Melbourne, TB Oval and the Premier Lounge.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

A chilly midnight arrival at Tulla on Friday morning set the mood for a weekend of anxiety and ultimately, relief. Melbourne is my home city and although I have been absent for 24 years I was quickly reminded about how much I have missed it. I love the cold weather, it makes you feel alive.
I scrambled for the Saints puffer jacket and picked up the rental car, grabbed a pepperoni, pineapple and chicken pizza on the road and headed for a 7 hour snooze in a cheap inner city suburb motel.
The next morning, I queued for a breakfast of champions (2 Sth Melb Market dim sims and a spring roll) at the Vic Markets followed by a lovely walk thru the colourful stalls on a cold and windy morning. It wasnt packed with vendors and punters like I remembered but it was enough to fill my desire for nostalgia.
I stopped into my sisters for lunch at her Beatrice St apartment and downed a crispy pork Banh mi at her local cafe and chatted about times gone by.
Friday night, I wandered solo through the city taking in the sights and wonders of Melbourne. Memories of my younger days flooded back as I walked past the bars and restaurants I had visited regularly many years ago and I stood in awe of the majesty of Melbourne once again. A spicy chicken vindaloo heated my belly and a few cold beers were a good night cap.I retired for the night at another sisters place in Hampton and plotted my movements for Saturday.
At 930am, I went down to Seaford to watch my childhood friends son play Rugby union. A fine display by 2 undefeated sides ended in a win to my friends team. I could have been excused for thinking I was on a Polynesian Island in the pacific but then again it was another reminder of how times have changed and what a wonderful host Melbourne has been to all its peoples from all around the world.
After a coffee and chat in a small cafe (where Robert Harveys mother was pointed out as she visited the local shops) with my old friend, I headed off to Trevor Barker Oval.
Anxiety was rife as I watched what should have been a cake walk run home in the last to the Zebs; be overturned by Casey against all odds.
In contrast to the the Saints loss to Port, which was a last minute kill, the last 30 minutes of the game was a drawn out nightmare.
In atrocious conditions, the Zebs seemed set to run all over Casey at 3 qtr time. As I headed to the canteen for a hot coffee, the 6 goal wind we were to kick with, dropped to a 3 goal wind and dark clouds loomed. Turnovers and 50 metre penalties cost us dearly and with 10 minutes to go I already felt the loss. It was a shocker. I had been chatting to a few locals and felt that Sandy reallt arent invested in our partnership anymore. Maybe, if it is possible, we should go it alone in the VFL.
Not much came from my hopes to see some young guns either. Lonie was....well he was Lonie. He got plenty and did a few good things but lacked the polish and presence that someone like Sinclair is producing. Some more time in the VFL will serve him well.
Long was disappointing and does some stupid things. Two 50 metre charges from the back pocket by Ray Conellan looked inspiring. He has pace, he has learnt to bounce the ball and his kicking was neat. He looks like a really good outside runner. Worth another year or 2 I feel.
In difficult conditions, Lewis Pierce was consistent for 3 qtrs at CHB, Marshall fought hard at FF in unpredictable winds. Both took a couple of strong grabs and brought the ball to ground well.
Battle showed glimpses that he is too talented to stay in the VFL and we may see him feature more next year without Roo around.
Memories of tracking the VFL circuit with my dad in the 80s and 90s was enough to appease me but I went to sleep that night uncomfortable with the seemingly bad luck with the wind and lack of skill and determination displayed by our VFL boys.
On Sunday morning I slept in. I was in a panic and my nephew, who was driving up from Gippsland was late. i got locked in the sisters bathroom.after I broke the door handle and plans to be at the Premier lounge by 1140 were blown as we boarded the Flinder St bound 1116 at Brighton Beach Station.
I had dads scarf around my neck and an older women on the train commented on how old it looked. It is 36 years old and hand knitted. I told her I had bought it down from Queensland and that dad had asked me to take it to all the matches I attended, before he died, for old times sake. I will do the same with my daughter who is eager to maintain the legacy. The old lady said 'lets hope your loyalty brings us a win'.
I suddenly felt contented. Win, lose or draw, this is all about loyalty. My nephew smiled and said 'Pa would have loved this'. Pa did.
When we arrived at the function you couldnt wipe the smile off my nephews face. He was taking photos and sending them to his son and was just overwhelmed with the grandeur of the event.
It was a long way from the windsock at Moorabin where I was initiated into Sainthood and for a country boy, it was a real treat. We made it in time for the Welcome and got stuck into the Carlton Draught on tap. We listened to the pregame address and entertainment.
A good number of players attended and they were generous with photos and a chat. After 4 pots in the first hour there was a real vibe in the air and I was becoming confident. The event was a alreal treat for me because I shared it with my nephew. He will remember it forever.
You all know the outcome of the game. For us it was very satisfying. For me seeing Jack Billings kick that goal brings hope. A turning point for the lad and hopefully also for our future as a club. The scarf is safe and sound in the cupboard and I probably wont get it out again this year, but, there is a chance and there is always hope that I will. Im looking at cheap flights from Brisbane for finals for the wife and kids just in case.
Thanks to the Saintsational Sponsor group for making this past weekend one to remember.
CQ Saint.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

{mod edit - 2 of the same threads were merged - resulting in a double post - this being the double post and hence edited}
Last edited by CQ SAINT on Tue 08 Aug 2017 2:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: Melbourne, TB Oval and the Premier Lounge.

