The good news

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint6709
Club Player

The good news

I'm over it this year and looking forward to not putting a weekend afternoon aside for the saints - although I will miss it !! But we are clearly not up to it this year so probably a good thing to start the re group a bit early and pick up a draft position or 2 .

But more specifically I thought the good news today was that although we played our worst footy of the year we nearly stole the game back (could not mark or kick or cleanly handle the ball - it was incredible to watch how bad we were ) it was a day when nearly every bounce went the oppositions way and our mess ups were comical - although they clearly smashed us WE STILL nearly got up I think if we can bring our good footy next year we will be right up there .

In terms of players -
Number 1 positive for me was Longer - I have not been a fan because I think he has ( until the last few weeks ) given us nothing in general play - this week he did a number of things - strong mark, a couple of great handballs , defensive punch etc - outplayed arguably the best ruck in the comp ( before today I thought that apart from Kelly we needed a KPD and possibly a ruck- I now think Billy will be the man going forward so no need to look for a ruck )
Number 2 positive Biilings - I didn't see the hit but he played with 1 eye for most if the match and was still our best -- so for me Longer and Billings manned up today which has got to be good for next year ..
Number 3 positive was Dunstan - a few months ago I thought he was heading for trade bait territory- last few weeks he has been great

Now looking forward to next year !!

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Re: The good news

saint6709 wrote:I'm over it this year and looking forward to not putting a weekend afternoon aside for the saints - although I will miss it !! But we are clearly not up to it this year so probably a good thing to start the re group a bit early and pick up a draft position or 2 .

But more specifically I thought the good news today was that although we played our worst footy of the year we nearly stole the game back (could not mark or kick or cleanly handle the ball - it was incredible to watch how bad we were ) it was a day when nearly every bounce went the oppositions way and our mess ups were comical - although they clearly smashed us WE STILL nearly got up I think if we can bring our good footy next year we will be right up there .

In terms of players -
Number 1 positive for me was Longer - I have not been a fan because I think he has ( until the last few weeks ) given us nothing in general play - this week he did a number of things - strong mark, a couple of great handballs , defensive punch etc - outplayed arguably the best ruck in the comp ( before today I thought that apart from Kelly we needed a KPD and possibly a ruck- I now think Billy will be the man going forward so no need to look for a ruck )
Number 2 positive Biilings - I didn't see the hit but he played with 1 eye for most if the match and was still our best -- so for me Longer and Billings manned up today which has got to be good for next year ..
Number 3 positive was Dunstan - a few months ago I thought he was heading for trade bait territory- last few weeks he has been great

Now looking forward to next year !!
Fair calls on both Billy and Jack, 6709. I thought Billy was great - the bloke works so hard. And, when Gawn pushed forward, Billy went with him. The stats also suggest, in line with basic watching of the game, that Billy out rucked Gawn, too - if only the blokes on the deck had been on the same page as the big man.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Jack still butchers it.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

I only saw the first half because I had to go to work - but Billy was sensational, and I have been a huge critic. He was enormous when we needed him to be.

As for JB - I am rapt with his ability to find the pill. The kid has serious ability. He simply needs to use it better. When we recruited him I don't think any of us expected to be saying that. Having said that I'm really pleased at how he's going once he cleans that up. I'd rather have concerns over that than an inability to find the ball. We all know he has skill - just use it son!

Thought Gilbo tried really hard in the first half. Thought Gears tried hard and Carlisle. After that I ran out of positives - obviously the 3rd quarter was much better though which I couldn't believe I missed... :x

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

With all due respect - Longer is not sensational.

He's just not as deplorable as everyone thought he would be. Nothing more.

That's not intended as a whack on him either.

I think it's more of an indication of where the fans are at in terms of their desperation to be honest.

The reason we were slaughtered in the first half was because centre clearances were about 600 to 1. Longer just gives absolutely nothing. He tries - but gee whiz he's ordinary.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:With all due respect - Longer is not sensational.

That's not intended as whack on him either.

I think it's more of an indication of where the fans are it in terms of their desperation to be honest.

Nope. Don't agree. He was great today. Contested really hard and took some great grabs. Won the ruck easily against one of if not the best ruck in the comp. I didn't say he IS sensational, I said he was sensational.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Dude, he took 1 mark.

1 FFS.

Crossy66
Club Player

That's not intended as a whack on him either.

I think it's more of an indication of where the fans are at in terms of their desperation to be honest.

The reason we were slaughtered in the first half was because centre clearances were about 600 to 1. Longer just gives absolutely nothing. He tries - but gee whiz he's ordinary.
ight just be the dumbest post for the day, although there is still a few hours to go

stonecold
SS Life Member

Moods wrote:

That's not intended as whack on him either.

I think it's more of an indication of where the fans are it in terms of their desperation to be honest.

Nope. Don't agree. He was great today. Contested really hard and took some great grabs. Won the ruck easily against one of if not the best ruck in the comp. I didn't say he IS sensational, I said he was sensational.
Credit to you Moods, your catching up faster than some, well done,.no more Humble Pie needed for you!!!!! ;-)

Johnny, your slice is waiting, the Longer you wait, the bitter it becomes!!!!! ;-)

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

so we eat Humble Pie,
which no Longer has any flavour,
while a Dees fan wearing a funny Gilligan ha, sits eating smashed avo and cheese platter (with a nice big salmon smuggled in his Gucci back-pack)

Just shows where the Saints are.
We drive to Aldi supermarket in our clapped-out 1997 Commodores
Dees drive to a deli in Balaclava, in a 2017 Volvo

Such is our lot in life :shock: :roll: :oops:

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

JB had a black eye so let him off re goal kicking.

He will get close to winning the Brownlow next year IMO with goal kicking sorted.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

carlisle .. saved our arse so many times.

dals_da_bomb
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:so we eat Humble Pie,
which no Longer has any flavour,
while a Dees fan wearing a funny Gilligan ha, sits eating smashed avo and cheese platter (with a nice big salmon smuggled in his Gucci back-pack)

Just shows where the Saints are.
We drive to Aldi supermarket in our clapped-out 1997 Commodores
Dees drive to a deli in Balaclava, in a 2017 Volvo

Such is our lot in life :shock: :roll: :oops:
You are wrong.
Ive got a Nissian Xtrail - a new one - and i drive to 'Woolies!'
*in my uggs

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.