Mav 15/1 ew _ I am a strong leader

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

I took the price on Mav 1st goal. He marks 40 out 45 degrees early when the tone is being set. I sit up - he passes to a Dee. Could you script it. Malcolm T saying I am a strong leader came to mind. 10 goals later (only 3 were from us) he crumbs beautifully and goals, bfd. He is appalling and the coaching that has him in the firsts is appalling. Someone influential in the selection committee must be in love with him, possibly because he is such a sharing guy - handball to WCs Hurn; followed up today by "I could goal at an important moment but I choose to give the moment to Melbourne". Fine but I don't think we should pay for that generosity. I am not really talking though my punting pocket its only money but the foolishness in team selection does make me wonder what are the driving principles. Can we try either Battle or Marshall or both as a) a CHF or b) a Mav substitute although I think both are too competent to be able to emulate him closely. As one of you so eloquently said... FFS. And don't mention Gresham....or the Coach again sincerely articulating the problems (we know them Al) when its solutions SOLUTIONS not rhetoric.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mav 15/1 ew _ I am a strong leader

Mav is a beneficiary of the old 'good bloke' selection policy.
I am sure the marketing department like him.
Little kids like him.
Ladies like his strut and rugged hunky looks.
He has a terrific name for a footballer.

He just can't play. He has also been well and truly guzzling his own bath water and image. Whenever he gets the ball (which isn't often) he makes the most of his time on camera to flex and strut in a huge circle like a horsey dressage champion. Meanwhile ignoring any team mate upfield in the clear.

If he gets the ball in regular play (also not very often) he runs backwards in a circle seeking out opposition players so he can try a bit of 'fancy footwork' and manages to ignore all team mates before then kicking a ball in the air to noone.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Con Gorozidis wrote:Mav is a beneficiary of the old 'good bloke' selection policy.
I am sure the marketing department like him.
Little kids like him.
Ladies like his strut and rugged hunky looks.
He has a terrific name for a footballer.

He just can't play. He has also been well and truly guzzling his own bath water and image. Whenever he gets the ball (which isn't often) he makes the most of his time on camera to flex and strut in a huge circle like a horsey dressage champion. Meanwhile ignoring any team mate upfield in the clear.
Does he still do the "Mav's World" silliness on the Saints' website? He truly believes his own publicity.
When they do post-game review, does he nod his head, but when he gets home, whines to his partner that they're all picking on him
and she tells him he is a Greek God, don't worry, they're just jealous

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

he was good last year

never trust a guy with his eyes too close together

i reckon this is the problem with this team, they're feeling too comfy with all the hot wind blown uo their skirts and waaay too complacent with the sweet $200K plus wicket they're all on, on field success? fulfilling our promise? nudging a flag?
waaay to far down in their priority list - show a bit here and there and we'll be right, just window dressing, footy by numbers - I'm seeing the "st kilda culture" i always vehemently disputed, actually materialising

these guys ate overpaid slouches and Mav exemplifies this - priorities elsewhere

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Fist pump HardSaint - respect mon!

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

HardSaint wrote:he was good last year

never trust a guy with his eyes too close together

i reckon this is the problem with this team, they're feeling too comfy with all the hot wind blown uo their skirts and waaay too complacent with the sweet $200K plus wicket they're all on, on field success? fulfilling our promise? nudging a flag?
waaay to far down in their priority list - show a bit here and there and we'll be right, just window dressing, footy by numbers - I'm seeing the "st kilda culture" i always vehemently disputed, actually materialising

these guys ate overpaid slouches and Mav exemplifies this - priorities elsewhere
"Saints Footy"? WTF is that, exactly?

As for "Mav's World", well.......

Still, he did flick the man bun, so that's good.

The less said about the criteria to 'earn' the way into the leadership group, the better.

By golly I wish we didn't keep getting sucked in to mediocrity. Mediocrity sucks.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
dals_da_bomb
Club Player

Have you not read my posts Yorkeys?

Ive put money on Mav for first goal (thanks to winning HEAPs on it last year) every available week - and almost every time ive done that his (insert colour language) me over.

Last week I did not and today i didnt because ive been trying to survive each hour with a hangover.

Im sorry your bet bust today.. but if he kicked that.. I dont know what i would of done but it would of been drastic.

