What a difference in post game emotions.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

What a difference in post game emotions.

WHAT a roller coaster of emotions we Sainters ride. Last week in Adelaide I felt just about as bad as I have felt in years! Yesterday? well it was just pure JOY! On my way out of the ground, I saw a group of (obviously) very disappointed West Coast fans. With memories still raw, of the appalling behaviour we encountered last week in Adelaide, I simply said to them, "bad luck folks, your team played well" I was then offered handshakes and congratulations from these shattered fans. "have a safe trip back" I said. I didn't do this in order to get any medals, but to simply show that Saints fans can pay credit to a worthy opponent, and wish their supporters well. it IS a game after all!
Last week at Adelaide we got only scorn and abuse from the (ahem) "winning" supporters. I choose to be above that crap!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: What a difference in post game emotions.

Must've been tempting to say to them "it's hard to win flags with all this drug testing"

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

All class mate. Good to hear stories like that.

No doubt those Eagles supporters will tell that story to others also. Its a positive chain effect.

Whilst the Saints should make it hard and initimdating for an opposition side to visit Etihad/Melbourne...lets still stay classy as a club in general and respect opposition supporters and players. After the siren especially.

There are some real turds of people at footy games (minority of Saints fans included). Hearing stories about Adelaide has prettt much ensured I will never travel to watch a Saints game there EVER. Even a prelim final.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:WHAT a roller coaster of emotions we Sainters ride. Last week in Adelaide I felt just about as bad as I have felt in years! Yesterday? well it was just pure JOY! On my way out of the ground, I saw a group of (obviously) very disappointed West Coast fans. With memories still raw, of the appalling behaviour we encountered last week in Adelaide, I simply said to them, "bad luck folks, your team played well" I was then offered handshakes and congratulations from these shattered fans. "have a safe trip back" I said. I didn't do this in order to get any medals, but to simply show that Saints fans can pay credit to a worthy opponent, and wish their supporters well. it IS a game after all!
Last week at Adelaide we got only scorn and abuse from the (ahem) "winning" supporters. I choose to be above that crap!
I've never found Eagles supporters to be too bad. On the other hand, Port supporters seem to have only one purpose on this planet: to make Collingwood supporters look good. It is instructive that, while Eagles and Dockers supporters tend to have a bit of
a soft spot for their hometown rivals, most Crows supporters will generally cheer on any other team against Port.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Must've been tempting to say to them "it's hard to win flags with all this drug testing"

Well, as strange as it may seem to your good self.......... no! I saw these folk, saw their expressions, and had a flashback to being in THEIR position last week in Adelaide. Just made a spontaneous decision to offer them commiserations, luckily, they saw my gesture for what it was and had the generosity of spirit to accept it.

Call me soft, but it gave me almost as much pleasure as the win, to interact positively with opposing fans.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Best day at work in some time.

Upbeat barely covers it.

All the Melbourne flogs that I work with... and there are quite a few, are too busy staring at ladder predictors and how they have blown it.

Head nowhere near being in the game IMO. Hope their shyte club is thinking in a similar way.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

meher baba wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:WHAT a roller coaster of emotions we Sainters ride. Last week in Adelaide I felt just about as bad as I have felt in years! Yesterday? well it was just pure JOY! On my way out of the ground, I saw a group of (obviously) very disappointed West Coast fans. With memories still raw, of the appalling behaviour we encountered last week in Adelaide, I simply said to them, "bad luck folks, your team played well" I was then offered handshakes and congratulations from these shattered fans. "have a safe trip back" I said. I didn't do this in order to get any medals, but to simply show that Saints fans can pay credit to a worthy opponent, and wish their supporters well. it IS a game after all!
I've never found Eagles supporters to be too bad. On the other hand, Port supporters seem to have only one purpose on this planet: to make Collingwood supporters look good. It is instructive that, while Eagles and Dockers supporters tend to have a bit of
a soft spot for their hometown rivals, most Crows supporters will generally cheer on any other team against Port.
You give your location as "Tasmania".
How do you pretend to know how Eagles and Dockers fan behave?
I moved from Melbourne to Perth nearly 20 years ago.
You could not be more wrong.
Eagles and Dockers fans hate each other, and rejoice when their cross-town opponents get beaten, especially in a close one.
Perth folks behave like small-town rednecks with a massive chip on the shoulder.
An Eagles fan will always barrack for whovever the Dockers are up against, and vice versa.

The media plays this up to a tee, and the "Derby" between WCE and Dockers gets a huge amount of publicity.
There's never been fights between the two mobs, like Adelaide, but the feeling of abject hatred is all around.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saint64
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:
meher baba wrote:
Eagles and Dockers fans hate each other, and rejoice when their cross-town opponents get beaten, especially in a close one.
Perth folks behave like small-town rednecks with a massive chip on the shoulder.
An Eagles fan will always barrack for whovever the Dockers are up against, and vice versa.

