Composure

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cps
Club Player

Composure

HI Folks,

I posted recently that I was a bit concerned about our onfield leadership and in particular, the lack of an onfield "organiser". The lack of composure demonstrated in the first quarter today highlighted this to me again. With no Riewoldt, Montagna or Amitage we really need some of the next generation to step up and show composure when the heat is on. The first quarter today was like a mini-final and showed that we are lacking "cool heads" that can execute when the stakes are high.

Thoughts?

Cheers!

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Re: Composure

Jordan Lewis for Dees prime example of this today in what we lacked.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
loris
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:Jordan Lewis for Dees prime example of this today what we lacked.
Spot on. In that first quarter, he & Nathan Jones were very dominant in organising play for the Demons. Go back & watch the replay folks. It's most notable.

elizabethr
Club Player

Totally agree.

nothing to say
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Should the Saints go for an older bloke next year in his late 20's like a J. Lewis type?
Everyone else seems to be doing it.
I'm convinced that N. Brown with his expierence and leadership has helped our backline alot this year in organising and making it gel better every game.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Good post. It was the same in the dying stages of the Port Adelaide game.

Our leadership group has unfortunately not developed like the club would have hoped this year. Riewoldt, Montagna and Dempster came out of the group, no one has stepped up to replace them.

I was confident Jack Newnes would be one to step up, and while his consistent footy continues (although yesterday wasn't great), his leadership doesn't appear to have improved.

As for the rest of the group, enough has been said about Weller, Jack Steven has hit a low and offers little in terms of on-field leadership, Ross has been good but like Steven he doesn't seem a natural leader, and Armo can't get on the park.

That leaves just the skipper as the only genuine leader in the leadership group. Gears bleeds for the club but there's a limit to the influence and control you can have from a lock down back pocket role.

Next season there must be changes to the leadership group. Carlisle is a no brainer and in my opinion should be a clear vice captain. Roberton, Billings and Membrey are others who seem lead well.

The best leader St Kilda had yesterday was once again Sam Gilbert. With Roo and most likely Joey gone in 2018, Gilbert must play on.

The Peanut
Club Player

Beno88 wrote:Good post. It was the same in the dying stages of the Port Adelaide game.

Our leadership group has unfortunately not developed like the club would have hoped this year. Riewoldt, Montagna and Dempster came out of the group, no one has stepped up to replace them.

I was confident Jack Newnes would be one to step up, and while his consistent footy continues (although yesterday wasn't great), his leadership doesn't appear to have improved.

As for the rest of the group, enough has been said about Weller, Jack Steven has hit a low and offers little in terms of on-field leadership, Ross has been good but like Steven he doesn't seem a natural leader, and Armo can't get on the park.

That leaves just the skipper as the only genuine leader in the leadership group. Gears bleeds for the club but there's a limit to the influence and control you can have from a lock down back pocket role.

Next season there must be changes to the leadership group. Carlisle is a no brainer and in my opinion should be a clear vice captain. Roberton, Billings and Membrey are others who seem lead well.

The best leader St Kilda had yesterday was once again Sam Gilbert. With Roo and most likely Joey gone in 2018, Gilbert must play on.
Agree

CarlD
Club Player

The Saints just did not settle in the first quarter. Both teams were a shambles in the first few minutes but Melbourne recovered their senses while the Saints played like the weight of the world was on their shoulders.

Seb Ross usually looks to be able to create the time and space to make a play but even he yesterday was caught up in the "just get rid of it" syndrome.

It appeared that the match had been built up as "THE" match to win and that the Saints were over-hyped. Definitely required team leaders to take charge but sadly that didn't happen or didn't show.