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think there is too much focus on off-field 'boy scouts' stuff.
'Strong leader'
'Solid citizen'
"Good young man'
Richo is like a B grade scout leader with all this crap.

The reality is when push comes to shove - Carlisle is our most reliable bloke out on the park for the 2 hours a week that matter.
He is no choir boy off field but he can play footy.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I think there is too much focus on off-field 'boy scouts' stuff.
'Strong leader'
'Solid citizen'
"Good young man'
Richo is like a B grade scout leader with all this crap.

The reality is when push comes to shove - Carlisle is our most reliable bloke out on the park for the 2 hours a week that matter.
He is no choir boy off field but he can play footy.
Carlisle is the only real professional out there who actually cares about playing well
and brings his A-Game all the time.
The other numpties just drift in and out and play cameos, if things are going well, the downhill skiers come out

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Sobraz
SS Life Member

A lower level member of the coaching staff referred to him as a myth last year when we were chatting about Mav's rise up the ranks within the team.

I couldn't see it then, but this guy didn't believe the hype and didn't rate him at all but saw first hand how much Richo adored the guy.
So 'myth' wasn't a complimentary term as I first interpreted it, more a truer sense.
After this season I see why.
Same guy also assured me Josh Kelly will be a Saint one day. Didn't say when or how, was about this time last year, but did say he was sure someday it'll happen. Maybe right twice in the one season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:A lower level member of the coaching staff referred to him as a myth last year when we were chatting about Mav's rise up the ranks within the team.

I couldn't see it then, but this guy didn't believe the hype and didn't rate him at all but saw first hand how much Richo adored the guy.
So 'myth' wasn't a complimentary term as I first interpreted it, more a truer sense.
After this season I see why.
Same guy also assured me Josh Kelly will be a Saint one day. Didn't say when or how, was about this time last year, but did say he was sure someday it'll happen. Maybe right twice in the one season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is pretty interesting and also damning.

Hopefully he's right about Kelly too.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Richo didn't select Weller for the leadership group. Don't the players do that? They vote who is to go into the leadership group. The coaching panel only ratify it. It's the captain who the coaching group have more say over. That's the Leading Teams methodology, unless it's changed recently.

I can recall reading interviews on Saints.com with many of the new recruits to the team over the past few seasons all saying how Weller was so good in making them feel welcomed to the Club. He would invite them home for evening meals, go out for coffee with them etc. Mav was always available to assist them. It's only natural he would get a lot of support from new/younger players when they vote for players to be included in the leadership group.

It happens too often in supervisory and/or leadership positions, when 'democracy' reigns (especially if the majority of those having an input are very inexperienced) popularity might win over more credentialed individuals.

noddy04
Club Player

I Like Mav...hes been dissapointing a bit lately but he is trying. Maybe he welcomed new lads into the club because he knows what it was like leaving home at an early age and travelling to the mainland on his own and being thrust into a club that had a fair big "stars" in it. Gee people cut the guy some slack . He bleeds RED WHITE AND BLACk like us all. Get behind our guys instead of sinking the boots in at every chance you get. Ofcourse they get paid big money but hey they only really get a short window of opportunity to make the most of it. Mav is carrying a niggling injury but he puts his body on the line every weekend....unlike us. Support our guys please

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

noddy, Mav sets himself up as a superhero
He doesn't do any team things on the field.
Marks the ball inside 50, actually sees a great option closer to goal,
but waits until the Dees come up, and he kicks to another guy who is now covered.
What type of madness is this?
He is not like 2016, not like 2015 even.

What we are seeing, is the selfish egotistical Mav who was delisted by the Suns,
and we are seeing him now in all his true colours.
A pretender.
The Emperor is naked. His new clothes are fake

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:noddy, Mav sets himself up as a superhero
He doesn't do any team things on the field.
Marks the ball inside 50, actually sees a great option closer to goal,
but waits until the Dees come up, and he kicks to another guy who is now covered.
What type of madness is this?
He is not like 2016, not like 2015 even.

