The "Meltdown Phenomenon"

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

The "Meltdown Phenomenon"

I always watch with interest when reality hits the site, as it most certainly did yesterday. The so-called meltdowns that our frowned upon by the usual suspects, our self appointed moral and intellectual superiors, apparently get a giggle and schadenfreude from peoples' suffering. Strange individuals, but I digress. For the rest of us, yesterday drove home how ordinary we really are, and after years of pain and suffering, and 51 years without a flag, we are faced with yet another year of failure and disappointment. The "melt downers" have every right to be angry. This club has sold us yet another pup. As if losing one of the best coaches in the business and replacing him with a complete muppet wasn't bad enough, we are now stuck with a merry band of Clouseaux who after four years, still couldn't find a clown in a circus. Anyone with half a brain, who puts their time, effort, emotion and money into this cause should be angry. Imagine if this club was responsible for your super, or savings and consistently let you down, year after year.

Most people have no idea how ordinary the people are who run the place. The coaches and assistants are in it mainly because they've never known anything else. Most of them have been in the protective bubble of AFL clubdom since the age of 18. They couldn't get paid anywhere near as much as they do, if they had to hoof it in the real world. They also do SFA in comparison to what us working slobs do. Most of them just repeat and follow. Very few are innovators, such as Clarko. Most are overpaid sheep, who quickly disappear.

I don't know why we have such high expectations of them. Maybe it's because some people on here are pretty bright, see through the crap, wonder why simple strategies aren't implemented and how the same mistakes are repeated over and over again. It's simple really. They're nowhere near as smart as we think they are. For goodness sake, John Barker is touted as one of the next great coaches in the game. From personal experience, the guy can't fart and chew gum at the same time, but he's good, just ask him. A typical FIGJAM that the AFL industry breeds.

If you're any good at what you do, you don't waste your time in the AFL. You make your mark elsewhere and get duly rewarded. It's the gullible and the hopeful that keep AFL clubs like ours going. That's why these meltdowns we have occur. It's a small window of reality that shatters the myth that our club is competent. History and results indicate it's not. The fury rages temporarily, then settles, as the well of hope refills. The sychophants on here give me a good giggle. Nothing wrong with it, just stop preaching to the rest of us that things are ok. They are not. We're 11th in the fourth year of a rebuild. Let that sink in for a moment. 11th. That's reality, something a club like ours wants you to ignore. Pleasing.

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: The "Meltdown Phenomenon"

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:I always watch with interest when reality hits the site, as it most certainly did yesterday. The so-called meltdowns that our frowned upon by the usual suspects, our self appointed moral and intellectual superiors, apparently get a giggle and schadenfreude from peoples' suffering. Strange individuals, but I digress. For the rest of us, yesterday drove home how ordinary we really are, and after years of pain and suffering, and 51 years without a flag, we are faced with yet another year of failure and disappointment. The "melt downers" have every right to be angry. This club has sold us yet another pup. As if losing one of the best coaches in the business and replacing him with a complete muppet wasn't bad enough, we are now stuck with a merry band of Clouseaux who after four years, still couldn't find a clown in a circus. Anyone with half a brain, who puts their time, effort, emotion and money into this cause should be angry. Imagine if this club was responsible for your super, or savings and consistently let you down, year after year.

Most people have no idea how ordinary the people are who run the place. The coaches and assistants are in it mainly because they've never known anything else. Most of them have been in the protective bubble of AFL clubdom since the age of 18. They couldn't get paid anywhere near as much as they do, if they had to hoof it in the real world. They also do SFA in comparison to what us working slobs do. Most of them just repeat and follow. Very few are innovators, such as Clarko. Most are overpaid sheep, who quickly disappear.

I don't know why we have such high expectations of them. Maybe it's because some people on here are pretty bright, see through the crap, wonder why simple strategies aren't implemented and how the same mistakes are repeated over and over again. It's simple really. They're nowhere near as smart as we think they are. For goodness sake, John Barker is touted as one of the next great coaches in the game. From personal experience, the guy can't fart and chew gum at the same time, but he's good, just ask him. A typical FIGJAM that the AFL industry breeds.

If you're any good at what you do, you don't waste your time in the AFL. You make your mark elsewhere and get duly rewarded. It's the gullible and the hopeful that keep AFL clubs like ours going. That's why these meltdowns we have occur. It's a small window of reality that shatters the myth that our club is competent. History and results indicate it's not. The fury rages temporarily, then settles, as the well of hope refills. The sychophants on here give me a good giggle. Nothing wrong with it, just stop preaching to the rest of us that things are ok. They are not. We're 11th in the fourth year of a rebuild. Let that sink in for a moment. 11th. That's reality, something a club like ours wants you to ignore. Pleasing.
Interesting post.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

A mediocre year
A mediocre team with a mediocre coach
A shake up is needed so that next year doesn't continue our mediocre rise to the middle .

In red white and black from 73
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Just a suggestion. Anyone can invest as much or as little into the Saints as you like in life.

