn't really help us in both the Sydney games though.

He's not listed on the coaches list for some reason.


Thanks Schroder that's his name. Your link to the coaching panel is 2015, before he came. You'll find McGlynn listed for 2017 in the area where there is a list of all staff employed by the St Kilda FC.
loris
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3806
Joined: Tue 22 Jan 2008 5:41pm

Re: Richo set to be offered long-term contract

Postby rodgerfox » Thu 17 Aug 2017 12:41pm

The AFL is finally getting up to speed with the real world.

You don't throw the baby out with the bath water.


If has someone has a strong skill set, but lacks in other areas, you don't sack him. Same as a C-level manager in an organisation. You improve their weaknesses, and work to their strengths.

If players listen to a coach and do what they're asked, that's gold. You've got to hold onto that.

If it's the message that is the problem - then change the message. You don't need to change the person delivering it.
Last edited by rodgerfox on Thu 17 Aug 2017 1:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 7937
Joined: Wed 10 Mar 2004 9:10am

Re: Richo set to be offered long-term contract

Postby shrodes » Thu 17 Aug 2017 12:48pm

loris wrote:
shrodes wrote:Ben McGlynn. The IP didn't really help us in both the Sydney games though.

He's not listed on the coaches list for some reason.


Thanks Schroder that's his name. Your link to the coaching panel is 2015, before he came. You'll find McGlynn listed for 2017 in the area where there is a list of all staff employed by the St Kilda FC.


Our website is pretty bad, he's not in the top menu either
Image
User avatar
shrodes
Club Player
 
Posts: 1088
Joined: Tue 12 Aug 2014 2:34pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Richo set to be offered long-term contract

Postby loris » Thu 17 Aug 2017 12:56pm

shrodes wrote:
loris wrote:
shrodes wrote:Ben McGlynn. The IP didn't really help us in both the Sydney games though.

He's not listed on the coaches list for some reason.


Thanks Schroder that's his name. Your link to the coaching panel is 2015, before he came. You'll find McGlynn listed for 2017 in the area where there is a list of all staff employed by the St Kilda FC.


Our website is pretty bad, he's not in the top menu either
Image


I don't know how to link info from this Saints site to this site. However I just typed Ben McGlynn's name into that search box in the right hand corner on the Saints.com site & it gave a list of all staff at StKFC - however I think that was dated March 2017 when he first came to us. Maybe, he's been quietly sacked :? :?
Possibly when he didn't provide the IP against the Swannies :P
loris
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3806
Joined: Tue 22 Jan 2008 5:41pm

Re: Richo set to be offered long-term contract

Postby saintspremiers » Thu 17 Aug 2017 1:05pm

Legendary wrote:The most recently retired player involved at the Saints is Lindsay Gilbee (VFL coach, retired 2012).

The next most recent is Aaron Hamill (retired 2007). He left the game a decade ago.

Sexton has been with us for 11 years (!) and Kingsley for 7 years.

McPhee came from the WAFL and Welsh came from the VFL.

We don't have any assistant coaches at St Kilda who have been involved in the AFL system at another successful club in the last decade.

Not one.

No IP from Hawthorn, Collingwood, Sydney, Adelaide, Geelong, GWS or Footscray.

No recent experience at a club that's played deep in September.


This is very damming if it is all the assistants we have.

Have you considered emailing Finnis and paid the question to him if he thinks it's an issue??

I'd be surprised if any other team would have such an outdated bunch of assistants.

I know these two don't have premiership IP but I'd love Johnathon Brown and Dal Santo as assistants - but that's based on their fantastic communication skills and the attitude they had to playing the game more than anything.
i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 23408
Joined: Tue 01 Feb 2005 4:25pm
Location: Trump Tower

Re: Richo set to be offered long-term contract

Postby rodgerfox » Thu 17 Aug 2017 1:21pm

saintspremiers wrote:
Legendary wrote:The most recently retired player involved at the Saints is Lindsay Gilbee (VFL coach, retired 2012).

The next most recent is Aaron Hamill (retired 2007). He left the game a decade ago.

Sexton has been with us for 11 years (!) and Kingsley for 7 years.

McPhee came from the WAFL and Welsh came from the VFL.

We don't have any assistant coaches at St Kilda who have been involved in the AFL system at another successful club in the last decade.

Not one.

No IP from Hawthorn, Collingwood, Sydney, Adelaide, Geelong, GWS or Footscray.

No recent experience at a club that's played deep in September.


This is very damming if it is all the assistants we have.

Have you considered emailing Finnis and paid the question to him if he thinks it's an issue??

I'd be surprised if any other team would have such an outdated bunch of assistants.

I know these two don't have premiership IP but I'd love Johnathon Brown and Dal Santo as assistants - but that's based on their fantastic communication skills and the attitude they had to playing the game more than anything.


Montagna and Reiwoldt are there though.

They are both 'playing coaches' and obviously up to speed with the modern game.
User avatar
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 7937
Joined: Wed 10 Mar 2004 9:10am

Re: Richo set to be offered long-term contract

Postby saintbrat » Fri 06 Oct 2017 1:44pm

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-06/s ... h-new-deal
ST KILDA has extended coach Alan Richardson's contract for a further two seasons, with the deal set to be announced at Friday night's best and fairest.

Richardson was due to come out of contract at the end of next season, but both the coach and the Saints have long been keen to extend their partnership.

It is understood negotiations have been smooth, with detailed talks starting at the end of the Saints' season.

