Paddy McFatty?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paddy McFatty?

saynta wrote:
Sainternist wrote:A Richmond supporting mate of mine reckons one of McCartin's problems is he is carrying a little too much excess weight for an AFL player of the modern game. Said he looked to be more in proportion with a full forward playing back in the 90s.

In all fairness, our number 1 draft pick does look a little like a pudgy version of the kid on the cover of MAD Magazine.

Perhaps a leaner Paddy would work better than a beefy paddy. Thoughts?

You have mates that support Richmond?
Perhaps I should be more discerning of whom I befriend.

"Sorry mate, we can't be friends any more, because you're a Richmond supporter!"

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

stonecold wrote:
David-Lee wrote:Rubbish. I have never flown the Paddy flag but his fitness is purely at present a neurological issue. He has excellent skin folds. Go to a practice in the summer check the guys out. No one came in with any fat folds...no one. He could lose 5 kilos but why? He is 94 kilos presently according to the trainer and he is not overweight. His strengths are sitting in goal square with a sanger waiting for a high floater. He excels in this...so trying to make him Roo is wrong. I want him to be a brilliant forawrd. I dont think he will recover nuerologically but what do any of is really know?

Fat. Damn. Rubbish. Not a single saint is overweight. Not Carlisle not any of the big boys. Now on a finer point we here are the brain trust have been discussing Paddy in the backline. Could it work? Some say he lacks the speed but club tests say he is as fast or faster than Carlisle and Brown.
Good Post Bruce, well said!!!!!
Spot on. Weight is the least of Paddy's problems. Neurological damage is.

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:A Richmond supporting mate of mine reckons one of McCartin's problems is he is carrying a little too much excess weight for an AFL player of the modern game. Said he looked to be more in proportion with a full forward playing back in the 90s.

In all fairness, our number 1 draft pick does look a little like a pudgy version of the kid on the cover of MAD Magazine.

Brilliant! :roll:

Never considered that as a potential issue.

Send this to the club, should help them solve all his problems in one fell swoop.

Imagine such insight from a Tiger supporter, who'd have guessed!

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:

Brilliant! :roll:

Never considered that as a potential issue.

Send this to the club, should help them solve all his problems in one fell swoop.

Imagine such insight from a Tiger supporter, who'd have guessed!
No need to be precious!

I knew there would be some Captain Obvious types to poo-poo this suggestion. Nothing seems to ever surprise me on Saintsational!

dals_da_bomb
Club Player

I thought he was cutting fine figure last weeks training session.

I have family that work with the dietitian team at Hawks - I keen to get her opinion.

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

dals_da_bomb wrote:...

I have family that work with the dietitian team at Hawks - I keen to get her opinion.
Me too. Probably none of us here are medically qualified to know the exact impact of type 1 diabetes on the level of fitness required at AFL level for the elite. We were "assured" by the club almost three years ago that it made no difference, which was hard to believe then and even harder to believe now. As I said, I'm no medical expert, but I have a couple of friends with type 1 and they need to follow a low carb diet - the opposite to most high performance athletes.

As far as the opinion of the Richmond supporter is concerned, it is nothing more than has been said on this board before (including by me) over the years. What took him so long? You would have to be blind not to notice - but perhaps some were - just like we were blind for many years to the fact that Ben McEvoy wasn't fit for even one day he played for us. So yes, let's get the opinion of someone from Hawthorn.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

dals_da_bomb wrote:I thought he was cutting fine figure last weeks training session.

I'd be very curious to hear an expert's opinion on the matter. If you could get back to us after asking her, that would be fantastic.

Cheers, DDB!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Is this like the guy who walks into the chemist who says his mate has the clap?

If everyone started a thread because of what their mate told them...

Not your greatest work, Sainterist.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Is this like the guy who walks into the chemist who says his mate has the clap?

Perhaps not, but something may come out of nothing here, Dal's the Bomb may bring us some expert information, as they are friends with the Hawthorn club dietician. No good?

freely
SS Hall of Fame

perfectionist wrote:
dals_da_bomb wrote:...

Me too. Probably none of us here are medically qualified to know the exact impact of type 1 diabetes on the level of fitness required at AFL level for the elite. We were "assured" by the club almost three years ago that it made no difference, which was hard to believe then and even harder to believe now. As I said, I'm no medical expert, but I have a couple of friends with type 1 and they need to follow a low carb diet - the opposite to most high performance athletes.

As far as the opinion of the Richmond supporter is concerned, it is nothing more than has been said on this board before (including by me) over the years. What took him so long? You would have to be blind not to notice - but perhaps some were - just like we were blind for many years to the fact that Ben McEvoy wasn't fit for even one day he played for us. So yes, let's get the opinion of someone from Hawthorn.
This has probably been posted somewhere before - but Paddy's far from the only athlete with diabetes. Here's the list of AFL players:
Nathan Bassett, Adelaide, type 1.
Jamie Cripps, St Kilda and West Coast, type 1.
Jack Fitzpatrick, Melbourne, Hawthorn type 1.
Brandon Jack, Sydney, type 1.
Paddy McCartin, St Kilda, type 1.
Sam Reid, Western Bulldogs and Greater Western Sydney, type 1.
Dale Weightman, Richmond, type 1.

