Ok, Serious Coaching Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ok, Serious Coaching Thread

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
Pressure?? I've felt more pressure trying to take a turd without making too much noise when the cubicle next to me has someone in it.

:D :D :D

Not enough toilet humour on here.
"Take" a turd? :? :shock: maybe time to give your diet a review Con? :lol: :lol: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Turd burgling, JM? Not that there's anything wrong with that, is there?

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

We need to win a final next year. I don't think that is setting the bar too high. We've got some seriously talented young guys imo discussed in the best young player thread.

These are guys who have played fewer than 50 games - Sinclair, Gresham, Acres, Steele.

The problem all season was converting effort into scoreboard pressure. So often we dominated for long periods with nothing to show for it except points.

Kicking for goal needs to be a major focus in the off-season. Composure? Hopefully that will come with more experience and confidence.

I don't think we're as far off as many seem to think even though yesterday was disappointing.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:I'll introduce a little controversy: when Roo hurt his knee earlier this year, the coaching panel threw the near 2 year strategy out the window - in '15, all said Roo would play well up the ground, 'mid' in fact (and he even said himself he found it new to be coached among the midfield group - even said he struggled with some of the 'mid talk').

Yet, when he got the knock to his knee, out went the whole strategy - back to Roo as the 'go to guy' forward.

'Lurv' Roo, but he ruled to the detriment of the side's development. Yeah, it was great v Rance, but otherwise? We stalled, big time.

And, it contributed to the stalling of McCartin's progress, and I call that appalling resource management.... and weak.

I'm glad someone had the balls to say this. It was a massive elephant in the room when the wins were there for the taking in the first half of the season.

They should have made Rooey sit it out until he was fit to resume his midfield role.

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:I'll introduce a little controversy: when Roo hurt his knee earlier this year, the coaching panel threw the near 2 year strategy out the window - in '15, all said Roo would play well up the ground, 'mid' in fact (and he even said himself he found it new to be coached among the midfield group - even said he struggled with some of the 'mid talk').

Yet, when he got the knock to his knee, out went the whole strategy - back to Roo as the 'go to guy' forward.

'Lurv' Roo, but he ruled to the detriment of the side's development. Yeah, it was great v Rance, but otherwise? We stalled, big time.

And, it contributed to the stalling of McCartin's progress, and I call that appalling resource management.... and weak.

I'm glad someone had the balls to say this. It was a massive elephant in the room when the wins were there for the taking in the first half of the season.

They should have made Rooey sit it out until he was fit to resume his midfield role.
the question is would he ever have been ready to go back to his midfield role?

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Proph3t of egan wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Who knows? He never gave the injury a chance to heal, insisting on playing on one leg,

I can see the club's dilemma. You are talking about Rooey after all. But I agree with ToT that it set back our season badly from the outset.

Maybe if he'd given it some time to heal he'd have been able to go around again next season in the midfield. Have you considered that?

Ellaandjohn
Club Player

I would sack richo. Sacking coaches has worked in our past history

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

takeaway
Club Player

2 year extension shortly?

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Kingsley ....could he be a chance to coach gold coast

saint4life
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:Kingsley ....could he be a chance to coach gold coast
Based on what grounds?

No chance.

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
Proph3t of egan wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Who knows? He never gave the injury a chance to heal, insisting on playing on one leg,

I can see the club's dilemma. You are talking about Rooey after all. But I agree with ToT that it set back our season badly from the outset.

Maybe if he'd given it some time to heal he'd have been able to go around again next season in the midfield. Have you considered that?
to be honest i reckon Rooey knw as soon as he went down in that melbourne game that he would retire at the end of the year, it was just one knock too many. why else would he insist on playing if he could just go around next year?

not that i have any idea of what goes on in hs head

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

I Agree with most of this commentary - coaching has been generally poor! Little or no defence or setups, no capacity to get the ball cleared from the opposition goal line after a point, little forward pressure. Some genuinely good performances by the likes of Steele have kept us in some games but losses like the Essendon and Melbourne ones make me wonder if we are not going backwards.
It was a devastatingly bad coaching performance on Sunday and a terrible way to be bowled out of the comp, and the players showed confusion and lack of certainty about what to do.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:Kingsley ....could he be a chance to coach gold coast
I hope so. Maybe he can take a few of the assistants with him as well.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Good thread
Richo won't go now
But if he doesn't WIN a final with a team that's cohesion at least borders on AFL standard and that can also stand up and take its chances in front of goal when they present the he's gone.
2018 or bust Alan and I'd think a club review of all football and recruitment positions is in order
And no, GT won't be coming back Mehebabbles...

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Rhetoric question: What are the chances of the club conducting a thorough, honest and transparent review of the coaching and football department instead of d:cking long suffering supporters around?

Rhetoric answer: ZERO

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Zero chance of transparency to us but I'd be surprised if a review isn't done as code for assistants will move on to other opportunities, with appreciation etc. CEO mentioned the AR contract extension would be negotiated in a wider context which I take to broadly mean winning more games and not losing in embarrassingly (Adelaide, Sydney, Essendon, Melbourne come to mind) more than once a year. One of the main drivers of the extension may be to avoid the endless mindless speculation when coaches are in the final contract year, another being the lack of an obvious immediate alternative so I suspect there will be key performance clauses linked to full remuneration/tenure. And a requirement that Paddy play in the ones where the head is protected, except from T. Greene, rather than the twos where it is a target for scalp hunters (pun intended). I so hope they have got this right. AR is smart and zenned enough to know his best before date is just over the horizon and moving this way at the speed of the 2018 season.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Just the club trying to appear stable, though performance should be the only driver. I would hope the club ends the season on a high note with wins, as it has been a disappointing season in which we should have at least improved our ladder position of last year

Saints43
Club Player

Richo needs some more help.
Just not a strategist.
If that's the case then he shouldn't be the senior coach.
And I'm not disagreeing with you.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

One big concern I have is when tony keeps talking about how much of the game is played "between the ears" of the players, yet we consistently turn up not switched on and look lost.

Strategies aside, it's the coaches responsibility to ensure that the players are prepared every single week, at a professional level, you just can't afford to have every 2nd or 3rd off mentally, it's totally unacceptable and falls on the coach.

If we are carrying players that can't get motivated to perform the basics of effort once a week then they need to be moved on.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Skeptic listed ten flankers, and left out White Webster Philips Connellan. That is fourteen. Yes we have too many on our list.