Op Keep Mav Weller

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Op Keep Mav Weller

Is he contracted for next year and 2019?
He will remain a Saint so people need to deal with it if you're a hater.

Something wasn't and still isn't right with his body. Pretty sure his early ankle injury has played havoc with his form and fitness. To compete week in and week out in the elite AFL system is very hard if your body isn't 95 to 100% right. Pretty sure Jack Steven's lung has really effected his performance this year too as another example. Anyone that has played any kind of sport has expierenced this at some point. Its so bloody, bloody, bloody hard to be consistent and capture your best form.

Does he need to go back to being a run with mid like when first started with the Saints? I'm not convinced playing as a HF full time is his best position. Its not working.

He was a good pickup when he first came to the Saints and deserves another crack to get back to his best in 2018.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
David-Lee
Club Player

Re: Op Keep Mav Weller

He has regressed in areas this year and copped it on here but I too have given him a pass due to his injury he has carried. I do hope he can gain some confidence back. He seems to have lost that growl that came from knowing he would get the ball, take a mark, land a tackle and kick a goal.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

How can we bag Weller?

Seriously, if he's in the team because the coach wants hom to be 'strong' and 'solid', and bring 'pressure' and spit his words out like's verbally constipated - then don't bag the player. The poor bloke is doing what he's asked to do. He's probably walking out there each week thinking 'f*** me, Ok, I'm going to run around and get in people's way all day for $300k a year. Whatever. That's what the boss wants.'

Don't blame him.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Both good posts.

Truth is that Richo and co may want him playing a certain
role within the team. We aren't privy to that of course. His injury hasn't helped.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I think when you have a vacuum of talent for a number of years like we have then your expectations are lowered.

The reality is mavs numbers this year are basically identical to his last three years. Same amount of kicks and handballs, slightly less tackles, slightly more marks. Goal kicking down.

But this is it, this is Mav, just a GOP that people on here talk up as being elite.

8 kicks, 8 handballs, 4 marks, 3 tackles, a couple of shots on goal.

He's certainly not good enough to play midfield, Steele & Stevens are absolutely miles ahead as defensive mids.

Mav is someone we need to replace in the side if we are going to improve. Someone needs to tap Richo on the shoulder.
Last edited by dragit on Sun 13 Aug 2017 11:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Only contracted for one more year.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-12-1 ... n-maverick

It seems odd that he is injured but played two weeks in a row in the VFL.

Why not rest him?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:Both good posts.

role within the team. We aren't privy to that of course. His injury hasn't helped.
Oh the old 'secret role' furphy.
Give me a break.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Are you privy to information regarding this then? Its clear they want him playing as a hf full time but is there more to his role each week? I have no idea what it is or if it exists as not a coach at Seaford.

If he has an ordinary year next year he may be in trouble. If someone takes his place in the side next year that is better then so be it. Time will tell.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Sometimes champions can play injured.
Neither Weller or Steven are anywhere near champions!

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Injury, role, ability or form, not matter what the excuse, Mav is not performing anywhere near the required level for AFL football.

Our team is void of leadership at the moment and you only need to look at the form of some of the guys in the leadership group to understand why.

older saint
SS Life Member

Tend to think he is carrying an injury and therefore probably should have been rested. With Roo out they probably felt they needed leadership in the front half.

Expect Lonie in this week for him .

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:Injury, role, ability or form, not matter what the excuse, Mav is not performing anywhere near the required level for AFL football.

Our team is void of leadership at the moment and you only need to look at the form of some of the guys in the leadership group to understand why.

Disagree.

If the coach wants him to stand in the forward pocket doing handstands with no pants on - that's what he needs to do.

If he's doing it, he'll get a game.

And clearly, whatever he's being asked to do by the coach - he's doing it well enough to get a game every week.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Give me a break.
It's not a furphy.

It's a fact that coaches ask players to do certain things.

We are never privy to what it is that they're being asked to do. The only we can ever get an inkling - is if the bloke keeps getting a game.

And Weller is getting a game. So whatever it is that the coach is asking of him, he's obviously been doing it.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

No knock on you parkey but if I never read the sentence again in my life it'll still be too late

The endless conversations in 2010 about how Mini's 12 possessions a game were fantastic and his 'role' was to 'guard space' represents the most traumatic (in a football sense) era of my life

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

skeptic wrote:

No knock on you parkey but if I never read the sentence again in my life it'll still be too late

The endless conversations in 2010 about how Mini's 12 possessions a game were fantastic and his 'role' was to 'guard space' represents the most traumatic (in a football sense) era of my life
Nice work. 'Role player'
They have NO place in any sort of football. Ever.
An AFL player needs a large skill set and ability to execute.
Role player my bunghole

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Give me a break.
It's not a furphy.

It's a fact that coaches ask players to do certain things.

We are never privy to what it is that they're being asked to do. The only we can ever get an inkling - is if the bloke keeps getting a game.