The deal will make the 52-year-old the club's longest serving coach in more than four decades if he serves his full term to the end of 2020.
StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly......Contributing to the needs of Saints!!
Image
MEMBERSHIP 2014- 31,134 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83276
Membership 2015 32,746 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87701&hilit=membership+2015
MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89838&p=1585759#p1585759
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91699
User avatar
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 43667
Joined: Tue 09 Mar 2004 4:11pm
Location: saints zone

Re: Richo set to be offered long-term contract

Postby thejiggingsaint » Fri 06 Oct 2017 3:07pm

saintbrat wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-06/saints-show-faith-in-richo-with-new-deal
ST KILDA has extended coach Alan Richardson's contract for a further two seasons, with the deal set to be announced at Friday night's best and fairest.

Richardson was due to come out of contract at the end of next season, but both the coach and the Saints have long been keen to extend their partnership.

It is understood negotiations have been smooth, with detailed talks starting at the end of the Saints' season.

The deal will make the 52-year-old the club's longest serving coach in more than four decades if he serves his full term to the end of 2020.


If he achieves the ultimate prize, he'll be there for LIFE! ( fingers crossed!)
Dream the impossible dream: Go Saints! (to hell with the rest!) :D
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 8043
Joined: Wed 03 Aug 2005 10:01pm

Re: Richo set to be offered long-term contract

Postby saint-stu » Fri 06 Oct 2017 3:58pm

I'm not sure our problems are tactical. The biggest issues that we see are
1. Goal kicking. Worst in the league and cost us finals this yesr. Our current coaches haven't been turn it around. Hiring Been Dixon is a great move.
2. Not turning up some weeks. Again it seems we havent been able to change this. I really hope the club is looking hard at the cause(s) of this.

Last year we also had the problem of playing interstate and the coaching team and players have managed to turn that around this year.

Also I wonder if the causes of our losses are not necessarily game plan related. It would seem for whatever reason the team hasn't been able to follow the plan in every game, rather than the plan being wrong. The tigers should give us confidence this style stacks up. Given we're in development mode rather than contending, maybe Richo wants the players to work through this to make sure they learn to follow the plan rather than looking for a plan B.
1ac46a38
saint-stu
Club Player
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Thu 22 Nov 2007 8:27pm

Re: Richo set to be offered long-term contract

Postby magnifisaint » Fri 06 Oct 2017 4:16pm

Good move
User avatar
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 5212
Joined: Sun 02 May 2004 2:52am
Location: Fiddling under my raincoat

Re: Richo set to be offered long-term contract

Postby spert » Fri 06 Oct 2017 4:34pm

No convinced sorry.
spert
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 6770
Joined: Wed 29 Jun 2005 10:39pm
Location: A distant beach

Re: Richo set to be offered long-term contract

Postby Life Long Saint » Fri 06 Oct 2017 4:49pm

saint-stu wrote:I'm not sure our problems are tactical. The biggest issues that we see are
1. Goal kicking. Worst in the league and cost us finals this yesr. Our current coaches haven't been turn it around. Hiring Been Dixon is a great move.
2. Not turning up some weeks. Again it seems we havent been able to change this. I really hope the club is looking hard at the cause(s) of this.

Last year we also had the problem of playing interstate and the coaching team and players have managed to turn that around this year.

Also I wonder if the causes of our losses are not necessarily game plan related. It would seem for whatever reason the team hasn't been able to follow the plan in every game, rather than the plan being wrong. The tigers should give us confidence this style stacks up. Given we're in development mode rather than contending, maybe Richo wants the players to work through this to make sure they learn to follow the plan rather than looking for a plan B.

Agree with that.
Our two worst performances were against Essendon and Melbourne.
We didn't show up at all for the Essendon game. It was our lowest pressure index game for the season.
The Melbourne game was different. Our skill level in the first quarter was as bad as I have seen it for a long, long time. After quarter time, we actually outplayed Melbourne and had a real chance at snatching the game.
We have also been terribly inaccurate for most of the season and that cost us a win against the Eagles and percentage boosts against Brisbane, Gold Coast, and North Melbourne.
User avatar
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4146
Joined: Tue 09 Mar 2004 12:54pm

Re: Richo set to be offered long-term contract

Postby thejiggingsaint » Fri 06 Oct 2017 5:27pm

spert wrote:No convinced sorry.

No need to apologise mate. Perhaps a good season in 2018 maybe will convince you?
Dream the impossible dream: Go Saints! (to hell with the rest!) :D
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 8043
Joined: Wed 03 Aug 2005 10:01pm

Re: Richo set to be offered long-term contract

Postby skeptic » Fri 06 Oct 2017 5:54pm

thejiggingsaint wrote:
spert wrote:No convinced sorry.

No need to apologise mate. Perhaps a good season in 2018 maybe will convince you?


A premiership in 2018 would go a long way to alleviating most doubts I have
skeptic
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 8479
Joined: Wed 10 Mar 2004 7:10pm

Re: Richo set to be offered long-term contract

Postby older saint » Fri 06 Oct 2017 6:02pm

Glad to see security for the future. Hard to attract players as out is , even harder when they don't know who they will be playing for.
older saint
Club Player
 
Posts: 1569
Joined: Wed 12 Sep 2007 5:30pm

Re: Richo set to be offered long-term contract

Postby Darth Vader » Sat 07 Oct 2017 9:15am

spert wrote:No convinced sorry.

Yeah, not sure either. Dal on TV last night saying he thought it was unnecessary to extend now - too early and improvement has stalled. Can't tell me hasn't had inside word from Roo and Joey.
Darth Vader
Club Player
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 11:04pm

Previous

Return to Saintsational Fan Forum (open to all ages)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: avid, Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Choppa, Con Gorozidis, Darth Vader, Peastify, saintpaul74, ss1986 and 49 guests