I hope our club has learned from the Dunstan project

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I hope our club has learned from the Dunstan project

Luke Dunstan was a stalled project...

Starting 22, slowish, average disposal, tough as nails, hard working, average tank

He was ok to disappointing. The biggest problem being that he simply didn't get enough ball but still played good quarters... a 13 disposals to half time, 20 for the match type.

In lacking midfield, he was kind of a plodder.

We dropped him for a few weeks, he went back and played full matches as s mid in the VFL.

Earned his way back in, had a ripping 25 possession game and...
Went back to being mediocre. Same as before. BM blew a gasket saying he wasn't fit enough.

Was dropped for a few weeks. He went back and played full matches as s mid in the VFL.

Earned his way back in, had a ripping 25 possession game and... was dropped a week or 2 later following some mediocre performances.

Now... he's had 25+ possession games 3 weeks in a row. And he's full of running. This is how this reserves thing is suppose to work. Players are supposed to specifically work on the aspects of their game that are lacking and come back in once they've made decent progress.

It's what they did with Savage. It's what they look like they're doing with Lonie too even if the results aren't there yet.

That's why it doesn't bother me if guys like DMac, Acres, Steele etc are dropped from time to time. It's why I wouldn't mind seeing Longer (not now so much but earlier) go back on on occasion with the specific task of running around to get more ball...
But most importantly, I'd liked to see some tougher love for guys like Weller and Gresh to a lesser degree that are decent players with gaps in their game.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: I hope our club has learned from the Dunstan project

skeptic wrote:Luke Dunstan was a stalled project...

Starting 22, slowish, average disposal, tough as nails, hard working, average tank

He was ok to disappointing. The biggest problem being that he simply didn't get enough ball but still played good quarters... a 13 disposals to half time, 20 for the match type.

We dropped him for a few weeks, he went back and played full matches as s mid in the VFL.

Went back to being mediocre. Same as before. BM blew a gasket saying he wasn't fit enough.

Was dropped for a few weeks. He went back and played full matches as s mid in the VFL.

Earned his way back in, had a ripping 25 possession game and... was dropped a week or 2 later following some mediocre performances.

Now... he's had 25+ possession games 3 weeks in a row. And he's full of running. This is how this reserves thing is suppose to work. Players are supposed to specifically work on the aspects of their game that are lacking and come back in once they've made decent progress.

It's what they did with Savage. It's what they look like they're doing with Lonie too even if the results aren't there yet.

That's why it doesn't bother me if guys like DMac, Acres, Steele etc are dropped from time to time. It's why I wouldn't mind seeing Longer (not now so much but earlier) go back on on occasion with the specific task of running around to get more ball...
But most importantly, I'd liked to see some tougher love for guys like Weller and Gresh to a lesser degree that are decent players with gaps in their game.
Excellent post! Kudos to you colleague!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Dunstan was always going to b something special fom the moment we threw him to the wolves in his first season and expected him to be our hard inside mid. hardest initiation since ball. two shoulder reconstructions latter, no development time at Sandy they finally gave him the spell he needed and time to work on his game and tank.
Compare his stats with Lenny at the same age - bearing in mind since his spell he has been much better than his season averages. They guy is a beauty. Expect him to continue on next season to become our new Lenny.

Luke Lenny
13. Games 20
9.6 Kicks Per Game 10.0
10.4 Handballs Per Game 10.2
20.0 Disposals Per Game 20.2
4.2 Marks Per Game 3.3
0.6 Goals Per Game 0.4
0.4 Behinds Per Game 0.2
4.9 Tackles Per Game 5.0

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

I always likened Lenny to the young pup learning the craft off the old sheepdog, R Harvey. Lenny had a long apprenticeship under Harves before blossoming into the star he became. People forget that.

Dunstan had one season under Lenny's mentoring. It's been a tough slog for him with some nasty injuries along the way. I'm wrapt in the player I've seen the past three games. He is an incredibly strong individual and is proving he can be extremely damaging to opposing teams.

Sometimes, you just have to find your own way. Sandringham stint or not, Luke has put in the hard work and is starting to reap what he has sown. Good on him.

Saint supporter since '62
Joe Bloggs
Club Player

And that goal from the boundary...wow..

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Joe Bloggs wrote:And that goal from the boundary...wow..
It's what any decent left footer worth their salt should do from that possie given the new "Buddy rule" whereby players can line up sideways from the goal front and scrrwnit through. Very much a set play shot at goal and very rugby like nowadays

Very good OP. Let's hope this is the turning point for Dunny. He will go on the chain a bit methinks but hopefully that releases Stuv, who btw had 11 possies in the final term. Maybe he's getting fit again also!!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Great post.

I was always concerned we (ie the club) were going to stamp Luke's papers too soon and we'd lose him as steak knives in a trade or banish him to the VFL for good, and it would come back to bite us.

Thankfully those at the club have a bit more patience than some of the posters around here...

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Luke Dunstan was a stalled project...

Dunstan is having a good patch but this is only one side of the coin.

His replacement needs to deserves a game.

You have to replace him with someone who is considered better at the time.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I think Dunstan is close to going to another level. He will be our No.1 insider.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Seems to have gone up a level, since Marto left!!!!!

Good Post!!!!!

Interesting comparison with Lenny and some on here suggest we struggle to develop players!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Saint wagga
Club Player

I thought the club did learn...through Seb Ross...it's Probably us fans who are too quick to expect consistent a grade performances from young players!! Who'd have thought even 2 years we'd hear a commentator say "Ross...puts on the jets"!! Dunstan looks like he'll be a good afl player. How good? Let's hope a Gun!!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: I hope ur club has learned from the Dunstan project

Just another thing about Dunny that may have hindered him until recently is that he started as a teenager in a man's body. I wonder if that didn't allow him to build up the aerobic fitness base required for his role?

He seems a lot fitter now and can actually run out games.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
shrodes
SS Life Member

He's been great since his break in the VFL. Whether he used that time to build a tank / work on other aspects of his game with less pressure, or whether it was just a boot up the backside to win his spot back in the main squad I don't know, but it's definitely paid off!

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

No you've got it all wrong. Players must make an immediate impact in the AFL at 18 and its a sign if a failed draft pick if they are playing any VFL minutes. :shock: :shock: :shock:

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL