Before anyone gets their knickers in a twist

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Before anyone gets their knickers in a twist

Yes. We lost. Yes we won't make finals. Yes I'm being a bit silly in my posts, but hey! Some are happy to indulge in agonising over the results of a football match, as is their right. I choose not to. Before anyone starts getting personal, may I just say this; " I'm only acting silly........... what's YOUR excuse?" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm signing off for this evening, enjoy the rest of your evening folks! Give it a few days, and I'll see you all NEXT week!

Go Saints!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Re: Before anyone gets their knickers in a twist

But I'm not wearing any underwear !

In red white and black from 73
suss
Club Player

The melts on here are unreal after a loss jiggster. Pretty bad on bf too though. Don't go anywhere, not even for a few days!

I reckon some people forget that we were stone cold last only a handful of years ago and we're still rebuilding. We probably overachieved a little last year and we belong where we are - on the cusp of finals.

We need a some injection of top-end talent, and we've positioned ourselves beautifully for that. Combined with some improvement across the board and I think we're going places.

The big, big question mark (on field) is paddy mccartin - he needs to become the big power forward we drafted him to be. If he does, then I reckon our plans are right on track.

The negative Nancy's will have nothing to shout about soon enough I reckon.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:The melts on here are unreal after a loss jiggster. Pretty bad on bf too though. Don't go anywhere, not even for a few days!

I reckon some people forget that we were stone cold last only a handful of years ago and we're still rebuilding. We probably overachieved a little last year and we belong where we are - on the cusp of finals.

We need a some injection of top-end talent, and we've positioned ourselves beautifully for that. Combined with some improvement across the board and I think we're going places.

The big, big question mark (on field) is paddy mccartin - he needs to become the big power forward we drafted him to be. If he does, then I reckon our plans are right on track.

They butchered McCartin's progress by bowing to Roo after he hurt his knee, again, earlier this year, and said he couldn't play as had been designed in '15, as a mid.

Even goddamn Paul Roos called us out, for not honouring McCartin's hard working leading late against the Dogs (I'm willing to be corrected on which opponent), and I believe we dropped him the next week.

The coaching and team management problems have been manifest for months.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
suss
Club Player

The OtherThommo wrote:
suss wrote:The melts on here are unreal after a loss jiggster. Pretty bad on bf too though. Don't go anywhere, not even for a few days!

They butchered McCartin's progress by bowing to Roo after he hurt his knee, again, earlier this year, and said he couldn't play as had been designed in '15, as a mid.

Even goddamn Paul Roos called us out, for not honouring McCartin's hard working leading late against the Dogs (I'm willing to be corrected on which opponent), and I believe we dropped him the next week.

Our coaching dept needs an overhaul - agree.

I don't understand why Richo hasn't put his stamp on it like you'd expect an incoming coach to do.

Hamill and Frawley seem like odd choices, years out of the game and possibly selected simply on the basis that they were past champions.

A clean out of assistants is needed.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

yep agree on the assistants. I would like to see hodge come as an assistant

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:

Agree with this.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

The OtherThommo wrote:

I'd have to agree, I'm not on the criticise Richo path, I think he's a good Coach, but he stuffed up on this. I believe it was McCartin's Adelaide game you speak of. He wasn't stellar, but solid and in the better half of our players that night. Then he gets dropped because of structure for Riewoldt's return.

If Riewoldt couldn't play midfield or across half back, then he should not have played at the expense of McCartin! Let's face it as a forward he was a shadow of himself, with the exception of the Richmond game when he found something.

There was nothing much for Paddy to learn at Sandy and in the end he just got injured playing for Sandy. Paddy could have/should have had 15-20 more AFL games under his belt (invaluable) going into 2018.

This whole notion of "one more time for Roo & Joey", was nostalgic 'feel good' fantasy and nothing to do with building a Premiership list. Richo was willing to throw the youngsters into battle at the begining, but was that stifled because of our Finals aspirations? An example, I'll go hee if Brandon White wasn't ready to play weeks ago.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:

Our coaching dept needs an overhaul - agree.

I don't understand why Richo hasn't put his stamp on it like you'd expect an incoming coach to do.

Hamill and Frawley seem like odd choices, years out of the game and possibly selected simply on the basis that they were past champions.

A clean out of assistants is needed.
What frustrates me no end is that we get carved up by young, inexperienced players.