What we are seeing, is the selfish egotistical Mav who was delisted by the Suns,
and we are seeing him now in all his true colours.
A pretender.
The Emperor is naked. His new clothes are fake
Do you enjoy denigrating our players? why not keep to onfield performance rather than this personal sniping garbage?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
noddy04
Club Player

WS I Support ALL of my players and unlike some on here believe that on their day they can beat anyone. Like I said Mav is having a down period and tries his guts out. He will get out of ihis form slump and i hope its soon but FORTIUS QUO FIDELIS. I dont normally respond to the player put downs on here but fair dinkum a couple of you "keyboard warriors" just go on and on. A few months ago it was Gilbo. then it was Savage then it was Billings then it was someone else and so on and so on. All players go through a down patch in their careers even Ablett jnr. So what about cutting them some slack and actually support them rather than putting the boots in.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

noddy04 wrote:WS I Support ALL of my players and unlike some on here believe that on their day they can beat anyone. Like I said Mav is having a down period and tries his guts out. He will get out of ihis form slump and i hope its soon but FORTIUS QUO FIDELIS. I dont normally respond to the player put downs on here but fair dinkum a couple of you "keyboard warriors" just go on and on. A few months ago it was Gilbo. then it was Savage then it was Billings then it was someone else and so on and so on. All players go through a down patch in their careers even Ablett jnr. So what about cutting them some slack and actually support them rather than putting the boots in.
Junior footy players get points for effort, they are encouraged to try their best, regardless of the result. In fact, in most comps, scores are not tallied at all,
because it's all about participation.
Mav is not a junior footballer. If he struggles to collect more than 12 disposals, and can't tackle, and it's due to injury, he should get treatment so he can play
the way he did last year.
If it's injury, then why was he dropped, and not rested?

He still gets full match payments, even though he's operating at 60% of last year's output.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

noddy04 wrote:WS I Support ALL of my players and unlike some on here believe that on their day they can beat anyone. Like I said Mav is having a down period and tries his guts out. He will get out of ihis form slump and i hope its soon but FORTIUS QUO FIDELIS. I dont normally respond to the player put downs on here but fair dinkum a couple of you "keyboard warriors" just go on and on. A few months ago it was Gilbo. then it was Savage then it was Billings then it was someone else and so on and so on. All players go through a down patch in their careers even Ablett jnr. So what about cutting them some slack and actually support them rather than putting the boots in.
Agreed.

Every footballer at the Saints is flawed. So is every other player at every club. Players get unfairly nuked week in and week out by supporters on this site. One week they're duds that need to be delisted and 4 weeks later they're part of a future flag side.

For example: Some of the stuff written about Gresham on here is a joke. The poor kid is like 19 maybe and only in his 2nd season. Give him a chance to stabilise his career and play at least 50 or 75 games.

Maybe its because I played football once upon a time and understand I never had the ability or desire to make it on an AFL list. Maybe that is why I feel for the players sometimes and the s*** they cop. Its not their fault they get paid what they get paid and are so talented they wanted to personally make it in the top league.

I could guarantee that 99.9% of the people badly whacking these Saints players every week on this website couldn't have even handled a week of pre-season AFL training in their prime...let alone get drafted. Lol.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Name: Jade Gresham - intern Etihad Stadium, Saint Kilda wing. Voted player under 180cm most likely to succeed by Northern Knights. Hobbies Kicking for goal; plans: to be a professional footballer. Enjoys: listening to Saints Come Marching in say 10 times a year; witty banter with the crowd, my bank balance. Future study: inexplicable crowd reaction to kicking a ball through the big and little sticks, its like I scored, didn't I, mostly. Vision : to bring enlightenment to those untalented disadvantaged that never had the ability to be an intern and just lurk on level 2 during the weekends and shout stuff I am too young to understand. That preseason stuff sucks, but, you are so lucky you are not talented. ..

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Name: Jade Gresham - intern Etihad Stadium, Saint Kilda wing. Voted player under 180cm most likely to succeed by Northern Knights. Hobbies Kicking for goal; plans: to be a professional footballer. Enjoys: listening to Saints Come Marching in say 10 times a year; witty banter with the crowd, my bank balance. Future study: inexplicable crowd reaction to kicking a ball through the big and little sticks, its like I scored, didn't I, mostly. Vision : to bring enlightenment to those untalented disadvantaged that never had the ability to be an intern and just lurk on level 2 during the weekends and shout stuff I am too young to understand. That preseason stuff sucks, but, you are so lucky you are not talented. ..

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Vintage bluthy.