Its still just a sport. Not life or death stuff in our life cycles. I'll always enjoy following the Saints win or lose. Top or bottom of the ladder until I can't see or hear properly in a retirement village.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Darth Vader
Club Player

I love the meltdowns. Very entertaining and the only tolerable part of a loss.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:I always watch with interest when reality hits the site, as it most certainly did yesterday. The so-called meltdowns that our frowned upon by the usual suspects, our self appointed moral and intellectual superiors, apparently get a giggle and schadenfreude from peoples' suffering. Strange individuals, but I digress. For the rest of us, yesterday drove home how ordinary we really are, and after years of pain and suffering, and 51 years without a flag, we are faced with yet another year of failure and disappointment. The "melt downers" have every right to be angry. This club has sold us yet another pup. As if losing one of the best coaches in the business and replacing him with a complete muppet wasn't bad enough, we are now stuck with a merry band of Clouseaux who after four years, still couldn't find a clown in a circus. Anyone with half a brain, who puts their time, effort, emotion and money into this cause should be angry. Imagine if this club was responsible for your super, or savings and consistently let you down, year after year.

Nice meltdown. The whole football world should change now and everything should be ok for us next year because you told it like it is. At least you had the balls to admit you are angry.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I'm melted

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Fourth year of a rebuild? I'd say it's the fifth year.

I reckon Watters' second year was the first year. Wasn't that
the year that the genius recruiters brought us Tom Lee, Spencer White, Brodie Murdoch and
Trent Dennis-Lane?

Five years later and we're going to need to spend big dollars to land good players
from other clubs just to have a chance of making the top eight in 2018.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Oh well, at least we won't be paying through our noses for finals tickets. I think I was living off 2 minute noodles for a while after the Septembers of 2009 and 2010.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Stay positive White Winmar wherever you now are.

It will be pleasing next year.

The Mañana Saints

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Stay positive White Winmar wherever you now are.

It will be pleasing next year.

All we need is a win against Norf and we will definitely finish above the Hawks. What an achievement!

The Mañana Saints

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

I suspect the majority of clubs' supporters react the same way when their team fails as badly as ours has done in 2017 and GPsHeadband's assessment of Sainters/the Saints in general is hard or me to deny. The marketing slogan on the website is building something special that no other club has (no premiership for 50 plus years?). I am going to distil all the sound advice from this forum and simply try to recalibrate my expectations down and hope the weight of low draft picks will cause improvement and that there are new "high performance", recruitment and line coaches appointed; and the Board makes a few good decisions and sponsors hang tough. That's a hatful of hope of course. The lack of innovation and responsiveness in the face of predictable game day failures is so enervating if you invest too much emotionally. I remember(in the good old bad days) a match against Sydney when G. Thomas conceded a loss and coached to limit the damage, it was not pretty but it was gripping and we drew after player Wolfe kicked a point when he and player Baker had an open goal in front of them and played polite squirrels over who would kick it. I am so distracted by sound and light even if we lose but same old same old is well, boring. Geary to the centre, Steele back pocket, Carslile to Full Back, Goddard, McCartin, Battle and Marshall to be picked for half a season guaranteed, Membrey to half forward flank, find a tall fast winger, Interchange Bruce, Draft pick 7, Draft Pick 8, Rice.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Great post.

People are so sensitive particularly when you destroy their illusions.

There was no excuse for that first quarter.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I don't agree with the 'they let me down' bit.

I've always said, that the achievements of 22 strangers that are 10-20 years younger than me, is nothing to hang my hat on.

If a footy club winning improved my life - then I need to have a good look at myself. It's like watching a sad movie - you might tear up, but if you haven't moved on within 5 minutes of leaving the cinema then you've got issues.

It's a movie. You have zero control over the outcome. None.

Don't hang your hat on something that you have no say in. It's the definition of futile.

I'd also add, that too much emphasis is put on winning in the AFL. Every time someone wins, someone else loses. In many cases, it's luck that determines the end result.

But....the s*** the people at the Saints are dishing up deserves every bit of criticism it gets. And those producing it for the past 4-5 years cannot be defended. Nor do they deserve to be simply because they work for a club that you support. If anything, that should make them even more accountable!

In terms of the 'meltdown' thing. I understand what you're saying. It's like having s*** friends that you know are not good for you, but you 'stick fat' because you're taught that that's what you're supposed to do. But eventually, the penny drops and you realise you need to cut ties.

There's nothing wrong with burning Toxic friendships. And you should not feel guilty for doing so.
Last edited by Johnny Member on Tue 15 Aug 2017 8:18am, edited 3 times in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:

Nice meltdown. The whole football world should change now and everything should be ok for us next year because you told it like it is. At least you had the balls to admit you are angry.
What a stupid response.

It's not a meltdown; it's called the truth.

Too bad for you if you don't like it but that's the way it is.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:I don't agree with the 'they let me down' bit.

I've always said, that the achievements of 22 strangers that are 10-20 years younger than me, is nothing to hang my hat on.

If a footy winning club winning improved my life - then I need to have a good look at myself. It's like watching a sad movie - you might tear up, but if you haven't moved on within 5 minutes of leaving the cinema then you've got issues.

Don't hang your hat and on something that you have no say in. It's the definition of futile.