We plan for the regular performers, but not for the lesser lights, and they get off the chain against us. It is almost like match day planning consists of looking over the notes taken the last time we met, and planning for those that got us last time. Next year we will plan for the likes of Callum Sinclair, Cam Pederson, Neal Bullen ??? and that Harmes kid - but not this year. It seems like lazy match day preparation. Look at the past performances - it is not the top 6 that get off the chain against us - it is the bottom 6, and if your bottom six is carving the opposition up - you are in a very healthy position.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Yes, can't disagree with that, colleague.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

All this thread is pretty good stuff from knowledgeable supporters and is demonstrable - what I don't get is why the people employed to coach and prepare appear so unaware (incapable?). As I tend to paranoia as far as the Saints go my lingering doubt is that egos, pet theories and hobby horses (one trick ponies) are trumping or derailing good decision making. Who is running the show, how are big picture team matters decided. I wonder if AR is ok at personal analysis and strong enough in executive meetings. I'd love to hear him give an honest report to supporters about this year - we won't be shocked into not renewing. Its unconditional Saints love Al.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:I'm not on the criticise Richo path, I think he's a good Coach...
Out of curiosity, why do you think that?

For the first 3 years I never felt I could make a judgement call either way. Various factors, led by a rubbish list made it too hard to tell if he was any good or not. It was even too difficult to understand what he was actually trying to do.

However this year, I think we've seen glimpses of his plan.

And I haven't liked it one bit.

Although he and everyone else at the club has been pathetic this season, I'm still not prepared to make a call either way on whether he's a good coach or not. But I certainly can categorically state that I haven't seen skerrick of evidence yet to suggest that IS a good coach.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:
What frustrates me no end is that we get carved up by young, inexperienced players.

We plan for the regular performers, but not for the lesser lights, and they get off the chain against us. It is almost like match day planning consists of looking over the notes taken the last time we met, and planning for those that got us last time. Next year we will plan for the likes of Callum Sinclair, Cam Pederson, Neal Bullen ??? and that Harmes kid - but not this year. It seems like lazy match day preparation. Look at the past performances - it is not the top 6 that get off the chain against us - it is the bottom 6, and if your bottom six is carving the opposition up - you are in a very healthy position.

I just get the overwhelming sense that no one on the ground knows what they're supposed to be doing.

There is no system. No understanding between each other.

They all look shocked when they get the ball, and even more puzzled as to what they're supposed to do with it once they get it.

Each week, it seriously looks as though a bunch of strangers have lobbed up and put on jumpers and are playing together for the first time. It's just appalling.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Johnny Member wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:I'm not on the criticise Richo path, I think he's a good Coach...
Out of curiosity, why do you think that?

For the first 3 years I never felt I could make a judgement call either way. Various factors, led by a rubbish list made it too hard to tell if he was any good or not. It was even too difficult to understand what he was actually trying to do.

However this year, I think we've seen glimpses of his plan.

And I haven't liked it one bit.

Although he and everyone else at the club has been pathetic this season, I'm still not prepared to make a call either way on whether he's a good coach or not. But I certainly can categorically state that I haven't seen skerrick of evidence yet to suggest that IS a good coach.
There's nothing wrong with his gameplan, it has seldom been executed properly and when it has, it has been devastating. It is a modern day version of the Leigh Matthews gameplan, which was no doubt influenced by John Kennedy and Allan Jeans gameplans, the sort that win deep in Finals. You actually don't want players that cannot do it, because you need players that don't murder the footy and importantly can compete one on one.

Our players just haven't learned it to the point of being instinctive, they still think too much and hopefully experience will rectify that.

Sitting in the Ponsford yesterday, it was all obvious in that first quarter. Winning the ball at the coalface then making bad unintuitive decisions. Running with the ball toward goals, you could see their minds ticking over, "should I kick it to him?, go for goal? Handball?" then a s*** indecisive kick to nowhere and a turn over. There is also bugger all leadership around the stoppages. Hence we sometimes get smashed in clearances and get what happened against Port in the last 19 seconds and that has little to do with Billy Longer.

Richo has proven to be cool and astute on gameday, not always but often enough. He has the respect of the playing group and has done a good job until now.

There is no evidence that there are issues with the Coach and I don't think the Coach is the issue. Its just where the List is at. We need more players getting to the 70-100 game mark and need to add cream to the midfield. Then we can judge Richo.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Johnny Member wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:

I just get the overwhelming sense that no one on the ground knows what they're supposed to be doing.

There is no system. No understanding between each other.

They all look shocked when they get the ball, and even more puzzled as to what they're supposed to do with it once they get it.

Each week, it seriously looks as though a bunch of strangers have lobbed up and put on jumpers and are playing together for the first time. It's just appalling.
Very nicely put.
There's only 3 games this year when the rabble actually played as a "team" and had a flowing, effective game style where everybody
appeared to know where to run, where to deliver the ball, and when to do all that.

Hawks game, and Maddie's Match, and to a lesser extent, Giants game.
They all hunted in numbers.

In the rest of the games, it was all panic, fumbles, rubbish disposal, crazy decisions, pull-the-hair-out moments all game.

Lots of "Oh, I'll kick it to him, even though he's got 2 opponents right nearby" and
2 of our guys going for a loose ball against an single oppo, and we still get beaten
because our guys spoil each other instead of working together.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee