Where we are at and where we are going

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Where we are at and where we are going

Once again we have kicked more behinds and OOF than goals from our scoring shots. Les than 5-% is unacceptable and while apparently it is being worked on after training how many times in a game do you get to kick for goals and not be puffing hard. Whatever training techniques are being used for this are not working
Our field kicking is not up to scratch, and reality is we do not have an A grade player in our best 22. Our endeavour and effort is generally very good and ability to execute a plan seems to be above average in the league. In fact you could argue that this ability to execute has seen this group win more games than their actual talent provides.
That said based on age of list and number of games played by key players the upside is still positive.

Positives :
-Improvement in the following players due to either experience of more games or some change which saw the penny drop - Sinclair, Billings, Acres, Savage, Dunstan, Longer, Gresham, Webster , Ross - To me are all better than 12 months ago with their footy. All are of an age where they should continue to improve ( although all won't) meaning good things moving forward
- Development of Ross to a level of Steven ( A- grade mid )
- The ability to win interstate and compete
- Ability to beat some teams above us
- recruiting of Brown FA and Stevens
- Carlisle playing a season
- Freeman getting through a season of VFL footy

Negatives:
- Goal kicking - a bug bear or mine but has cost us a finals spot ( Wc, Port, even today , losses - let alone the missed % in wins)
- Stagnation or reduced output of players - Newness, Weller, Bruce, Hickey,
- Injury to Goddard - another missed opportunity to get experience
- McCartin and concussion
- Armitage injury - really don't appreciate how important he is to the midfield group
- Father time catching up with the great Roo

- Must throw kitchen sink , pots, pans and everything else at Kelly. We need an A grade player . Ross may develop into that, to me Jack Steven will always be an A- with A grade effort and work rate but B grade disposal, but we lack SILK. Will cost us 2 first rounds ( perhaps 1 this year 1 next ) but worth it. Look at the number of top 10 players Melbourne have compared to us. We are behind in regard to Skill.
- The continued development of players moving as a group to the 50+ game players.
- Active player in the market. Currently have too many ruckman and small forwards. Need a clean out and some may offer some later pick or steak knife value especially to teams with academy's. To me gone - Holmes, Pierce, Minghington, Demster, Roo, Montagna,
- Prediction - Membrey to develop into one of the best medium forwards in the league ) ala Gunston at Hawthorn in his prime).

Sure i missed heaps in above but some initial thoughts as i prepare t book my September holiday.