I'd also add, that too much emphasis is put on winning in the AFL. Every time someone wins, someone else loses. In many cases, it's luck that determines the end result.

But....the s*** the people at the Saints are dishing up deserves every bit of criticism it gets. And those producing it for the past 4-5 years cannot be defended. Nor do they deserve to be simply because they work for a club that you support. If anything, that should make them even more accountable!

In terms of the 'meltdown' thing. I understand what you're saying. It's like having s*** friends that you know are not good for you, but you 'stick fat' because you're taught that that's what you're supposed to do. But eventually, the penny drops and you realise you need to cut ties.

There's nothing wrong with burning Toxic friendships. And you should not feel guilty for doing so.
Brilliant and true.

You've just destroyed a few myths and illusions, Johnny.

It is very futile to live your life through your football team. It's sad actually.

spert
Saintsational Legend

After all these years of following the Saints through endless disappointments, I get really jack of the old "rebuild" comfort excuse when we once again blow a season due to various failures. We have been rebuilding since the last premiership...and it hasn't worked.

The club and supporters need to call a fail when it's a fail, and not fall back onto endless excuses.

If it was a typical business, there would have been a major flush of personnel at this stage.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

What a bunch of marshmallows. You all knew what you signed on for. There is no hiding our history. Wipe your eyes, blow your noses and get on with yourself. Even if you did get a flag you'd be sooking the year after. Ffs. Pussies.

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:I don't agree with the 'they let me down' bit.

If a footy winning club winning improved my life - then I need to have a good look at myself. It's like watching a sad movie - you might tear up, but if you haven't moved on within 5 minutes of leaving the cinema then you've got issues.

Don't hang your hat and on something that you have no say in. It's the definition of futile.

Brilliant and true.

You've just destroyed a few myths and illusions, Johnny.

It is very futile to live your life through your football team. It's sad actually.
It's funny that you say people living through their football team is sad, seeing as all this negativity and calls for complete a complete rebuild is born from people getting too invested in a team

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:What a bunch of marshmallows. You all knew what you signed on for. There is no hiding our history. Wipe your eyes, blow your noses and get on with yourself. Even if you did get a flag you'd be sooking the year after. Ffs. Pussies.
?

Do you think it's tough and brave not to question mismangement at a multi-million dollar organisation?

You're such a trooper.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Proph3t of egan wrote: It's funny that you say people living through their football team is sad, seeing as all this negativity and calls for complete a complete rebuild is born from people getting too invested in a team
That's incredibly naive.

And as I said in another post - it says more about you than it does about others.

The fact that people objectively criticising the performance of people at an organisation, and their abilities to do their role is instantly pigeon-holed by yourself and others such as QSAINT as a 'meltdown', is laughable.

You need to take your duffle coat off, tear down the posters on your wall of your heroes and grow up. Just because you are massive fan bois that 'support the boys no matter what', does not mean that everyone else is as emotional crippled. Others can consume the product from an entirely different perspective.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

CQ SAINT wrote:What a bunch of marshmallows. You all knew what you signed on for. There is no hiding our history. Wipe your eyes, blow your noses and get on with yourself. Even if you did get a flag you'd be sooking the year after. Ffs. Pussies.
This man (or woman) gets it. Harden the f*** up princess !!!

When the day comes that we hold up our second cup, supporters like you will enjoy, but not deserve, the euphoria it brings. Why won't you deserve it? Because when we were struggling through for various reasons during our rebuild and doing it tough, you were on here covered in sackcloth and ashes, wailing and moaning "woe is me, my footy team lost some games", throwing a pseudo-intellectual tanty like a toddler in a supermarket......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:

When the day comes that we hold up our second cup, supporters like you will enjoy, but not deserve, the euphoria it brings. Why won't you deserve it? Because when we were struggling through for various reasons during our rebuild and doing it tough, you were on here covered in sackcloth and ashes, wailing and moaning "woe is me, my footy team lost some games", throwing a pseudo-intellectual tanty like a toddler in a supermarket......
You seriously would feel 'euphoria' at the achievements of 22 strangers?

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
True Believer wrote:

You seriously would feel 'euphoria' at the achievements of 22 strangers?
Have you ever watched a GF, Johnny? People tend to share in the euphoria.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
?

Do you think it's tough and brave not to question mismangement at a multi-million dollar organisation?

You're such a trooper.
Its a game Johnny. One I have enjoyed all my life.

I have no duffle coat and the only poster I have is from 1966. I have a large collection of memorabilia collected over 4 generations. I am a member of our club and support our team every week. It is very simple.

I have no control over how successful we are or who it is that is paid to serve the club as coach, player or administrator. I would love the Saints to win a flag but I do not lose sleep or make public declarations of discontent if another team is better than ours.

This is the premise for my difference of opinion to you.

I think your commentary on Sunday was childish and I was amused that you ran to your keyboard after 30 minutes of a game. You have insisted ever since that you are not emotional about the teams performance and I truly believe that you truly believe that.

Your plight is very complex and you seem to be very keen to disassociate yourself from any emotional investment in our team and have apparently been doing that for 11 years.

Good luck and take care of yourself and those aroind you.

Enjoy not enjoying this.