And some rugby players:
Rugby league
Steve Renouf, Brisbane (1988–1999), Queensland and Australia centre, type 1.
Brett Stewart, Manly (2003–), New South Wales and Australia fullback, type 1.
Lance Thompson, St George Dragons (1995–2005), Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks (2006–2008)
Rugby union
Rod Kafer, Australian Test player (12 caps, 1999–2000), type 1.
Henry Slade, Exeter Chiefs[citation needed]
Chris Pennell, Worcester Warriors and England, Type 1

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Is this like the guy who walks into the chemist who says his mate has the clap?

Perhaps not, but something may come out of nothing here, Dal's the Bomb may bring us some expert information, as they are friends with the Hawthorn club dietician. No good?
All good.

I just don't think he looks that fat and weight isn't his problem.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
dals_da_bomb
Club Player

Im going to need clear instruction on what to ask her!

1. is 94kg heavy for a 22 yr (?) type 1 diabetic?

2. would concussions have an impact on the BODY?

3. ...............................................................

(or edit as needed!)

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
loris
Saintsational Legend

Dale Weightman was an ex-student of mine. He was doing a part-time hospitality course at the William Angliss Institute whilst he was playing with Richmond.
I used to have Dale in a couple of classes. An early Monday morning three hour class was always an issue for Dale with his insulin doses, after playing football at the weekend. However by the Wednesday class he had his insulin doses under control. It varies considerably between Type 1 diabetics their programs.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

dals_da_bomb wrote:Im going to need clear instruction on what to ask her!

1. is 94kg heavy for a 22 yr (?) type 1 diabetic?

2. would concussions have an impact on the BODY?

3. ...............................................................

(or edit as needed!)
Yes, all of the above. Interesting to note that his Wikipedia page says he's 100kg, but the club website says he's 95kg. Perhaps he is getting his weight down.
loris wrote:Dale Weightman was an ex-student of mine. He was doing a part-time hospitality course at the William Angliss Institute whilst he was playing with Richmond.
I used to have Dale in a couple of classes. An early Monday morning three hour class was always an issue for Dale with his insulin doses, after playing football at the weekend. However by the Wednesday class he had his insulin doses under control. It varies considerably between Type 1 diabetics their programs.
Ah, the Flea! Apart from having trouble with those Monday morning classes, was he a good student, Loris?

I believe he grew up a mad keen St.Kilda supporter. Would have been nice to have a student to have the occasional chat about the footy with.

GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

loris wrote:Dale Weightman was an ex-student of mine. He was doing a part-time hospitality course at the William Angliss Institute whilst he was playing with Richmond.
Spot on , Loris. Conditions vary as much as individuals do. I have a sister in law with type 1 and she has a mild form that she controls easily. I had a work colleague who suffered from constant hypos, fainting a lot and having to be completely anal about what he put into his body and how much insulin to inject. It takes all types. For the club to come out and say it wasn't an issue was either naive or disingenuous. The thing with diabetes is you can never be totally sure.

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure why we needed another thread on this, especially one with such a distasteful title.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Joe Bloggs
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I don't think think he is fat.
But I would like to see him lean up and start his career on a fwd flank.
Expecting a kid to come in to the AFL and 'crash packs' against mature hardened defenders is silly.
Wish I was as far as paddy.

stonecold
SS Life Member

kosifantutti wrote:I'm not sure why we needed another thread on this, especially one with such a distasteful title.
Me neither, we are supposed to support our players, especially in their time of need!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Dude, he was clearly hungover.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

David-Lee wrote:Rubbish. I have never flown the Paddy flag but his fitness is purely at present a neurological issue. He has excellent skin folds. Go to a practice in the summer check the guys out. No one came in with any fat folds...no one. He could lose 5 kilos but why? He is 94 kilos presently according to the trainer and he is not overweight. His strengths are sitting in goal square with a sanger waiting for a high floater. He excels in this...so trying to make him Roo is wrong. I want him to be a brilliant forawrd. I dont think he will recover nuerologically but what do any of is really know?

Fat. Damn. Rubbish. Not a single saint is overweight. Not Carlisle not any of the big boys. Now on a finer point we here are the brain trust have been discussing Paddy in the backline. Could it work? Some say he lacks the speed but club tests say he is as fast or faster than Carlisle and Brown.
It wouldn't be hard to be faster than Brown. Slow as treacle.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:I'm not sure why we needed another thread on this, especially one with such a distasteful title.
Good to see it grabbed your attention, Kosi!

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

A bit like a car crash.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:A bit like a car crash.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: