How has Gears played this year?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

How has Gears played this year?

Must say he hasn't stood out in many games but does a few nice things. I guess the captaincy is a big burden and seems to effect his play.

What do others think?

Has he played as well as last season or not?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: How has Gears played this year?

You can not usually judge a backman/line by what they do, rather than you must judge them on what they stop the opposition from doing. To my memory there have been very few times that any forwards have got off the leash against Geary and co.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Done a good serviceable job, but no star, though could be cleaner by foot when coming out of the backline.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

GOP? Geary has been more than useful this year. He'll grow into the role of Captain (BIG shoes to step into after all) and will be one of our best. THAT spoil against GWS and the manner in which he flew the flag against Carlton stand out to me as examples of his courage and leadership. Vital cog in the Saints machine!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
shrodes
SS Life Member

I had a look at some of the special Telstra stats in the AFL app during the Eagles game... Gears was on top for distance covered and highest average speed across that distance also.

I wonder if it's the same for all our games, in that he does gut running to get back and fill space / help out teammates?
If so, it's something that you probably don't notice that much, but vital especially for our backline.

stkfc1
Club Player

You dont have to be the best player on the team, you just have to be the best leader. Dont think Maxwell for the pies or Harley for the cats were their greatest players but they obviously had great leadership qualities.

stonecold
SS Life Member

stkfc1 wrote:You dont have to be the best player on the team, you just have to be the best leader. Dont think Maxwell for the pies or Harley for the cats were their greatest players but they obviously had great leadership qualities.
This!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
To the top
SS Life Member

The enduring concern I have is the ability of sides to score against us so easily by using space and unopposed players - and that was in evidence again v WCE

You look at the players running unimpeded to the goal line and ask questions

Particularly when the passage of play commences after we kick a behind

How and why is this happening - and continuing to happen?

Where and what is responsibility?

stonecold
SS Life Member

To the top wrote:The enduring concern I have is the ability of sides to score against us so easily by using space and unopposed players - and that was in evidence again v WCE

It's called a breakdown in structure, which in simple terms means a 'role player' hasn't played his role correctly!!!!!

Modern day football!!!!!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote:You dont have to be the best player on the team, you just have to be the best leader. Dont think Maxwell for the pies or Harley for the cats were their greatest players but they obviously had great leadership qualities.
Yep, it's all about leadership and we are well led. He is one tough cookie and asks the same of those around him.

As for his football it's been very good.

stonecold
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
Yep, it's all about leadership and we are well led. He is one tough cookie and asks the same of those around him.

As for his football it's been very good.
This!!!!!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:The enduring concern I have is the ability of sides to score against us so easily by using space and unopposed players - and that was in evidence again v WCE

It's frustrating when we are making all the play and dominating statistics, locking the ball in our forward line with weight of numbers. And kicking mainly points.

Then the opposition makes the break and uses all that open space to run for an easy goal.

But I don't see that as the captain's fault. That comes under tactics and game plan. The coach's responsibility.

To score more often we've got to find a way of making space for Membrey, Bruce, Billings and Gresham. And of denying the opposition space when they press forward.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Has consistently done all the things that matter and go unnoticed by many

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Yea, I've been pretty happy with him. He'll never be a superstar but for where we are at the moment I think he's the right guy for the job. He's certainly improved over the last few years - no where near as many clangers. And is toughness and courage can't be questioned.

For mine the skipper only has to be a walk up start in the starting 18 - not in the best 5 players. Once he starts to waver and form slips then they may look at it. But for now with the transition period of Roo and quite likely Joey retiring, a guy like Gears is very important to us.

Who are the alternatives? Stuv? Seb? Newnes? Billings? Robbo? Gilbo?

Steven is possibly the only serious challenger for mine. Gears is doing his job both as a leader as well as a solid backman.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Yea, I've been pretty happy with him. He'll never be a superstar but for where we are at the moment I think he's the right guy for the job. He's certainly improved over the last few years - no where near as many clangers. And is toughness and courage can't be questioned.

For mine the skipper only has to be a walk up start in the starting 18 - not in the best 5 players. Once he starts to waver and form slips then they may look at it. But for now with the transition period of Roo and quite likely Joey retiring, a guy like Gears is very important to us.

Steven is possibly the only serious challenger for mine. Gears is doing his job both as a leader as well as a solid backman.
Well put, colleague. I remember players like Andrew Thompson, who were not the " superstars " but performed admirably and consistently in their support roles. No team gets by without the honest ( if unspectacular ) toilers in the side.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saintbob
SS Life Member

He has been pretty good
fingers wrote:Has consistently done all the things that matter and go unnoticed by many

+1

Vazelos
Club Player

Geary is a valuable respected member of our senior group.
He has been very good this year.
Not every Captain is a super star like Riewoldt.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Yea, I've been pretty happy with him. He'll never be a superstar but for where we are at the moment I think he's the right guy for the job. He's certainly improved over the last few years - no where near as many clangers. And is toughness and courage can't be questioned.

Jake The Snake could be vice captain easily

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.