OMG
how long did it take to type up a post
that's as long as a Harry Potter book.

Ever read Dan Brown?
His books are popular, because among other things, each chapter is only 2 and a half pages.
Makes them easy to read.

<sigh>
I decided to take on the onerous task of ploughing through the enormous mass of text...
One thing I noticed, you bought 2 "Sth Melb market dim sims" at Vic Market?
Hmm
Anyways...that invoked some great memories of taste- no matter where I go in Perth for dim sims, nobody can ever make dimmies like the ones from the markets in Melbourne.
I don't know how they do it, but they cannot be replicated.
The oil, the soy sauce, it nearly brings a tear to the eye...

Well, I did read your massive missive all the way to the end,
and it impressed me a great deal. Brought back memories of those years spent in sub-zero Melbourne, good and bad.

Thanks for sharing your story, and thanks for giving this old grump a dose of wistful nostalgia for times passed.

Cheers
Last edited by WellardSaint on Tue 08 Aug 2017 2:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Nice post mate, I am glad you had a great experience.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:TL; DR
OMG

Ever read Dan Brown?
His books are popular, because among other things, each chapter is only 2 and a half pages.
Makes them easy to read.
It was easy WS. I took an extra day off. Thanks for reading it and your brief response. You shouldnt have bothered but well donr.

Ha ha. You softened your edit. Thanks. Sth Melbourne Market dim sims are everywhere.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:
OMG

Ever read Dan Brown?
Makes them easy to read.
It was easy WS. I took an extra day off. Thanks for reading it and your brief response. You shouldnt have bothered but well donr.

Ha ha. You softened your edit. Thanks. Sth Melbourne Market dim sims are everywhere.
One thing funny about Vic Market, is that the back car park is on the site of Melbourne's first cemetery!
I think they removed most of the remains before building Vic Market,
but knowing I used to park on top of someone's earthly remains...(shivers)

Vic Market is the best place for great value food, and running shoes, and all sorts of clothes and other items.
Ahh...memories

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Great effort CQ. I'm sure you would have had a great day anyway but it really makes a difference when they win.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
dals_da_bomb
Club Player

This was a nice way to spend my lunch break.

Great reading.

Glad you had a great time! But the cold - no - its awful!

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
loris
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT - Than you for sharing all your experiences and thoughts - it was lovely reading.

I hope your Dad's scarf gets another run this season. We can cross our fingers that it will eventuate.

Like you I've been looking at cheap flights from Perth just incase we sneak into the finals. But one can't do any bookings, as it will be hard to predict where the Saints will be playing, Melbourne, Adelaide, Sydney or Perth. By the last game, when it becomes finalised, cheap flights will not be available. That's the problem with being an Interstate/Overseas supporter, finals become exceptionally expensive, especially from Perth.

I too miss Melbourne's cold weather. I love it when the cold wind blows up from the Antarctic, and makes ones bones feel oh so brittle.
I only wish our home ground was the MCG where you can experience the varying elements of the weather as you watch the footy. I really dislike that sanitised Etihad Stadium, everything is so manufactured. For me the only thing it has going for it is, the view.

Thanks again for your post - I just loved it. Hope to see your Dad's scarf proudly waving this September.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

KUDOS! Great OP!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote:
OMG

Ever read Dan Brown?
Makes them easy to read.

Indeed, CQ SAINT. I found some in a little service station in Elmore, 45 kms east of Bendigo! Lovely reminisce, btw. Sounds like a perfect weekend. A Template for the rest of us empty nesters.

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

CQ, thanks for the report; stoked you had such a good weekend and especially that you got to see us win a cracking game in person!

Always loyal
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Great post and reminder how good Melbourne is to live in.

Why anyone would live in another city in Australia by choice (ie not dictated by work) is beyond me.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Glad you enjoyed yourself CQ. An aside, I can get SM Market dimmies down my way - more than 200km from Melbourne. A bit too peppery for my tastes these days.

Glad you did what I do, ie, visit all the old haunts. Vic Market and hot jam-filled donuts from the American Donut Kitchen have been a staple for all my life. And I have the big guts to prove it too! Can't beat a quick Pellegrini's cappucino and a slice of pizza either.

We all need to down keyboards and take an extra 3 or four hours over the the next three weekends to explore our old haunts before going and reminiscing about how we all tipped Roo would be a champion the minute he was drafted!

Saint supporter since '62
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I love the long reads of our fan experiences. I think we don't have enough on this site.

I think everyone's experience as a fan is different and diverse, but I love hearing about everybody's Sainter moments - it's what binds us together as a footy club.

Well done CQ Saint and I hope your experience inspires others to share their supporter moments, too.

It was really nice to hear somebody else's impressions of Melbourne also. It's been a great place to live by my goodness, isn't she packed to the rafters these days...

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Great post and reminder how good Melbourne is to live in.

Why anyone would live in another city in Australia by choice (ie not dictated by work) is beyond me.
I have to live in Perth for financial reasons as well as family, and my health ( Melbourne's climate has a bad impact on me)

I would move back if I had a big lottery win, except for the worries over car-jackings and Apex urban street theatre (with unwilling folks playing major roles )