And Weller is getting a game. So whatever it is that the coach is asking of him, he's obviously been doing it.
So Parkey is 'not privy' to the inside secret 'role' but IS privy to inside injury information?

Right.

From what I can see - Mav missed a game in Rd 16 with injury and then played Rd 17 and Rd 18 in the VFL. So that means he aint injured as far as I am concerned.

Add to that - what kind of secret 'role' involves the coach telling you to kick points (10.18 this season) and constantly make horrible decisions with ball in hand by refusing to pass to the best option when a team-mate is in the clear? What secret 'role' tells you to hold the ball up and get camera time rather than pass to a team mate in a better position or for a clear team goal?

What is the secret 'role' that tells you not to tackle?

Give me a break.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Like Mav you might need to realign your body to the 7 chakras.

Mav had an ordinary year this year. But he is a role player in the team as a full time HF. Its quite obvious.
Hopefully he's over the 2017 injury for the start of 2018.

Darth Vader
Club Player

Players play injured all the time without supporters knowing about it (or the full extent). Armo last year, Jacky-boy and Mav this year, Robbo a few years ago. And it affects their performance. Coaches still play them because they're often still better than the next player down the line. Mav's no different with the injury but probably not better than the next player down. From the outside it looks like he should've had a rest or surgery but we don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

I agree, let's drop Weller and bring line back in because it's obvious everyone wants that to happen

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Darth Vader wrote:Players play injured all the time without supporters knowing about it (or the full extent). Armo last year, Jacky-boy and Mav this year, Robbo a few years ago. And it affects their performance. Coaches still play them because they're often still better than the next player down the line. Mav's no different with the injury but probably not better than the next player down. From the outside it looks like he should've had a rest or surgery but we don't know what goes on behind the scenes.
Thank you. Apparantly some on here know more than the coaches, physios and docs that run the club and what they decide or happens behind closed doors. Must be tarot readers.

I linked a pic for Con so he can print it out for his bedroom wall.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:Players play injured all the time without supporters knowing about it (or the full extent). Armo last year, Jacky-boy and Mav this year, Robbo a few years ago. And it affects their performance. Coaches still play them because they're often still better than the next player down the line. Mav's no different with the injury but probably not better than the next player down. From the outside it looks like he should've had a rest or surgery but we don't know what goes on behind the scenes.
Thank you. Apparantly some on here know more than the coaches, physios and docs that run the club and what they decide or happens behind closed doors. Must be tarot readers.

I linked a pic for Con so he can print it out for his bedroom wall.
Mate you are the only one claiming inside knowledge on injuries.
As far as I am concerned if he was playing both VFL and AFL then he definitely wasn't injured. Simple as that.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:Like Mav you might need to realign your body to the 7 chakras.

Mav had an ordinary year this year. But he is a role player in the team as a full time HF. Its quite obvious.
So he is a permanent half fwd who doesn't kick goals, set up goals, pass to team mates, take marks or tackle.

Can you tell me an equivalent player in the AFL to compare him to?

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:Like Mav you might need to realign your body to the 7 chakras.

So he is a permanent half fwd who doesn't kick goals, set up goals, pass to team mates, take marks or tackle.

I don't have any inside knowledge on anything. Injuries or his position. Never claimed to. As I said, what the docs, coaches, etc. do is done for a reason. We won't always know and never will but its obvious they want him playing as a perm HF positon wise because that is where he's played 95% of the time for 2-3 years now. He gets named there every week.

This year was a bit of a stinker for him. Injuries didn't help. He would probably admit it himself and Richo said that just as much at some point.

Don't need to compare him to anyone. Let the bloke turn it around in 2018 and play wherever its best for the team.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

No way, Mav is unique.
He's a different cat, this guy.
Nobody else in the AFL can strut like him with the chest puffed out.

We need to look at the VFL to find someone who is similarly deluded and in love with himself to the same extent.
Hey, maybe he delivers big numbers of "Pressure Points" - that's a very important stat, and we aren't aware what it means,
but the experts measure it and give it a high weighting!
Lonie always tallies big pressure points, so it's a wonderful barometer for excellence.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

I don't have any inside knowledge on anything. Injuries or his position. Never claimed to. As I said, what the docs, coaches, etc. do is done for a reason. We won't always know and never will but its obvious they want him playing as a perm HF positon wise because that is where he's played 95% of the time for 2-3 years now. He gets named there every week.

This year was a bit of a stinker for him. Injuries didn't help. He would probably admit it himself and Richo said that just as much at some point.

Don't need to compare him to anyone. Let the bloke turn it around in 2018 and play wherever its best for the team.
I see his role in the team as the guy who drives to rookies homes and takes them to training (some of them might not drive yet)
and on-field, he can deliver messages to players. He'd look good in pink, he can even grow the hair again and wear a man-bun.