The media plays this up to a tee, and the "Derby" between WCE and Dockers gets a huge amount of publicity.
There's never been fights between the two mobs, like Adelaide, but the feeling of abject hatred is all around.
Too true Wellardsaint. And in my experience Eagles supporters are far worse than Dockers supporters. They have a smugness about them Dockers supporters don't have. They aren't as bad as Collingwood supporters (I'm still scarred from post GF 2010), but they are still truly Evil.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Well done, Jiggster! You're a true diplomat for the St.Kilda Footy Club. I think the club should employ you as our ambassador for the interstate games and to help make the interstate supporters feel welcome in Melbourne.

I also choose to be above the rubbish supporters who think it's fun to rub salt into the losing opposition supporters' wounds. Unless they try to antagonise from the start, it is simply never warranted. Sore winners are more of a pain than sore losers.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

saint64 wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:
meher baba wrote:

Too true Wellardsaint. And in my experience Eagles supporters are far worse than Dockers supporters. They have a smugness about them Dockers supporters don't have. They aren't as bad as Collingwood supporters (I'm still scarred from post GF 2010), but they are still truly Evil.
The WCE smugness is annoying, and they rub in their "2 flags" as often as they can.
Because they joined the comp much earlier than the Shockers, they have that "older brother" syndrome happening, where they believe they can bully the Dockers.

I get really annoyed with how the media describes a loss- "devastating" is a usual word, as if the sky is about to fall. It's the end of the world for them.

Sitting at Subi supporting the Saints, I am not allowed to cheer any Saints goals; if we call for a free we get shouted down by the horde...
There are kids with poles that have 4m-long WCE penants; when they score a goal, they flick the end of it right in front of my face, and their families just laugh...
and we get comments from neighbours and workmates such as "You live in Perth, why do you still go for an eastern states' team?"

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
saint64 wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:
meher baba wrote:

The WCE smugness is annoying, and they rub in their "2 flags" as often as they can.
Because they joined the comp much earlier than the Shockers, they have that "older brother" syndrome happening, where they believe they can bully the Dockers.

I get really annoyed with how the media describes a loss- "devastating" is a usual word, as if the sky is about to fall. It's the end of the world for them.

Sitting at Subi supporting the Saints, I am not allowed to cheer any Saints goals; if we call for a free we get shouted down by the horde...
There are kids with poles that have 4m-long WCE penants; when they score a goal, they flick the end of it right in front of my face, and their families just laugh...
and we get comments from neighbours and workmates such as "You live in Perth, why do you still go for an eastern states' team?"
Great post WS. You give a great insight into the trials, tribulations and ( sometimes!) triumphs of being a Sainter in another State. Noddy04 also spoke to me last weekend about how awful it can be when "home state" fans give us curry!

Last year I had the great pleasure of attending the pre-game function on the Gold Coast. The Queensland Sainters put on a heck of a lunch for us, with good speakers ( including Nicky Winmar ) THEN the side got absolutely PASTED by the Suns :twisted: I couldn't help but feel sorry for all those girls and boys who'd made us SO welcome, having to watch THAT!

Good on interstate Saints! Salt of the earth!

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:

WS, it sounds like you need to sit with some fellow Sainters whenever you watch us play at Subi. I usually can't stand being near opposition supporters whilst a match is going. I just get too one-eyed and it's definitely for the better that I keep a distance from them.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:

WS, it sounds like you need to sit with some fellow Sainters whenever you watch us play at Subi. I usually can't stand being near opposition supporters whilst a match is going. I just get too one-eyed and it's definitely for the better that I keep a distance from them.
In 2010, Mrs Jigging and myself had the good fortune to spend some time in WA. Four nights in Broome, then three in Perth. During our stay in Perth I went along to Subiaco where the Saints were playing against the Eagles. I sat with the Cheer Squad, however there were a few WC supporters who were giving me a fair bit of banter during the match, most of it I hasten to add, good natured.

The Saints got up that day! These blokes could not have been more sporting at game's end, and each one offered me their handshake!

I accept of course that not everyone is as lucky as me.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:

In 2010, Mrs Jigging and myself had the good fortune to spend some time in WA. Four nights in Broome, then three in Perth. During our stay in Perth I went along to Subiaco where the Saints were playing against the Eagles. I sat with the Cheer Squad, however there were a few WC supporters who were giving me a fair bit of banter during the match, most of it I hasten to add, good natured.

The Saints got up that day! These blokes could not have been more sporting at game's end, and each one offered me their handshake!

I accept of course that not everyone is as lucky as me.
Great story, Jiggster. Sometimes some harmless banter with opposition fans can be jolly fun. Plenty of good folk supporting the opposition clubs out there. It's a shame they aren't the ones who give their club's supporters the reputation, instead of the mean-spirited supporters.